Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rusty Reeds.  (Read 3728 times)

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
Re: Rusty Reeds.
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2015, 11:47:00 AM »

Well any piece of woodwork doesn't like to be damp enough to rot, but they don't like to be too dry either.  When central heating was just coming into common usage, my father decided to treat himself and buy a grand piano.  Once installed in the lounge the tuner came (definitely a two cigar job tuning a piano).  He insisted that unless we wanted him to move in to keep track of the tuning we should have humidifiers on the radiators.  He even suggested that the drying would eventually split the soundboard.  I guess he figured that if Dad could afford the piano, he could afford to run the heating flat out - how wrong can you be - but during the coldest months when there was little opportunity to ventilate the house, we hung humidifiers on the rads.

Rob.

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2015, 12:27:44 PM »

I for one used to keep silica gel sachets in my melodeon case when I used to live in damp houses - and play outdoors a lot in all conditions. Can't be certain it helped avoid rusty reeds but for the cost why not. I've always thought that reed quality was also important - so reeds in the pokerwork would rust more quickly than those in my saltarelle - irrespective of storage and playing environment.

I do wonder how Cajun box players deal with the climate of Louisiana. Heat and humidity must surely be a problem - as would the transition to air conditioned housing. Any expert knowledge ? 

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2015, 01:01:07 PM »

Agreed things can get too dry. Some violinists keep humidity sachets in their fiddle cases to deal with the exact opposite of the "rusty reeds" problem.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal