Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DERBYSHIRE Playgroup  (Read 30868 times)

MatlockBather

• Regular debater
  • B/C and proud
Re: DERBYSHIRE Playgroup
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2016, 10:44:38 PM »

Right then, here is the time table for the day. You can arrive from 9, grab a coffee from the bar and we will make a start at 9.30. Lunch can be ordered from the pub as can dinner in the evening. The pub has asked that people only eat and drink stuff on site they have purchased from themselves which seems very reasonable to me! The afternoon will have part 2 of the workshops and opportunities to play your party pieces. We will end around 5.30 but after dinner we will have a 'slow and steady' low pressure session.

Ollie's workshop is based around the tune 'Old Tom of Oxford'. I am awaiting dots from him but there is no need to learn the tune (it saves having to unlearn it as the workshop unfolds) however it might be a good idea to be familiar with it and maybe be able to hum it. Here is a nice clear version played here by Ladydetemps of this parish. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik7SFDkmL6Q and then by then end of the day you should be (a bit) closer to this  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV59q--prjQ

Nothing to prepare for Mels workshop.

It might be useful if you can bring a music stand and a pen as well.
As always, please drop me a line if you are planning on coming but there is no official booking etc.

See you soon,
Si

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2016, 11:05:53 PM »

Can't believe I missed Sheffield. My son said "aren't you supposed to be somewhere today" at lunchtime. Hoping to get to Witney still and Derbyshire might be manageable. I have gleaned the date and start time but with the shortness of preparation time  can I ask if the sessions are something I'd cope with given my usual C-G style and lack of familiarIty with D-G and push pull playing?
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

MatlockBather

• Regular debater
  • B/C and proud
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2016, 09:20:18 AM »

Well, I play BC and have always come away from this sort of thing having learnt something.
Ollie's workshop is going to focus on playing on the outside row, cross rowing and selecting the correct basses for a tune in D but I guess the techniques will be transferable to a GC if you are happy for the tune to be transposed into G(?).
Mels workshop is aimed at beginners and as such she often uses button numbers as well as 'notes' so again as long as you are happy for your tune to be transposed then this should be fine too.
I think both workshops will touch on getting 'English ooomph' through push/pull techniques (Mels workshops often get quite animated at this point!).
Of course, you could always try and borrow a DG and get lost in the flock!!
Playgroup however is about so much more than the workshops. It is a great opportunity to meet and chat with people of a similar level, share experiences and tips and hopefully play some tunes in a low pressure environment.
Pete from Acorn will also be there with his stall of temptations...

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 05:11:26 PM »

We are definitely coming. Not sure we'll be able to stick around Sunday even if there are things happening as the cat has just been diagnosed with diabetes and so we can't leave him too long without his insulin injections... in the long run we will find a cattery or friend who can do it but we're getting the dosages etc. sorted out now. Mr Spouse and self are both NHS so giving people injections doesn't bother us at all, but it seems a lot of people aren't all that comfortable with it... so we'll be heading off home early Sunday. But raring to go for Saturday though!!
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

MatlockBather

• Regular debater
  • B/C and proud
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2016, 08:50:19 PM »

Yay!!!
See you in a week.

MatlockBather

• Regular debater
  • B/C and proud
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2016, 10:33:24 AM »

Here is the timetable for the day...

Derbyshire Playgroup.
Miners Standard, Winster.
15th Oct 2016.
9.30 – 10.00: Welcome, introduction, admin.
10.00 - 10.15 Order lunch
10.15– 12.00: Workshop session 1
      Mel with Beginners
      Ollie with Better Beginners (Old Tom of Oxford in D)
12.00 – 1.30: Lunch/social time
1.30 – 2.00: Regroup and Party Pieces
2.00 – 4.00: Workshop 2
4.00 – 4.45: Melodeon autopsy / social time
4.45 – 5.15: Final chance for your party piece.
5.15 – 5.30: Close, goodbyes and thanks.
7.00 - …: Session.

MatlockBather

• Regular debater
  • B/C and proud
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2016, 09:48:27 PM »

Message from Ollie, "By "be familiar", I just want people to recognise the tune and know how it goes in their head. Don't worry if you can't play it all the way through, definitely don't worry about not being able to the play the basses - that's what the workshop is for!"

And from Mel, "Still nothing to prepare for my workshop, although please familiarise yourselves with this tune. Get listening folks! My afternoon workshop *may* contain a little bit of learning by ear depending on how the morning one goes. I'm trying to be over prepared rather than under prepared!
So pop your headphones in and enjoy getting to know this tune!"

https://youtu.be/K7xY7iHTbxc

See you all on Saturday.

Si

Netta

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2016, 10:10:52 AM »

Only just found out about the playgroup in Derbyshire.  Sounds fantastic and with Mel and Ollie it will be brilliant for all comers.
Would be very interested in a repeat if at all possible as I cannot make this one  Grrrr! Grrrr! 

MelonBox

• Respected Sage
    • Mel Biggs Music | Melodeon Teacher
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2016, 10:18:27 AM »

Still nothing to prepare for my workshop, although please familiarise yourselves with this tune. Get listening folks! My afternoon workshop *may* contain a little bit of learning by ear depending on how the morning one goes. I'm trying to be over prepared rather than under prepared!
So pop your headphones in and enjoy getting to know this tune!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7xY7iHTbxc

Looking forward to meeting everyone on Saturday!
Mel  :|||: :||:
Castagnari Trilly DG and GC, Castagnari Tommy DG all by Acorn Instruments,
Hohner Picoletta Bb/Eb and Hohner Student 1 C/F conversion set up by Mike Rowbotham.

Pick Up & Play with Mel Biggs - Online beginners course: https://melbiggsmusic.co.uk/puap

Mel Biggs Musician | Melodeon Teacher
www.melbiggsmusic.co.uk

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2016, 08:58:53 PM »

Hi
I am actually on site from late afternoon Friday and will be pitched in the car park,if anyone wants to try any of the Melodeons please knock on camper door or I will be in the pub.
You can still come along even if not taking part in the event

You can sit in the camper try some boxes and have a chat and cupper.

I am staying over till Sunday

Pete

Acorn Instruments
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 09:23:47 PM by pete /acorn »
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2016, 12:32:05 PM »

As usual, I've got to looking at what tune I'm supposed to know the morning before it starts. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

MatlockBather

• Regular debater
  • B/C and proud
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2016, 02:23:11 PM »

You only need to be able to hum your way through the tune which is why no dots have been produced - you could do that in the car on the way up!

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2016, 04:54:11 PM »

We usually listen to pirate metal on the way to folkie things. Alestorm and Red Rum and the like.

I'm bringing my badge press. Ollie needs his teacher badge. And you need a prefect badge. Hopefully you don't have a whole load of punters as my printer is kaput so I can't print any more out.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

MatlockBather

• Regular debater
  • B/C and proud
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2016, 06:40:49 PM »

Pirate Metal...

Well, that's my Youtube viewing sorted tonight!

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

MatlockBather

• Regular debater
  • B/C and proud
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2016, 10:22:39 PM »

Right, so if Adam Ant and the Wurzels' had kids who lived by the sea, that would be the makings for a Pirate Metal band! 😁

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2016, 10:25:27 PM »

I like to think of it as the British equivalent of all those Scandinavian metal bands that do all that Norse mythological stuff a la Dethklok.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

Lyra

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2016, 03:31:46 AM »

Not going to happen due to bandwidth (ironic snurk) and other issues but it would be cool if all Mel's skypelets could have a playgroup one day.
Ah well ...

911377brian

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2016, 12:53:05 PM »

Thanks for that Strig, I am now a Pirate Metal fan...really...

Molly

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2016, 01:14:47 PM »

Thanks for the brilliant inspiration yesterday, even though I only managed to make the afternoon. Reconnected with my determination to learn the beautiful box.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal