Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bellows repair advice  (Read 4654 times)

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
Bellows repair advice
« on: January 18, 2016, 12:23:27 PM »

I'm not sure if these Liliput bellows are finished or not. I'm re-taping the bellows.
A couple of the leather gussets need replacing (nibbled by a mouse by the looks of it). The leather gusset is stuck to the card, on the outside, and then the bellows paper (it looks like paper) is glued over that, followed by the corner and then the bellows tape.
What is best practice if I need to replace/restore some of the paper?
My proposed plan would be to remove as much paper as I can for the two or three folds in question, repair the gusset, then glue back replacement paper just in those folds (the join will be hidden by the bellows tape), then the corner, then tape.  Or is it customary to cover the existing paper with new, or to cover the whole side of the bellows?
My plan B is to replace the bellows with new ones.
Pictures of the bellows corners can be found here:

https://goo.gl/photos/RtLpt9vEoH11bkKy9

(and can someone tell me if they can see any other of my pix - I'm not that sure about how to manage the Google Photo permissions).

« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 12:29:22 PM by RogerThomas »

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Bellows repair advice
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 12:30:12 PM »

Or plan C could be to attach the replacement gusset by glueing it to the inside of the old gusset. I have used this method successfully in the past. Guess it depends on how much of the old gusset is still in place and its condition.

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 12:42:05 PM »

Roger, the photos show up fine for me, without having a Google account.

The hardest part of repairing gussets the "original" way is finding just the right shade/colour/patination of paper. If you have to settle for a close, but not excellent match, then it just depends whether or not you or a prospective purchaser are concerned about cosmetic appearance.
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Rog

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 01:07:40 PM »

Hi, yes, I figured that would be the problem. Re Lester's plan C, I'm wondering how tidy I can make it look...

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 01:08:16 PM »

Agree with Malcolm's point.   
The metal corners on Lilliput bellows are very fine and I've always struggled to get the edge of the rebuilt paper/card/gusset to be thin enough to fit neatly back into the metal corner.  I always go for minimal disturbance of the existing material and do the same as Lester and patch the gusset from inside.  I leave the existing gusset in place and use a very thin patch of leather with skived  edges. 

This kind of defect is getting well towards the point where you have to start thinking about a complete new set of bellows, especially is the card is getting soft near the corners.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Rog

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 03:07:38 PM »

Thanks all. Yes, I'm thinking perhaps some new bellows.

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 03:24:22 PM »

Just successfully repaired a hole in one using the same method, glued a piece cut off a new gusset on the inside using Bookbinder`s PVA which stays flexible (thanks for the recommendation Theo, great stuff !) .. I got the gusset from Charlie Marshall, 40P !! .
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

invadm

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 03:58:24 PM »

if you are restoring the whole thing for yourself and spending time and money ,would it not be the best to get e new bellows ?
 I’m sure you’ll have many more leakage from the old gussets as you play in the near future..I’ve had the same problem with one of my mini boxes..started patching up a few  gussets but could not stop leakage(you close two today and after a week play  1 or 2 more pops up  from nowhere  >:() ..ended up getting a new bellow ...save your time & get a new one   

Rog

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 04:16:20 PM »

Yes, unless I find I can't let it go (it's a Eb/Bb Liliput) I'll be putting it up for sale, and it'll be more attractive with new bellows. Such a nice little box.... I think it deserves the best (:)

tom f

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 05:53:38 PM »

Just a note of caution on replacement bellows.  The Liliput bellows are made of quite thin card.  The replacement set I got were of thicker card.  As a result I had to change the bellows straps and the Liliput wouldn't fit back in its original case!

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 05:58:41 PM »

A good thing to note for Preciosa owners after new bellows then as that box uses an internal locking mech which may not reach
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 06:15:02 PM »

It''s not just the card that may be thicker.  Italian edging tape is much thicker (and harder wearing) than Typical Hohner tape. So with 36 thicknesses on an 18 fold bellows just a 0.5mm extra thickness of tape means the bellows grow by 3/4".  Mind you most times when bellows are shot the straps are in a poor state too.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Rog

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 09:13:24 PM »

(:) yes, it seems I'm on a journey with this. I've re-taped Liliput bellows before and had to trim the tape thickness. The bellows straps are shot anyway and I have some grey leather to fashion some new straps. I'm probably going to try Igor's bellows. I need some bellows for two PAs as well, so I may place a bulk order....

invadm

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 11:29:37 PM »

I have an extra Hohner PA bellow  (:) email me for photos if any good to you ..black Italian type with orange backing,wooden frame not attached. 31.5 cm x 18 cm bellow it self and 16 folds in total   
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 02:19:50 PM by invadm »

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 07:25:36 AM »

I have a incredibly thin piece of Kangaroo skin that I use to patch holes (not tears) in corner gussets, I kind of do it like a tire patch using pva and a patch a few MM larger than the hole. You might be able to get "goldbeaters skin" to do the larger inside patch without adding any meaningful thickness to the bellows. https://www.preservationequipment.com/Store/Products/Conservation-Materials/Other-Materials/Goldbeaters-Skin
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

Rog

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 07:23:44 AM »

I have an extra Hohner PA bellow  (:) email me for photos if any good to you ..black Italian type with orange backing,wooden frame not attached. 31.5 cm x 18 cm bellow it self and 16 folds in total

Hi. Thanks for your offer. Unfortunately not the right size for Hohner Contessa.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal