Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: This could be a big mistake...  (Read 14553 times)

911377brian

Re: This could be a big mistake...
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2015, 04:19:53 PM »

That is quite possibly the most helpful instruction illustration I've seen. Thanks Lester...

TomBom

• Respected Sage
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2015, 10:15:22 PM »

I enjoyed so much reading this thread. It got so funny - until I read Nick Collis Beard's post after taking a sip of beer  :|glug ...
Have to find out now how to clean a laptop keyboard. >:E

911377brian

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2015, 10:35:18 PM »

Couldn't face another repeat Lewis tonight but discovered that Wet Wipes designed for babies bums are great for cleaning bellows folds and gussets.....honest...

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2015, 12:43:05 AM »

I've been denied access to see the picture - you said I was on a list Lester, apparently its the list of people who have so far resisted the Google Harvester  for collecting people who sign up to their other list  :o

Tom Bom, If you are serious, I have found compressed air the best for re distributing beer from under laptop keys, a simple bycycle, football or airbed hand or footpump with a narrow delivery nozzle (old ballpoint pen case can be a handy emergency nozzle) should give enough air jet for first level action.

Alternatively a vacuum cleaner can suck air through fast enough to clear most moisture, it may also collect the keys so some sort of mesh like a coarse cloth might be useful as a 'keystrainer'

Beer, soda, fruit juices etc always leave a deposit, keyboards tend to be reasonably resilient to this but TV / Video type remote controls are not - I always remove the batteries and then rinse in clean water with a drop of detergent before drying.

If you can find a Schraeder Valve Connector to attach to an airline, a cheap and reliable source of compressed air can be found in most streets and off street parking structures, the downside is you have to take the work with you but the upside is it is free and eco friendly.
Typically at around 2 bar initial pressure and several litres capacity there are usually four black toroidal rubber containers of compressed air attached to each car and two to motor cycles (Range Rovers and SUV's are always a good bet due to their high capacity) Lorries might seem to be a similarly good source but can be excessive in their initial pressure and blow your hand off. I have always found tracked vehicles like Bulldozers a complete disappointment.

(note only one paragraph of the above is purely humorous, while entirely true and feasible)
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2015, 12:54:29 AM »

Broadland Boy, I'm an avid reader of your posts. But I do worry about you sometimes!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Broadland Boy

« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2015, 01:30:29 AM »

Kind of you but don't worry Edward, Care in the Community suits me a treat and a penny saved is worth a pound in the pocket.

So how many seconds before you Googled or ebay searched for a connector ?  ;)

Adhering to the 'if you never made a mistake you aren't trying hard enough' philosophy can still lead to embarrasing moments but people generally understand and some appreciate the effort, like tonight, we had guests so thought it would be nice to make some mulled wine, well the size came off when it warmed up, spoiling the taste and the mull turned to slimy strings - to learn from this an expert needs consulting - fortunately we have our own here, Nick C-B, who I am confident will soon spot the cause of failure and how to avoid a repeat   ???

Richard, Village Idiot Aspirant, Bogside-on-Bure
Richard A

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2015, 09:59:44 AM »

Oh oh I've just got it! Mulled wine, mull . On a serious note you need to boil it first and THEN add it to the wine, especially if it's a bottle of Blue Monk. Mostly Ethylene Glycol. You could fly Spitfires on bottles of that stuff.  >:E
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

911377brian

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2015, 11:10:32 AM »

Unable to face another repeat of Lewes last night I cleaned the bellows folds and gussets with wet wipes designed for polishing babies bums...worked a treat...

911377brian

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2015, 11:14:32 AM »

You see how besotted I am with my new baby? I've just realised I've repeated my wet wipe post..... :-[

911377brian

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2015, 11:30:41 AM »

Steve-free reeder, having a problem sending you a pm, can you Email me on brianandberti@btinternet.com ref a magnet share out?

TomBom

• Respected Sage
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2015, 08:17:27 PM »

Broadland Boy, thanks for your suggestions. Cleaning with water and drying with air pressure seems a good idea.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2015, 09:39:12 PM »

Red rubber bands as left behind by the postperson... :|glug

But you have to be quick, they have been using inferior rubber bands for some time now and they degrade very rapidly on the pavement - probably a "green" measure to justify the cost saving!

Rob.
Rubber bands disappeared altogether from our pavement when our postie was been 'upgraded' from carrying a mail bag to pushing a bright red PO pram.

Still get them round here, I use them to retain our PA cables in bundles, avoiding the tangle monster.
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Broadland Boy

« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2015, 11:30:00 PM »

Knew you wouldn't let me down Nick TVM  (:)

Brian, had you thought of wiping your bellows down with wet wipes ?

TomBom, just in case you hadn't thought of it, disconnect both power lead and take out battery before watering the laptop and you are not the first and will not be the last to propel a mouthfull of drink into your computer as a result of something on melnet........

Nurse have I had me dinner yet
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 11:34:22 PM by Broadland Boy »
Richard A

911377brian

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2015, 03:19:59 PM »

The magnets recommended by Lester arrived by turn of post and are now fitted. Very satisfying. Richard BB, do you have any Whammo, the wonder boot exploder left, I've got a key stuck in the workshop door.....

Broadland Boy

« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2015, 12:04:19 AM »

Good news on the magnets, you do know about using the S pole of them against the stop rods as we are in the Northern Hemisphere ? Don't want those pesky eddy currents bending the low rank reed frequencies down when you are playing North-South or you'll regret splashing all that cash about instead of just bending them  8)

Sorry, used up the last packet of Whammo in about 1973 Brian, however, plenty of Footo left if you have no issues using non vegitarian products. Having some experience in the broken lock line (I was a techie in a high school and you know what the awkward little sods can be like - some of the kids were nearly as bad !) PM me if you need a hand  or brainstorm, is this the lock your unwanted visitor gained access through ?
Richard A

911377brian

« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2015, 08:52:37 AM »

Wish you had told me about the magnet orientation earlier,Richard. Couldn't understand why she was sitting on her shelf playing quietly to herself. I'll have to sort the magnet problem pronto or we'll never get any sleep. Life can be cruel, the brand new padlock looked great swinging on its brand new hasp....but the bloody key won't come out...and the grinder is locked in behind it......

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2015, 09:14:34 AM »

You need some Snibbo (cleans everything).  ;D
TWOB scroll to time 22':22''
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2015, 09:15:14 AM »

WD40, hot spanner? Club hammer maybe?

J
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2015, 10:15:33 AM »

Wish you had told me about the magnet orientation earlier,Richard. Couldn't understand why she was sitting on her shelf playing quietly to herself.

On her shelf? Thought that with the magnets fitted you would have stuck it up on the fridge door....   >:E
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal