Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying from Germany  (Read 2497 times)

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Buying from Germany
« on: December 02, 2015, 01:10:16 PM »

What have other Melnetters done, where there is an item on German EBay, with the endorsement, won't ship to Great Britain?

John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
Re: Buying from Germany
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 01:12:18 PM »

Sometimes if you contact the seller directly and ask nicely (with the help of Google translate) they will change their minds - that's how I got my lovely Liliput.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 02:01:58 PM »

Same here.

Admin
Moving this to general discussion as its not an item for sale.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 02:32:26 PM »

That tactic has certainly worked for me buying on UK eBay when shipping to Cyprus has not been a listed option; usually a friendly enquiry results in an all-round satisfactory outcome.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Sandy Flett

• Accordion and Melodeon Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 02:35:35 PM »

Sometimes if you contact the seller directly and ask nicely (with the help of Google translate) they will change their minds - that's how I got my lovely Liliput.

I did exactly that the other day and from one seller got a price for delivery to UK and a concession that I could use PayPal, and a second seller conceded to UK delivery (but not PayPal). Interestingly, the postage prices on the box I was looking at ranged from 11-24 euros which is something to take into account when deciding on your maximum bid.
DG Dino Baffetti Carnival II (plus accordions)
Accordion and Melodeon blog

benammiswift

• Regular debater
  • Squeezing for Derbyshire
    • benammiswift.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 07:39:18 PM »

I just asked if the seller would ship to the UK.
He did and gave me a price for the postage afterwards.

I usually bid in euros even through the UK ebay

Benammi
Castagnari Handry 18

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 12:01:36 AM »

Similar experience here John on happily agreeing to ship to UK if asked, although not all sellers (wider items than just melodeons) have agreed to accept Paypal as well (there appear to be variations to 'normal' ebay practice in Germany !) there have been other threads discussing alternative payment methods more economic than bank transfers.

NB I don't entirely trust Google translate and always paste the English text into a message as well as the translation, just in case, embarrasingly all bar one German vendor contacted so far have had excellent command of English - far in advance of my lamentable German  :|bl sods law, the exception was when I was looking for an expensive, oddball, turbo core for the car, pleased to say Google didn't let me down  ;D

Oooops, had meant to say 'steer clear of ebay.de, its a minefield, especially for Preciosa's or Liliputs, bound to loose your shirt'  ;)

Richard
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 12:40:00 AM »

A lot of German sellers won't accept PayPal (which I completely understand - PayPal is iniquitous) and will only accept a bank transfer. I've used a service called Transferwise, which works very well and is a fraction of the cost of doing it via your bank. I'm sure there are other similar services out there too.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 10:11:09 AM »

I did message the seller, and he was willing to ship to UK. The box went for £72.81, but I didn't bid. I just can't buy any more boxes, until I get rid of some :(
Pity though.

John

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 07:04:28 PM »

And what was this box that went for £71?

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 08:00:39 PM »

A Lilliput

John

george garside

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 11:27:16 AM »

I bought a liliput from Germany 12 months ago & paid by paypal . The box is great aand a small box of chocolates was included as a thankyou for buying it!

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Prestidigitator

• Respected Sage
  • Saltarelle, Hohner, Oakwood Baffetti
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 05:34:21 PM »

I've bought several boxes from Germany over the years, without problems. The sellers have always been straight, helpful and polite.

Where they want to be paid by transfer,rather than Paypal, I've used one or two of the reputable independent services, where the cost is minimal.UK banks will trim you out to the tune of at least £10 plus pocketable exchange rate differences.

The other notable thing is that it costs not a lot to have something sent by tracked DHL, which arrives on time. Try sending something from the UK by the same service, and magically it's twice as difficult and four times the cost. I think it's called "Ripoff Britain".

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 06:16:24 PM »

Deliveries from uk to Germany by UPS booked through Interparcel.com are only marginally more expensive than DHL deliveries in the opposite direction.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 11:09:14 PM »

Deliveries from uk to Germany by UPS booked through Interparcel.com are only marginally more expensive than DHL deliveries in the opposite direction.

I've had similar experiences with Parcel Monkey -very reasonable rates not only to mainland Europe but further afield, notably when I sold an A/D Erica to Gary Chapin of this parish and got a very reasonable rate to the States, including insurance. You just need to shop around.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal