Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DERBYSHIRE Playgroup  (Read 30869 times)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: DERBYSHIRE Playgroup
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2018, 03:34:49 PM »

Huge thanks to all my workshop participants at the Winster Playgroup day. You all worked so hard, both beforehand and during the workshops too.
I hope you all enjoyed the material (melodeon band: playing in parts and harmonies) even if you found it a bit unusual and, for some, the advance music and recordings slightly intimidating, even with my 'don't panic' reassurances!

My 'Playgroup' ethos this time was just that: play (we did) and group (we played in a group). It was an opportunity for ensemble playing which otherwise seldom arises and I hope gave some, if not all, of you a very pleasant and surprising experience.

I've since had some very nice feedback, thank you, which is most gratifying.  (:)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2018, 05:51:21 PM »

It was an opportunity for ensemble playing which otherwise seldom arises and I hope gave some, if not all, of you a very pleasant and surprising experience.

I've since had some very nice feedback, thank you, which is most gratifying.  (:)

Hi Steve. I intended to send a PM. However, I’m now going public. As I think you knew, I was worried about doing 5 tunes in a day because it takes me weeks to learn a tune even in a half-baked way. You proved why you’ve been doing this for a very long time. You win and I lose. Wonderful tuition, we covered a lot of ground and the day just flew. Of course, I made many mistakes and was tired by the end but have taken lots away, including the enthusiasm to start to play the tunes today instead of storing them up for ever. See you at Border Box. Thanks so much.       

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2018, 11:25:55 PM »

Many thanks Nigel - much appreciated! Similarly to everyone who has sent me a PM - thank you!  :|glug
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

heartshaped1

• Good talker
« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2018, 07:53:48 AM »

I’d just like to add my thanks for a great day, I suspect my group may not have discovered the joys of melnet yet but they were all fantastic, committed and enthusiastic. Many thanks also again to Simon for your organisation! Sad I had to rush off, looks like I missed a good session in the Miners’ too!
Vicky
G/C/Acc VanDerAa, D/G/Acc Hohner Lucia, D/G Pariselle, D/G Castagnari Mory, G/C Castagnari Lilium, C/F Hohner Club I, D/G Hohner Pokerwork

MelonBox

• Respected Sage
    • Mel Biggs Music | Melodeon Teacher
« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2018, 10:03:51 AM »

Big fat well done to my beginners group! I think there was a lot to go on and you all did a smart job. I feel as though, whilst there was a large amount of discussion alongside the practical playing side of the day, there was a lot of valuable information in the day and plenty of time for relaxed exploration of the session survival skills I was handing over to you. A lot of these I think were revolutionary to many of you in the room and I was really pleased to hear on the day how much the workshop meant to you.

Keep up the watching, listening and following bellows directions! Create some trunk tunes of your own! Oh, and back everything up with a bit of homework to make sure your reinforcing the bits and bobs you're able to pick up on the fly during sessions/playing with others. You'll find the process of playing on the fly DOES get easier with time, patience and persistence!

Good luck!
Castagnari Trilly DG and GC, Castagnari Tommy DG all by Acorn Instruments,
Hohner Picoletta Bb/Eb and Hohner Student 1 C/F conversion set up by Mike Rowbotham.

Pick Up & Play with Mel Biggs - Online beginners course: https://melbiggsmusic.co.uk/puap

Mel Biggs Musician | Melodeon Teacher
www.melbiggsmusic.co.uk

MelonBox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2019, 04:04:07 PM »

It's time to announce that Derbyshire Melodeon Playgroup will be going ahead this year with a new venue and a new organiser!

DATES: 18th - 20th October 2019
VENUE: The Old Bell Hotel, Sadler Gate, Derby (https://bellhotelderby.co.uk/)

A big thank you to Simon (MatlockBather of this parish) for setting it up in the first place in 2016! After 3 years, Simon has decided to step back entirely from running Derbyshire Playgroup and so I have stepped forward to take over the running and organisation.

Our tutors this year will be myself (absolute beginners), Vicky Cooper (beginners) and our new face, Lewis Jones (improvers). Some of you might know Lewis from the original Evesham event as he's a Fleecey local and supporter of ginger beard and mohawk! He's going to be looking at Swedish tunes and techniques on melodeon with the improvers group - something a bit different and which I'd love to get my teeth into myself!

The venue is a 17th century coaching inn bursting with character that's right in the heart of Derby city centre. There's a Tudor bar with roaring fire which we can use for evening sessions on Friday and Saturday, and a real ale bar with a wide selection of gins. Plus they're putting together a menu for us so we can pre-order lunch and dinner meals in the morning ready for eating together in the afternoon and evening.

We'll have exclusive use of the ballroom for workshops and meals throughout the day with other rooms in the building for smaller groups and breakout spaces.

As per usual, there will be the playgroup event on Saturday with my own Thinking Outside The Box V on Sunday, so you can make a workshop packed weekend of it!

Accommodation options are plentiful and various and there's already mention of hiring a country house just outside the city centre so melodeonistas can stay together for the weekend (more on that soon!)

For non-playing partners who wish to attend, there's plenty to do and see locally both in the city and in the rural areas surrounding including walking and cycling in the Peak District, trams and steam trains, Derby Silk Mill, Derby Theatre, Intu shopping centre and more.

As per the Playgroup ethos, this will be a low cost informal event so you don't have to book. However, if you know you're coming it always helps us to know that too! You can register your interest here or by email: workshops@melbiggsmusic.co.uk

More information soon! But please help by spreading the word! Thanks :-)  :|||:
Hohner Picoletta Bb/Eb and Hohner Student 1 C/F conversion set up by Mike Rowbotham.

Pick Up & Play with Mel Biggs - Online beginners course: https://melbiggsmusic.co.uk/puap

www.melbiggsmusic.co.uk

Wicked Lady

• Dino Baffetti Art 86, Castagnari Tommy, BP2
« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2019, 07:30:14 PM »

I am already spreading the word amongst friends!

The Premier Inn (Cathedral Quarter) looks to be the closest for those of us, like me, who would like to be within walking distance and it currently has Friday night rooms for £29 and Saturday night rooms for £39.

Daz Barry

« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2019, 08:07:03 AM »

Fantastic news Mel i was hoping the event would take place.Looking forward already.Daz😎

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2019, 09:20:24 AM »

It's a shame this clashes with the revival of the East Anglian Traditional Music melodeons and concertina event on 19th October in Stowmarket. It's part of the Cider and Song Festival to be held at the Museum of East Anglian Life. I did warn Simon of the date some months ago, and I thought he'd agreed to keep 19th October clear.

Tutors are booked and information is about to go out live on the EATMT website. Tutors are Otis Luxton (beginners' melodeon), Steve Dumpleton (intermediate/advanced melodeon), Sally Barrett, (English oncertina), Alan Day (Anglo concertina).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 06:38:05 PM by Steve_freereeder »
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2019, 11:14:43 AM »

East Anglian Event - I missed that one when reading the last EATMT newsletter it is described as 'Pressing the Buttons'  day of workshops for concertina and melodeon players. Details available in mid July.  It is also clashes with a Nonsuch dulcimer gathering in Uttoxeter.  Perhaps next year.

MelonBox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2019, 03:59:54 PM »

Hi Steve. I am aware of the clash but neither myself or Alex at EATMT consider it to be a problem as geographically they are well enough apart. I had discussed this with her when she offered the cider & song weekend workshop to me months ago but I had already put the DEMP dates in my diary. I spoke to her again when I decided to take on the running of DEMP, which has always run on this weekend, and she assured me that EATMT don't have a problem with the clash. There just aren't enough weekends in the year to do everything!

www.melbiggsmusic.co.uk

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #111 on: June 21, 2019, 06:57:41 AM »

Hi Steve. I am aware of the clash but neither myself or Alex at EATMT consider it to be a problem as geographically they are well enough apart. I had discussed this with her when she offered the cider & song weekend workshop to me months ago but I had already put the DEMP dates in my diary. I spoke to her again when I decided to take on the running of DEMP, which has always run on this weekend, and she assured me that EATMT don't have a problem with the clash. There just aren't enough weekends in the year to do everything!

OK Mel, thanks.
I hope you're right about the EATMT event not being affected. It's the first time in two years we've been able to re-group after the disastrous near-collapse of the organisation due to the chaos caused by the new director who was appointed to follow on from Katie and John but who just left everyone in the lurch when she decided to defect to another job.

I've done my best over the last few months to help get the EATMT event off the ground and to help Alex as best I can. Let's hope both events are well-attended!  (:)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

NickF

• Regular debater
« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2019, 05:30:51 AM »

The clash is rather annoying, however it is great that there is a reason to be annoyed IYSWM  ;). Very, very pleased that EATMT is reviving a variant of M&M as I was very sorry to see it wither away - this time around I have committed to the Derby event. I trust that EATMT will see the value  and continue this next year.

Serenellini 233, Streb, D/G Pokerwork, D/G Liliput, Bb/Eb Liliput, Bb/Eb Comedy Wardrobe (Hohner Model X), Bb/Eb Accidental Erika

If you can smile when things are going wrong, you must have someone else in mind to blame

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2019, 07:49:05 AM »

...I trust that EATMT will see the value and continue this next year.
Thanks Nick!
Whether or not the EATMT 'melodeons and more' type event will continue next year rather depends on how much support we get this time round. It has taken a lot of work and soul-searching to recover from the hit inflicted on the organisation two years ago.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

MelonBox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2019, 11:32:55 AM »

Just to update everyone, as I have had contact from some of you who are concerned about the clash of dates:

After last year's DEMP event, Simon asked me to put the same weekend in my diary again to tutor/organise the 2019 event. Over the ensuing winter months, Simon came to the decision to stop organising DEMP and sent an email to those who had been involved in teaching/running the event informing us of such. I said clearly at the time that I had some irons in the fire for taking over hosting the event and that I would announce it when I had worked out a new venue etc.

Unfortunately, during this hand over, some lines of communication were crossed between myself, Simon and Steve and I wasn't informed that Simon and Steve had agreed that DEMP wouldn't run. Steve went ahead with EATMT to organise the cider and song day on 19th October. I was in fact offered a teaching role at the EATMT event but declined it as I had already put DEMP dates in my diary. It's just one of those things that happens when an event changes hands I suppose and there's a busy diary out there in the melodeon world and competition for dates!

What with my extensive commitments, and the fact I had already paid a deposit on the venue, booked the tutors and others have started to book accommodation, rearranging the DEMP dates is not an option. Plus, DEMP has always run on this weekend and I was keen for continuity for our regulars.

Between myself, Steve and Alex at EATMT, what we've come up with is a wish that those of you from the east consider supporting the EATMT event and those of you north of Northampton consider supporting the Derbyshire Melodeon Playgroup weekend (draw your own lines). We realise people will ultimately make their own decision about where they want to spend their time and money, of course, but our hope is that both events can run successfully with enough support from local-ish people.

Whilst it's not ideal, and it doesn't personally feel great to 'be in competition' (it's just not 'folk', I feel), I am still hopeful that both events can run and run well enough to see a return next year (but not clashing!)

www.melbiggsmusic.co.uk

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2019, 03:27:03 PM »

Thanks Mel for a great explanation of where things stand with the two events. Just to put anyone and everyone's minds at rest, we've all had a nice chat about it all and are in complete agreement that the two events should be fine going ahead as planned (fingers crossed, anyway!).

Some minor differences which might help prospective punters decide which event to attend:
The Derby event includes provision for absolute beginers, the EATMT event does not, but will be aimed at ability levels Basic, Intermediate and Higher (i.e. advanced). The EATMT event also caters for concertina players, both English and Anglo, so more like the old Melodeons and More.

Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2019, 11:16:57 AM »

Well done for organising things, just regret I am already on another jaunt that weekend and the one after!
As someone who has spent time in the area I was amused by the Northampton split - Its that A14 when it isn't roadworked (A1 junction) it runs from the M6 towards Bury ST E. It is a little bit North of Northampton.  But you can get anywhere from Northampton; apart from the seaside; quite quickly.

MelonBox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2019, 08:34:37 AM »

Hello everyone!

Please find attached a PDF of the Derbyshire Melodeon Weekend 2019 information. This contains information for both Derbyshire Melodeon Playgroup (Saturday 19th October) and Thinking Outside The Box V (Sunday 20th October).

Full information about the new venue, tutors, travel and accommodation.

I'm really looking forward to hosting this year's event and can't wait to see you all in October at The Old Bell!

Mel

www.melbiggsmusic.co.uk

MelonBox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #118 on: September 02, 2019, 08:18:37 AM »

Hello everyone! Just an update to let you know that numbers are coming in steadily for this one but there are still plenty of spaces available - both for the Saturday and Sunday 'Thinking Outside The Box' workshop.
See full info documents attached to one of my previous posts.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

www.melbiggsmusic.co.uk

MelonBox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #119 on: September 13, 2019, 10:06:54 AM »

Numbers are looking good but there's always room for more! The Old Bell are busy preparing a nice menu for us to choose our lunches from and their full (SUPERB!) menu will be available for us to choose from on the evening.

I've made a short video which is easily shared amongst friends, sessions, Morris sides and folk club groups so please do spread the word!
https://youtu.be/tjga3kYaDe8

You can find details and download the full weekend information sheet in this hand post:
https://bit.ly/2lUgNZR

Bookings via workshops@melbiggsmusic.co.uk.

Many thanks everyone!

www.melbiggsmusic.co.uk
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal