Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Scandinavian Squeeze-In 22-24/4-2016  (Read 7664 times)

Hasse

• Respected Sage
Scandinavian Squeeze-In 22-24/4-2016
« on: December 20, 2015, 07:34:33 AM »

Come and join the SSI 2016 -- Seventeenth Annual Scandinavian Squeeze-In -- April 22-24, 2016. It’s the annual gathering of squeezebox (concertina, melodeon, etc.) players. Squeezebox players from near and far will gather with our instruments in Skåne (southern Sweden) for another weekend of making music, sharing knowledge and skills, and general enjoyment.

The price is only: 650 Swedish kronor.

For more details: http://www.nonce.dk/SSI/
If you want to join see contact info on website or mail Jim Lucas: ssi@nonce.dk

We expect to see some new faces, as well as old friends, and the more is definitely the merrier.

Edit: adding price information
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 09:35:32 AM by Hasse »
Sweden, Skåne

Hasse

• Respected Sage
Re: Scandinavian Squeeze-In 22-24/4-2016
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 09:31:37 AM »

Information about getting there, its real easy!!!   (:)

The SSI 2016 takes place in Torna Hällestad in Skåne.

The easiest way to get there is going via Copenhagen airport or Copenhagen central station, taking the train over Öresundsbron to Lund central station, (ca 45 min by train).

Or going via Malmö airport (Sturup) taking the airport bus to Lund central station.

From Lund central station you can continue by bus to or it might be possible to arrange a pick up by car to our first gathering location. More information about this when getting closer to the SSI weekend. Also look at the SSI website for more information: http://www.nonce.dk/SSI/
Sweden, Skåne

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 07:16:49 PM »

From Jim Lucas email last week

Kastrup (Copenhagen) airport is pretty efficient.  You could conceivably be on a train well before 3 pm, even with a checked bag. The Skånetrafiken travel planner shows direct trains (no changes) from Kastrup to Lund at least once every 20 minutes on that date, with travel times between 30 and 40 minutes.  And buses from Lund train station to Dalby (where we gather before driving out to nearby Torna-Hällestad) look to be two every 15 minutes, with a  23-minute travel time.

While we could probably fetch you in Lund, the bus-train combination probably makes most sense.  Not only is it easy, but a ticket from Kastrup through to Dalby is the same price as a ticket only as far as Lund.  (The rail and bus services cooperate.)

Seems one should get a ticket all the way to Dalby (same price) and transfer at Lund to Sweden's wonderful integrated bus service. Though if plan A changes  to B - they have until 2pm or so on the day to alter that. All wonderfully easy?  Easyjet from Manchester are also cheap, and more melodeon friendly than … one airlinesthat I could, but won't mention so that they don't sue me in the (not) Irish courts.

Anyone ese going ?  :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

Frank Lee

• Regular debater
    • Rapper Swords
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 12:11:34 AM »

Thinking about it Chris.  I really like the concept of an 'ideas sharing' weekend as opposed to a formal schoolroom situation such as is usually offered here in the UK;  I imagine it represents more efficient use of time - drawing on the experiences and repertoire of the assembled company.
I have some boxes. 
‘You make that thing sound a bit like a musical instrument!’

Hasse

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 07:51:02 PM »

Thanks Chris for helping me out on that one!  (:)

Hopefully we will soon finally see Jim Lucas as a mel.net member so he can help out with questions about the SSI from melnetters. As I'm very slow on responding here on threads and PMs from time to time - SORRY about that!!!

I hope to also see you there Frank   :||:

Merry Christmas to everyone!!!

Sweden, Skåne

Jim Lucas

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 05:25:35 PM »

Hello everyone, and God Jul (Merry Christmas)!

Thanks to Theo, I have managed to register here.  My immediate purpose in becoming a member is so that I can personally answer questions about the Scandinavian Squeeze-In (SSI), of which I'm the principal organizer.

FWIW, barring unforseen obstacles, future SSIs are scheduled for the last full weekend of April each year.  (Not sure what we'll do when that conflicts with Easter, but that won't happen until 2038.)

First, I'll to try to answer a couple of questions that were raised in the thread for last year's SSI, but feel free to ask whatever you wish.

Jim Lucas

Jim Lucas

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 06:13:33 PM »

Am excited as I last tried Swedish stuff at Scandifest here and … it was all fiddle led and in G minor - not my best day :Ph

Well, I'm afraid that you shouldn't expect lots of Swedish music that weekend. I was probably the only one playing Swedish and Danish music that weekend, mostly its English or Irish music. But this year it might just be different, I'll try and get more people playing Swedish music this year. I can't promise anything though - because I haven't succeed in this the previous years - but I'm optimistic!  8)

I really like the concept of an 'ideas sharing' weekend as opposed to a formal schoolroom situation such as is usually offered here in the UK;  I imagine it represents more efficient use of time - drawing on the experiences and repertoire of the assembled company.

And Frank's note is, I hope, the answer to Chris' wish and Hasse's concern.  If there's enough interest, we can get a workshop and even some jamming going.  And this year I'm confident there will be.  I know I'll want to participate.  And I can think of at least a couple of others who will, though the bookings have only begun to come in.  Besides, there's no minimum number of people required to form a workshop or session.  (The biggest problem for some of us is that we want to join in more workshops and jams than we can fit into the time available.)

Workshops don't even have to be about music or instruments, as long as there's interest.  One year (or was it twice?), by popular demand we had lessons in how to dance the polska.  (For any who don't know, that's Sweden's national folk dance.)

Jim Lucas

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 07:40:24 PM »

In SSI 2015 thread there was some discussion regarding the SSI web site.  I'll try to get to that in more detail, later.  (Maybe I could even get some of you to help me improve things there?)  But for now:

You can reach the SSI pages through this URL:
http://www.nonce.dk/SSI/
but not by trying to search through the domain nonce.dk.  That domain does not have a personality of its own, but is host to a number of other, potentially independent "sites".  Each of those has its own means of entry, but they should not be associated with each other via that domain name, hence no drill down from nonce.dk.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 07:53:13 PM »

but not by trying to search through the domain nonce.dk.  That domain does not have a personality of its own, but is host to a number of other, potentially independent "sites".  Each of those has its own means of entry, but they should not be associated with each other via that domain name, hence no drill down from nonce.dk.
Hi Jim

As a complete aside what is the relevance of 'nonce' in, I assume, Danish? It is just that it has unfortunate meaning in English.

Jim Lucas

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 11:54:27 PM »

As a complete aside what is the relevance of 'nonce' in, I assume, Danish? It is just that it has unfortunate meaning in English.

Not Danish at all.  Definitely English.  Going back at least to Shakespeare and supposedly -- with different spelling -- to Chaucer.  It essentialy means "the current moment", as in the expression "for the nonce", which I've known since I was a kid.  The expression "nonce error" is also a standard term in computer programming, meaning "at the moment what you wrote has no valid meaning, but we expect it might in the future, with unpredictable consequences."

I've become aware of the "unfortunate" meaning.  But that meaning is only recent -- one source says it first appeared in 1978 -- and at first was in use in only a very small area (one person said "only in East London").  It has apparently found wider usage, or at least wider awareness, in the UK over the years, but it's still practically unknown in the US and -- as far as I know -- in the rest of the world, where "for the nonce" is still an expression in current usage.

Meanwhile, I had been using that name for business purposes for years before I heard of the newer meaning, and I don't feel that I should be expected to stop using it, no more than one would expect someone named Peter or Dick to change their name.  So I will continue to use it... at least for the nonce.

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2015, 01:48:10 AM »

I last tried Swedish stuff at Scandifest here and … it was all fiddle led and in G minor

This one should work (albeit not all that easy on the melodeon).  The "official" key is G minor, I think, but it's also played in A minor and E minor.  (I prefer B minor).

Code: [Select]
X:1
T:Sl\"angpolska efter Juringius
C:Magnus Juringius, 18th century Sweden
Q:1/4=100
M:3/4
L:1/8
K:EMin
z   |"Em" B>B EB```EB |"Am"~c>B           ABcd|\
     "D " A>A DA```DA |
                       "G"  B>A           GABc|\
     "Em" B>B AG"D"F>E|    (D/E/)F/D/ "Em"E3 :|
D/E/|"Bm"~F>F B,F``B,F|"Em"~G>F           EFGA|\
     "Bm"~F>F B,F``B,F|"Em"~G>F           EFGA|
     "D " A>A DA```DA |"G"  B>A           GABc|\
     "Em" B>B AG"D"F>E|    (D/E/)F/D/ "Em"E3 :|
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Jim Lucas

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2015, 12:09:54 PM »

I last tried Swedish stuff at Scandifest here and … it was all fiddle led and in G minor

This one should work (albeit not all that easy on the melodeon).  The "official" key is G minor, I think, but it's also played in A minor and E minor.  (I prefer B minor).

A fine tune, and a popular one in Sweden.  One of thousands.   (:)  One significant resource is Svenska Låtar (Swedish Tunes), a 24-volume compilation of tunes from the various different regions of Sweden, the final volume of which was first published in 1940.  I'm lucky enough to have 21 of the 24 volumes in a later paperback edition.  (The other three were out of print when I bought mine.)

For more about Swedish tunes (and a bit of other Scandinavian), I recommend this thread on concertina.net.

Hasse

• Respected Sage
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2015, 09:42:33 AM »

[....]

A fine tune, and a popular one in Sweden.  One of thousands.   (:)  One significant resource is Svenska Låtar (Swedish Tunes), a 24-volume compilation of tunes from the various different regions of Sweden, the final volume of which was first published in 1940.  I'm lucky enough to have 21 of the 24 volumes in a later paperback edition.  (The other three were out of print when I bought mine.)

For more about Swedish tunes (and a bit of other Scandinavian), I recommend this thread on concertina.net.

Not being quite sure what you are saying with this post I just wanted to raise your attention to:

There are in fact lots of interest and talking about Scandinavian music (Swedish especially) on melodeon.net. So people round here are used to discussing different aspects of Scandinavian music.Try and do a search and you will find several threads discussing aspects of Scandinavian music, of course often from non-scandinavian perspectives on the music. But thats indeed very interesting, refreshing aspects and friendly discussions to have access to. In my own humble opinion!

I do normally never really feel the need to be active in these discussions or come with recommendations on tune choices or techniques, because as long as you are not playing for dancers pretty much anythings goes (in my opinion!). Just try and put some of melodeon.net questions out among Swedish folk musicians and you will end up with a lot of different ”right” answers, about things like: technique, choice of tunes and lately lots about rhythm and speed…

And I don't want to start discussions about "Svenska Låtar" which are nice to have access to, but it really often only contains a fragment of the importance in a tunes…  ::) >:E

Also important to keep in mind is of course the difference between concertina (english and anglo) and the different types of ”melodeon” which makes choices of tunes and technique quite different from that of an English or anglo concertina. So on melodeon.net you will find a whole different world of great ideas and angels to playing outside the box.

So at least for an AC/melodeon player the melodeon.net is a great resource in that respect, with lots of laid back, friendly and helpful inquiring from nice people with squeeze-box-brains. :|bl :|||: :|glug

Edit: Adding the first sentenses, so not to have a wrong tone to it. Hope i suceeded!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 10:00:44 AM by Hasse »
Sweden, Skåne

Jim Lucas

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2015, 10:34:33 AM »

[....]

Not being quite sure what you are saying with this post I just wanted to raise your attention to:

There are in fact lots of interest and talking about Scandinavian music (Swedish especially) on melodeon.net.

Absolutely right, Hasse.  I was responding to others in this thread, but I was going to recommend that such discussion be continued in a thread on Scandinavian music (I had seen that there already was at least one), since it's a digression here.  You beat me to it.

The SSI is neither all about Swedish music nor does it avoid Swedish music.  The participants decide what they want to focus on, and it certainly appears that in 2016 Scandinavian traditional music will be one of the subjects getting attention.

Jim Lucas

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2015, 02:58:29 PM »

I was responding to others in this thread, but I was going to recommend that such discussion be continued in a thread on Scandinavian music ... since it's a digression here.

Done.  I've started a continuation of this discussion of Scandinavian music as a continuation of this thread (titled "Swedish, Finnish,Scandinavian tunes"), starting with this post.

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2015, 04:20:22 PM »

From Jim Lucas email last week

Kastrup (Copenhagen) airport is pretty efficient.  You could conceivably be on a train well before 3 pm, even with a checked bag. The Skånetrafiken travel planner shows direct trains (no changes) from Kastrup to Lund at least once every 20 minutes on that date, with travel times between 30 and 40 minutes.  And buses from Lund train station to Dalby (where we gather before driving out to nearby Torna-Hällestad) look to be two every 15 minutes, with a  23-minute travel time.

While we could probably fetch you in Lund, the bus-train combination probably makes most sense.  Not only is it easy, but a ticket from Kastrup through to Dalby is the same price as a ticket only as far as Lund.  (The rail and bus services cooperate.)

Seems one should get a ticket all the way to Dalby (same price) and transfer at Lund to Sweden's wonderful integrated bus service. Though if plan A changes  to B - they have until 2pm or so on the day to alter that. All wonderfully easy?  Easyjet from Manchester are also cheap, and more melodeon friendly than … one airlinesthat I could, but won't mention so that they don't sue me in the (not) Irish  courts.

Anyone ese going ?  :|glug

After much faffing around, I'm in, Chris. Flights now booked from Manchester. No going back now...!  :||: :|glug
Mike

Jim Lucas

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2016, 10:14:14 PM »

Since the SSI is in southern Sweden and the most appropriate airport is Copenhagen's Kastrup, a question has been raised about the current ID checks when crossing the Denmark-Sweden border.  Since that may be of more general concern, not just for those considering/planning to come the the SSI, I've started a separate thread to deal with that question.  You can find it here.

Jim Lucas

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 05:32:39 PM »

So Chris and Mike are coming... and Hasse and others from this side of the pond.  Anyone else?

The booking deadline is tomorrow (April 15), though if I get one on Monday we can probably accept it.

I've had some serious problems with email (hotmail and others suddenly saying they wouldn't forward messages from dynamic IP addresses, which I think includes half of the European broadband networks), though that now seems fixed.  But if you sent me an email and I haven't replied, please send it again, right away... or even let me know here.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 10:13:26 AM »

Thanks for that heads up on timing. I fly tomorrow morning …. a 24 hour add in to look round Copenhagen is too good an opportunity to miss! I was thinking towards then  offering to meet Mike at the airport station on Friday, but from the above that looks to be an eggregious risk. May even hop to Lund that afternoon and put any train issues behind me.

Suspect we'll be on the same plane back though ;) ?
  _       _    _      _ 

Lars

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 06:09:42 PM »

The passport control on the train from Copenhagen to Malmø only added 30 minutes the last couple of times I took the ride, so I would not consider it a major issue, unless you are a renegade mobster on the run, travelling with false documents.

Just keep in mind, that friday is a bank holiday in Denmark, meaning that you may want to check opening hours if you have major plans friday, and pushing some of them over to thursday evening.

- but if you're still in Copenhagen by friday afternoon, pop your head into Kennedy's Bar (Gammel Kongevej) for the friday session (17:00-21:30), and say hello:)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal