Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Ebay MADness  (Read 11103 times)

Jef

• Good talker
Re: Ebay MADness
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 04:03:47 PM »

Outbid!!! Feelings of relief and disappointment. (Already another in my sights god help me)

http://m.ebay.com/itm/172086056834

Hopefully went to a good home to someone here!

First off, hello everybody!  I'm Jef, and I want to learn to play the melodeon. (Hi, Jef.) I've been reading threads and searching for info here for a while, and wow - what a fantastic resource and great community!

Now for my confession:  I did it, it was me who outbid you.  As @TomBom and others suggested, I use the "wait till 10 seconds is left then bid" method. 

I apologize for any disappointment, though I'm glad if I have contributed to the preservation of your matrimonial harmony.  I must admit I am comforted to see that somebody with knowledge and experience thought it was worth bidding on.  Hopefully it'll end up being in playable condition when it arrives, though I understand this is a gamble.  If not, I'm sure you'll see me soon in the Construction and Repair forum soon :)

Cheers,

Jef
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 04:06:20 PM by Jef »

AirTime

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 08:14:46 PM »

The fact that the seller was able to figure out what key it is in & even provide a video clip of it being "played" is to his credit. From the video it sounds like it IS in playable condition overall, which is fairly unusual in an older Pokerwork put on Ebay by someone who is not a player. This is not to say it won't benefit from some tuning.  A good price for it. I hope you have fun learning to play!
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 08:48:57 PM »

Hi Jef, welcome to the MADhouse.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 11:52:57 PM »

I must admit I am comforted to see that somebody with knowledge and experience thought it was worth bidding on. 

A good yardstick...perhaps????

I have been watching an interesting melodeon at auction for a couple of months now, but which has been shown no interest from bidders. Not exactly a bargain, though the price seems very reasonable to me, and from a faultless seller, but I can't understand why it hasn't sold yet. I have been sorely tempted, but think I must be missing something that has put off others from bidding.  Part of me says "bid", but a wee voice says "treat with caution" because, apparently, no one else can  see value in it....

I really need another melodeon...NOT!!!  MAD strikes again???
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 12:00:21 AM by Malcolm Clapp »
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Grape Ape

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2016, 04:06:12 AM »

Outbid!!! Feelings of relief and disappointment. (Already another in my sights god help me)

http://m.ebay.com/itm/172086056834

Hopefully went to a good home to someone here!

First off, hello everybody!  I'm Jef, and I want to learn to play the melodeon. (Hi, Jef.) I've been reading threads and searching for info here for a while, and wow - what a fantastic resource and great community!

Now for my confession:  I did it, it was me who outbid you.  As @TomBom and others suggested, I use the "wait till 10 seconds is left then bid" method. 

I apologize for any disappointment, though I'm glad if I have contributed to the preservation of your matrimonial harmony.  I must admit I am comforted to see that somebody with knowledge and experience thought it was worth bidding on.  Hopefully it'll end up being in playable condition when it arrives, though I understand this is a gamble.  If not, I'm sure you'll see me soon in the Construction and Repair forum soon :)

Cheers,

Jef

Jef,

I am glad to see this end up in the hands of someone who actually needs a box.  As for me, I have plenty, but was trying to land a German built Pokerwork in GC.  As it is, I have too many boxes already!  I hope it is as good as it looked to me and that you get many years of enjoyment out of it.  And as for saving my marriage, it may well be hopeless unless I can resist several other boxes currently in my sights.... What the devil happened to me, I used to be only mildly strange before picking up my first melodeon.....

Grape Ape

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2016, 04:13:18 AM »

PS
I have none of this so called "knowledge and experience" as you say, and have only been playing for a few years, and not that well I might add.  I, like others on this site, am just "ever so slightly obsessed with the squeezebox [sic]," and therefore prone to feeding the syndicate. 

Jef

• Good talker
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2016, 01:50:07 AM »

Thanks, everybody.  I will report back once I have received the box, but I have high hopes.  There is a very active Norteño scene where I live (San Antonio, Texas) so hopefully it won't be too hard to find a good tuner when the time comes.  I am cursed with a picky ear for intonation, so we'll see how it goes :)

AirTime

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2016, 04:55:42 PM »

Part of the "picky" bit may be deciding how wet - how much tremolo - you favour in the tuning. It seems that tremolo is the desired sound in Norteño music. A Pokerwork can sound very different when it's "dried out" - the tremolo is reduced.
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2016, 07:55:10 PM »

Here is the ebay purchase I've been working on over the past couple of weeks. An early Hohner in AD with wooden action. The reeds are steel on zinc plates, and most are marked T.  Many of the joints in the case had failed, so there was a lot to glue back together.  It's had a reed overhaul and tune, and re-faced pallets.  I considered fitting new bellows but decided in the end it would loose too much of it's character.  I might look out for a contemporary bellows in better condition, but for now it plays well, and I love the patina.
Thinks to Microbot for some replacement buttons.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Microbot

• Respected Sage
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2016, 08:09:53 PM »

Lovely job Theo!

I could tell my buttons instantly (not!) Out of interest - are the reeds tapered or parallel sides? Sometimes the zinc plate is thick, sometimes thinner....but those early boxes can be so fast and so sweet-sounding.

Very 'andsome ...!

cheers

Mike

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2016, 08:38:32 PM »

Reed tongues are parallel sided, Short scale length, except for the bass reeds which are big.

Can't decide whether to sell it or keep it.  :-\
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Grape Ape

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2016, 10:26:31 PM »

Let's hear it played!!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2016, 11:23:26 AM »

Nice sound. BTW, did you hear that Soundcloud might be going out of business?

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Malcolm Clapp

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2016, 11:48:07 AM »

...did you hear that Soundcloud might be going out of business?

Sir John

Shame. Mind you, it has suffered similar rumours for the past few years.

Alternatives, anyone? (Apart from You Tube, that is...)

(Maybe this should be a separate tipoc???)
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2016, 10:11:40 AM »

I suspect that box will be with you for some time - despite others wanting it!

Rob.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2016, 10:32:32 AM »

Reed tongues are parallel sided, Short scale length, except for the bass reeds which are big.

Can't decide whether to sell it or keep it.  :-\

Could I afford it?

Sir John.
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

911377brian

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2016, 12:40:41 PM »

Not until you sell that 1040C Sir John... ;)

Malcolm Clapp

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2016, 10:30:27 PM »

I must admit I am comforted to see that somebody with knowledge and experience thought it was worth bidding on. 

A good yardstick...perhaps????

I have been watching an interesting melodeon at auction for a couple of months now, but which has been shown no interest from bidders. Not exactly a bargain, though the price seems very reasonable to me, and from a faultless seller, but I can't understand why it hasn't sold yet. I have been sorely tempted, but think I must be missing something that has put off others from bidding.  Part of me says "bid", but a wee voice says "treat with caution" because, apparently, no one else can  see value in it....

Couldn't resist any longer! When it arrives, I'll probably see why no one else was interested and report further.
At least, if I have done my dough, it might cure my MAD affliction....though I doubt it!    >:E
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal