Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cantulia (German) melodeons  (Read 7105 times)

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
Cantulia (German) melodeons
« on: January 15, 2011, 08:03:13 PM »

Several weeks ago on Ebay, there was an auction for a two-row diatonic accordion by the name of Cantulia. It was a very attractive instrument, but I was not familiar with the name. A Google search turned up the following information from http://www.accordionlinks.com

"Cantulia accordions and bandoneons were manufactured by the company Kahnt & Uhlmann, situated at Altenburg/Thüringen, Germany, starting 1880. On 2nd January 1937 the Cantulia KG moved to Siegburg (26 km from Cologne and 10 km from Bonn) and rented a hall, nowadays property of the Siegwerk AG, from the cigarette manufacturer Haus Neuerburg. In the 50s Cantulia/Siegburg competed with Hohner, and Hohner finally bought the company to kill the competition - they manufactured a few more Cantulias before closing the factory forever on December 31, 1957. The spelling Kantulia also occurs."

Apparently they were a Hohner competitor until the mid 1950s, before capitulating to the giant. I don't see them for sale very often in the United States, not nearly as often as the ubiquitous Hohner models, so maybe there were fewer American contracts.

Does anyone play a Cantulia or have experience with Cantulia accordions? How do they compare to similar products from Hohner?

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
Re: Cantulia (German) melodeons
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 02:09:25 AM »

Here is a link to the nice Cantulia club instrument that was on Ebay. Anyone with information regarding its whereabouts is advised to contact the melodeon.net community with all deliberate speed  ;D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=190482142833

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 10:13:30 PM »

Hi chris, i have just bought a cantulia club off ebay... shall i post a few pi s when it arrives ?

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 05:27:39 PM »

I had a fancy for that one too! But it ended up too expensive for me, even though it was on my doorstep, so to speak. I hope you have a great time with it.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 01:07:55 AM »

Hi chris, i have just bought a cantulia club off ebay... shall i post a few pi s when it arrives ?

I've been busy lately (last three years, really) and picked up this thread late.  8)

Yes, some photos would be great! How do you like your accordion? I am still curious about them. Through an online German music board, I was able to get in touch via email with an elderly fellow who was employed by Cantulia in its heyday. My written German is very basic and he had no English, but assured me any instrument leaving his factory should be very nice if its owners were kind to it. He added that the factory was a tightly knit workforce, employed many families, and was thought of highly by the employees. They took pride in their work and were heartbroken when the plant closed.

Cheers and warm salutations this Christmas.

:||: :||: :||:
Chris

triskel

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 07:41:36 PM »

I remember, when somebody (maybe Tommy?) enquired about one that was for sale, spending a good few hours researching Cantulia several months ago and posting the results on melnet, but I guess it must have been in the Buy and Sell forum and the thread has been deleted under the new regime there... :(

I won't be bothering to do that again!   ::)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 11:24:26 PM »

I remember, when somebody (maybe Tommy?) enquired about one that was for sale, spending a good few hours researching Cantulia several months ago and posting the results on melnet, but I guess it must have been in the Buy and Sell forum and the thread has been deleted under the new regime there... :(

I won't be bothering to do that again!   ::)

The way to do it would be to create a thread here in this section ('Instrument Makes and Models') and provide a link to the relevant thread in 'Buy and Sell'. That way, your research (much appreciated BTW) would not be lost as and when the Buy and Sell section is periodically tidied up.   
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

triskel

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 12:44:59 AM »

The way to do it would be to create a thread here in this section ('Instrument Makes and Models') and provide a link to the relevant thread in 'Buy and Sell'. That way, your research (much appreciated BTW) would not be lost as and when the Buy and Sell section is periodically tidied up.

That's what I was thinking Steve, but there was no tidying up of the Buy and Sell section policy at the time...  :-\

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 07:29:14 AM »

Or just add a note or send me a pm if you think a 'buy and sell" topic is worth keeping. Then I can move it into an appropriate category where it can live on. I have already done that with many older topics from "buy and sell"
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 09:11:19 AM »

Ah..the joys of 'content management'... A veritable minefield...

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 07:16:53 PM »

I just rebuilt a little Piano 40 bass Cantulia for the shop. It seemed compact and well made ,the biggest problem being rust on the reeds that meant it had to be cleaned and retuned. Stayed on the shelf for about a week before it sold.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal