Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DERBYSHIRE Playgroup  (Read 30874 times)

MatlockBather

• Regular debater
  • B/C and proud
Re: DERBYSHIRE Playgroup
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2018, 12:46:05 PM »

I spoke with the new owners of the Miners Standard and they are more than happy for us to take over the dinning room on Saturday evening for a session(tables reserved for a group dinner too). We are also welcome on the Friday evening should there be any early arrivals.
Lunches will be available on Saturday and we can order in advance on the day. The chef has stayed with the pub and the menu is just about the same so expect decent pub grub and reasonable prices.

As always, please get in touch if you want to come along or have any questions.

Si

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2018, 12:49:16 PM »

Excellent news, Simon! (:)
It was a great session last year, as was the whole weekend (apart from poor Mel's car :'().
Looking forward to it!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

NickF

• Regular debater
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2018, 08:55:09 AM »

I also have a spare D/G I can bring along if required...
Serenellini 233, Streb, D/G Pokerwork, D/G Liliput, Bb/Eb Liliput, Bb/Eb Comedy Wardrobe (Hohner Model X), Bb/Eb Accidental Erika

If you can smile when things are going wrong, you must have someone else in mind to blame

denqua

« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2018, 05:32:16 PM »

Hi!  Is the camping still available please?
Denise.
Hohner one row 3 stop C  Dino Baffetti DG Bling Box. Dino Baffetti Oakwood  Binci.

MatlockBather

• Regular debater
  • B/C and proud
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2018, 09:10:17 PM »

Yep, camp site is open but please give the pub a bell to book. Will be good to see you again.
Thanks to those that have offered to bring spare boxes.
Si

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2018, 11:03:37 AM »

I will have 3 or 4 boxes available to loan if anyone fancies coming along and having a go

Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

MelonBox

• Respected Sage
    • Mel Biggs Music | Melodeon Teacher
« Reply #86 on: September 04, 2018, 12:55:08 PM »

Hello! It's not too long to go now until the 3rd Derbyshire Melodeon Playgroup. I have taken over the reins of organisations temporarily whilst Simon relocates himself and his family.

I was looking down the list and notice there are no absolute beginners signed up! We have the very talented and patient Vicky Cooper with us to lead the AB sessions - so don't be shy! Come and meet other fellow beginners and have a go at learning something new and getting those muddles sorted out.

There are also plenty of spaces in my beginners and Steve Dumpleton's improvers groups.

And don't forget you can make a weekend out of it by attending my mixed ability workshop Thinking Outside The Box on Sunday 21st October (hopefully this year without any car fires!!). There are only 5 places remaining so get your place saved soon! More info: https://bit.ly/2Q1BKN4

If you would like to attend either event, or would like more information send me an email (as I don't check here very often!): workshops@melbiggsmusic.co.uk
Castagnari Trilly DG and GC, Castagnari Tommy DG all by Acorn Instruments,
Hohner Picoletta Bb/Eb and Hohner Student 1 C/F conversion set up by Mike Rowbotham.

Pick Up & Play with Mel Biggs - Online beginners course: https://melbiggsmusic.co.uk/puap

Mel Biggs Musician | Melodeon Teacher
www.melbiggsmusic.co.uk

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2018, 01:44:34 PM »

The Absolute Beginners don't even need to own a box. Spare boxes will be available. What a nice way to start to fall in love with this instrument and make lots of new friends at the same time.   

MelonBox

• Respected Sage
    • Mel Biggs Music | Melodeon Teacher
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2018, 01:01:31 PM »

The Absolute Beginners don't even need to own a box. Spare boxes will be available. What a nice way to start to fall in love with this instrument and make lots of new friends at the same time.

Very good point! Thanks for pointing that out!

TOTBIII UPDATE: 1 PLACE REMAINING!
Castagnari Trilly DG and GC, Castagnari Tommy DG all by Acorn Instruments,
Hohner Picoletta Bb/Eb and Hohner Student 1 C/F conversion set up by Mike Rowbotham.

Pick Up & Play with Mel Biggs - Online beginners course: https://melbiggsmusic.co.uk/puap

Mel Biggs Musician | Melodeon Teacher
www.melbiggsmusic.co.uk

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2018, 10:18:00 PM »

I spoke with the new owners of the Miners Standard and they are more than happy for us to take over the dinning room on Saturday evening for a session(tables reserved for a group dinner too). We are also welcome on the Friday evening should there be any early arrivals.
I've booked a B&B in Winster for both Friday and Saturday nights. Is anyone else planning to come along to the Miners Standard on Friday evening for a meal and/or some social squeezing?

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2018, 11:52:51 PM »

Yes, the Gang will be at the Miners by 8pm for food and informal playing. 

MatlockBather

• Regular debater
  • B/C and proud
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2018, 09:35:31 AM »

Hello Everybody, not long to go now so here is the timetable for the day.
Feel free to arrive from 9.00 and have a brew, chat etc and remember its a few minutes walk from the car parks to the venue.
I hope everybody has got Steve's workshop materials (contact me if not) but remember you only have to be familiar with the tunes and not fluent; remember Steve's words and  "Don't Panic"! You do not need to be note perfect as you will be developing the tunes on the day.
Looking forward to seeing everybody on Saturday.
Si

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2018, 10:15:31 PM »

We'll be in the Miners Standard tomorrow evening (by 8pm) for a meal and informal session.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2018, 10:36:57 PM »

Any French tunes in mind, Nigel? LOL! Hope you all have a great time.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2018, 10:47:23 PM »

My workshop leader (Steve D) is using 1 French tune, 1 Swedish tune and 3 English tunes. On Sunday, Mel B is using an English tune but I've called it English only because AC composed it.
During the informal sessions, I intended to play English Morris tunes (have you seen stuff about the new  Black Gate Morris side in Newcastle?) but now, I might just play a few French tunes and even a Norwegian tune in the informal sessions. This is not intended to wind you up, Winston.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2018, 11:06:01 PM »

Neither was my post, Nigel. I just like to have a little joke with you up now and then, you know me!
By the way, I've just realised that one of your French tunes must have finally stuck in my head, as I found myself humming it the other day, after what must have been a twelve month. It's the one which translates to Farewell to the girls of my country. I might even record it, to try and get it out of my system!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2018, 12:17:05 AM »

Neither was my post, Nigel. I just like to have a little joke with you up now and then, you know me!
By the way, I've just realised that one of your French tunes must have finally stuck in my head, as I found myself humming it the other day, after what must have been a twelve month. It's the one which translates to Farewell to the girls of my country. I might even record it, to try and get it out of my system!

Adieu les filles de mon pays

See hear here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6V4AYChocs
NB - the procession is dreadfully out of sync until about 2 minutes in, then it's more or less OK!

I remember learning and playing this for the first time in a Euro-session at Whitby Folk Week a few years ago (when we used to hold it in the Yacht Club). We repeated the tune over and over, very many times. It was very hypnotic and quite emotional - nobody seemed to want the tune to stop, although we did of course eventaully stop through a sort of magic mutual consent. Afterwards we felt drained and uplifted at the same time. Music does that to you sometimes.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2018, 08:51:44 AM »

It's the one which translates to Farewell to the girls of my country. I might even record it, to try and get it out of my system!

I know that this tune got under your skin because you were whistling it after we played it for the first time at the Melodeon Group. See, you like French tunes!

Squeaky Pete

• Squeaky Pete
  • Re-hohn a Hohner
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2018, 09:36:18 AM »

That's a lovely tune we (Rosbif) recorded on Bouree a Six. I thought it had the feeling of resolutely marching off to war as much as a lament so tried to get a more martial sound.
I was never much a melodeon player, I ought to have gone to some weekends like these.
Poker work DG.
Pariselle 2.6 DG, Ex-Club IIIBS CF,
Matching Liliputs in CF and DG,
Lots of sickly Hohners needing TLC,
Bassoon, Various Bagpipes........

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2018, 10:13:40 AM »

Hands up, yes it is a nice tune.
We're currently in a bit of a quandary as whether to come home early (which entails spending more cash than we've got, and also cancelling a Russian couple's holiday at our place here) as my mother is really quite poorly. (No contest actually!)
I've found that, depending on my mood, the tune generates quite a few extra layers of emotion (which I really don't need at the moment) but I cannot eject it from my "internal playlist".
I might even get to meet with the NE group in November after all! ("Every cloud", and all that.)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal