Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lester's Liliput  (Read 13856 times)

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
  • Castagnari Tommy/ Dino Baffetti BP
Re: Lester's Liliput
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2007, 01:58:44 PM »

Hi Steve
Thats quite alright - no "confrontation" taken  8)
We all have our own personal preferences and we are all entitled to them   ;D  as long as we keep playing  ;)
Me , I love my Tommy,
Lin
Lin(Rattlejag Morris)

C age ing

• Respected Sage
  • New fangled melodeon?
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2007, 05:48:56 AM »

G'day Lin

It's true that I haven't heard one in the flesh as it were, but I've heard plenty of samples over the net. It's an aesthetic and philosophical thing really - the fact that all the instruments I play with in sessions are acoustic is important to me. I have quite enough electronics in almost every other part of my life and I really like getting away from them. The absence of batteries and speakers, and - more importantly - the beauty and sheer tangible physical quality of the sound that acoustic instruments produce, are a considerable part of the pleasure I get from making music. The people I play with wouldn't like anyone to join in on electric bass or a Casio keyboard either... 

Hope this helps you understand my attitude, which wasn't intended to be confrontational.
Steve
Steve,
Trust you are playing brass reeds as I can't stand these new-fangled steel ones. Baint be proper Melodeon otherwise. Aahhh. ;D
My Erika is as old as me. Luckily, it is not as decrepit.

mike delta

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 09:00:10 PM »

Hi,
Sorry to interrupt this thread but as this is for Lester it seems appropriate as I'm sure he'll read it.

Lester; just a couple of lines to say thanks for the links to the MP3 melodeon audio you have kindly made available. Very much appreciated.
Mike Delta

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2007, 09:04:26 PM »

Lester; just a couple of lines to say thanks for the links to the MP3 melodeon audio you have kindly made available. Very much appreciated.
Mike Delta
If I can help somebody etc...

Thanks for the thanks

mike delta

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2007, 09:05:25 PM »

Hi again,
Now back on to the thread:
As I'm relatively new to the melodeon I'm not familiar with all the different makes, especially vintage boxes.
Question: How does the Hohner Lilliput compare in physical size to the Castagnari Lilly.
Regards,
Mike Delta.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2007, 09:26:32 PM »

Question: How does the Hohner Lilliput compare in physical size to the Castagnari Lilly.
Regards,
Mike Delta.

Hohner LiliputCastagnari Lillyexcept the Liliput has 4 extra treble buttons and twice as many reeds in the treble. So the Lilly is the same size, same weight, twice the price and half the reeds  :P

But they are different boxes so all the comparisons are a bit dodgy really!

mike delta

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2007, 12:45:43 AM »

Hi All,
Thanks for that reply Lester.
I can see the advantages of having the convenience of a smaller box (Sidmouth 2007 pressed shoulder to shoulder in one particular popular session with hardly room to breath, never mind play). Does the Liliput project its sound well. Euphemism for "loud" possibly! Especially in the company of other box players.

I've heard the Lily and the sound projected very well but that may have been because it "sounded" different to the assortment of Pokerworks et cetera.

As an aside I have an old Pokerwork and I love it. It has been fettled I believe in the past by Theo according to its previous owner so I imagine it has been set up to give its best. Does the Liliput sound similar to the Pokerwork?
Regards,
Mike Delta.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2007, 10:25:43 AM »

Hi All,
Thanks for that reply Lester.
I can see the advantages of having the convenience of a smaller box (Sidmouth 2007 pressed shoulder to shoulder in one particular popular session with hardly room to breath, never mind play). Does the Liliput project its sound well. I think it does Euphemism for "loud" possibly! Especially in the company of other box players.

I've heard the Lily and the sound projected very well but that may have been because it "sounded" different This is undoubtedly true, you can hear a Lilly because it is single voice rather than excessively loud to the assortment of Pokerworks et cetera.

As an aside I have an old Pokerwork and I love it. It has been fettled I believe in the past by Theo according to its previous owner so I imagine it has been set up to give its best. Does the Liliput sound similar to the Pokerwork Yes?
Regards,
Mike Delta.

oldclubII

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2007, 02:06:58 PM »

All the really good fiddle players I know love to play in Bflat.  If a C/F box is nicer than D/G  then Bflat/Eflat is even better.  The guitar player in my band keeps encouraging me to get a Bflat box.
Hey, just found an old Hohner Club II in Bb/Eb in very good condition for its age.

It's funny, I also play some trumpet and I am used to transpose partitions all the time for Bb tuning. Now this thing comes up,  except this time, other musicians would have to adjust to the tuning...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal