Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for October 2020: Jobs and Occupations  (Read 11965 times)

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
Re: Theme of the Month for October 2020: Jobs and Occupations
« Reply #120 on: October 27, 2020, 02:22:45 PM »

'Spinning Jenny' - a 12 part 3/2 hornpipe which I found in 'John of the Green The Cheshire Way'
https://youtu.be/OyCrmFrbg2A

The tune dates from 1705 - so well before the invention of the spinning jenny. It was first published by Thomas Marsden - and the tune made me think about my family connection with the textile industry. I recall crawling into a huge textile machine with a large spanner, whilst working for a short while at the Mill my late Dad managed in Marsden, West Yorkshire. The Mill is now derelict...
I think I still need more work on the tune !

Julian
Old Bones Dance Band

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #121 on: October 27, 2020, 02:48:52 PM »

I'm getting a video unobtainable, Julian.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Julian S

« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2020, 03:13:26 PM »

I'm getting a video unobtainable, Julian.

Ooops ! Put it on wrong setting - should be ok now !

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Ellisteph

« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2020, 10:59:55 PM »

'Spinning Jenny' - a 12 part 3/2 hornpipe which I found in 'John of the Green The Cheshire Way'
https://youtu.be/OyCrmFrbg2A

The tune dates from 1705 - so well before the invention of the spinning jenny. It was first published by Thomas Marsden - and the tune made me think about my family connection with the textile industry. I recall crawling into a huge textile machine with a large spanner, whilst working for a short while at the Mill my late Dad managed in Marsden, West Yorkshire. The Mill is now derelict...
I think I still need more work on the tune !

Julian
Gosh this must have taken some dedicated study. I've just been following the dots in the book whilst listening to your playing. I can only (only!) see eleven parts in my copy; well done for working your way through it. John of the Green the Cheshire way is one of my favourite go to books when looking for something new, but every time I've got to this page my first thought is 'no, not this one' so it's refreshing to find someone prepared to have go at it.
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

Julian S

« Reply #124 on: October 28, 2020, 06:47:22 AM »

Re. Spinning Jenny - I don't recall ever spending so much time on a tune (not many distractions at the moment !). I did originally think of learning it in the original key of Gm - just about possible on my Dony - but I quickly gave up that idea but treated it as an exercise in stretching myself and trying to iron out faults in my overall playing - not entirely successfully of course. And yes - 11 parts not 12 - perhaps I'll compose another part ! I look at it and see an A and B part to start, then sets of variations on each, (i.e 2 A variations, 2 B variations, 2 A variations,2 B variations)followed by a one part ending. I repeat each 4 bar part twice. I wonder whether it might have been played as a duet - each musician taking different variations.
There are so many great tunes in the John of the Green book - what I have learned is to not be put off by the original key or apparent difficulty. Sometimes it's the title that attracts interest of course - and this months theme certainly helped.

Julian
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 08:34:46 AM by Julian S »
Old Bones Dance Band

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #125 on: October 28, 2020, 08:48:00 AM »

Good heavens Julian, well done!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #126 on: October 28, 2020, 09:52:19 AM »

The tune dates from 1705 - so well before the invention of the spinning jenny. It was first published by Thomas Marsden
Julian

That's quite a performance and an excellent achievement Julian.

I was confused, but intrigued by your comment that it was published a long time before the Spinning Jenny was invented. I think I have got to the bottom of it, though. In Chris P's Villiage Project edition, originally  transcribed by Pete Stewart in 2004, the title is given as Title obscured "nny, a new Hornpipe. Nanny?".

I wonder, at what point this was interpreted as "Spinning Jenny"? Or, maybe the title is original and was taken from another original copy of the manuscript.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #127 on: October 28, 2020, 10:04:30 AM »

Good digging Greg....
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Julian S

« Reply #128 on: October 28, 2020, 10:48:05 AM »

The tune dates from 1705 - so well before the invention of the spinning jenny. It was first published by Thomas Marsden
Julian

That's quite a performance and an excellent achievement Julian.

I was confused, but intrigued by your comment that it was published a long time before the Spinning Jenny was invented. I think I have got to the bottom of it, though. In Chris P's Villiage Project edition, originally  transcribed by Pete Stewart in 2004, the title is given as Title obscured "nny, a new Hornpipe. Nanny?".

I wonder, at what point this was interpreted as "Spinning Jenny"? Or, maybe the title is original and was taken from another original copy of the manuscript.

Yes - I found the original the other day as well. John Offord commented on the tune after I posted it on a FB forum yesterday, as follows
' The title of the original was torn off, so I just guessed it as being a personification which was given as the name of the machine which was invented later'

Whatever the title, I really like the tune, and I certainly am going to continue to work on it, and develop a more solid interpretation.

Julian
Old Bones Dance Band

Peadar

« Reply #129 on: October 29, 2020, 03:06:58 AM »

Oran o'n Eilean Leoghais, a cheilearas na h-iasgairean agus an obair a bha aca ann an latha na loidhne-mhor agus nan Zulu's

https://youtu.be/qdB21pGQEgQ
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #130 on: October 29, 2020, 08:30:34 AM »

Oran o'n Eilean Leoghais, a cheilearas na h-iasgairean agus an obair a bha aca ann an latha na loidhne-mhor agus nan Zulu's

Another interesting tune.

Do you know it's history? What are the Zulu's, or, should I say dè a th 'anns an zulus?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Peadar

« Reply #131 on: October 29, 2020, 09:11:16 AM »

Another interesting tune.

Do you know it's history? What are the Zulu's, or, should I say dè a th 'anns an zulus?

Type of half deck herring drifter introduced 1879. Dominant in the Scottish herring fleet at the turn of the 20th century.

Unfortunately I couldn't get the box to play this one over a range I can sing and as for the basses...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 10:34:44 AM by Peadar »
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

CAB

• Mass Debater
    • Somerset Russets Village Band
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2020, 11:57:37 PM »

A last minute occupational slide: Bill the Weaver's:  https://youtu.be/sj-6S8Bqnsw
Pas de lieu Rhône que nous

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #133 on: October 31, 2020, 11:31:38 AM »

A last minute occupational slide: Bill the Weaver's:  https://youtu.be/sj-6S8Bqnsw

Lovely...well worth waiting for... :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #134 on: November 01, 2020, 09:35:43 AM »

Thanks everyone - great theme this month! On to the next one, which I'll post in a minute. As usual, please stick any late contributions on the end of this thread :-)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #135 on: November 01, 2020, 11:40:50 AM »

First late entry.I coouldn't quite get it right, so warts and all: The Bonnie Pit Laddie

https://soundcloud.com/greg-bradfield-smith/the-bonnie-pit-laddie
Greg Smith

Little Eggy

« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2021, 03:15:45 PM »

Lester pointed out that I played Monk's March in 4/4 not 2/4. 
So here's another bash on my recently acquired GC Saltarelle Nuage.
Played in C with those lovely low basses.

https://youtu.be/eWsjbW3NxVM

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2021, 03:42:55 PM »

Lester pointed out that I played Monk's March in 4/4 not 2/4. 
So here's another bash on my recently acquired GC Saltarelle Nuage.

Nicely played! I think you have your previous unwanted end-waggling sorted. ;)
I'm pleased you have acquired that G/C Nuage (from Theo, I guess?). I was umm-ing and ahh-ing about it myself as it looked a really nice box, but you have saved me some money!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

arty

« Reply #138 on: February 17, 2021, 04:12:34 PM »

I too, thought long and hard about that box from Theo, but decided against, as I would have had to pay import duty on it as it entered Jersey and that made it too pricey. It sounds really nice though!
Now that you have a G/C, you are  going to be able to play in the higher register without calling all the dogs in the neighbourhood. That particular tune would sound great played once through in both registers!
Lovely box, nicely played!
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal