Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Castagnari Giordy  (Read 7502 times)

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
Re: Castagnari Giordy
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2016, 03:00:47 PM »

Thanks to all who commented about the Giordy ! Am incredibly pleased with mine, just acquired from the excellent Mr W of this parish, with chords dethirded.
Just the job to annoy everyone whilst on hol, and in the local sessions ! A real stealth instrument (until one plays it...) :||:
Old Bones Dance Band

Dally

• C#D Serenellini 'cloud', C#D Hohner, Max D
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2016, 05:14:05 PM »

Does anyone play a C#D Giordy?  Because I travel for work so much I think this might be a good take-along practice instrument.
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde

DCB

• Morris: Castagnari Tommy D/G, Giordy D/G
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2016, 03:47:47 AM »

Well, I just took advantage of the drop in the value of the pound following Brexit to buy a Castagnari Giordy D/G in cherry from Pete at Acorn Instruments. It arrived up safely here in New Zealand (many thanks!) and I've been getting the hang of it.

I'd figured some time ago that two rows of six buttons were all that you really need for morris, so had determined that this would be a good portable instrument as an alternative to my Tommy for carrying around all day and for air-travel. Had considered a Lilly as a couple of friends have 'em, but it wasn't really so much smaller as to make a huge difference.

And I must say a big thank you to the folks out there who'd persuaded Castagnari to make it in the normal octaves! (And from what I've seen your influence in going to a 4th button start on their modern "full-size" boxes is also another worthwhile mod.)

The only real difference to a "normal" box is that the D bass and chord are an octave higher, but that doesn't actually matter much.
As noted elsewhere the chords lack the low note, but that can be got round by simply playing the bass with the chord (my brain knows that, but my fingers are taking a while to remember!).

How to hold the bass side does take a bit of experimenting, my solution is to put my little finger over the top of the strap. Rather wondering about attaching something to press the top of my thumb against to brace against, but it's working OK for now. And the idea of putting something under the ends of the strap to give a bit more space sounds useful.
I find it easy enough to play the air button. Might be nice to have a wooden button with smoother edges though.

I've put a couple of videos up on the Acorn Instruments Facebook page.

I've been playing for morris and in Irish sessions for about 30 years now, first a pokerwork, then a Studio, then for the last 20 years my Tommy. The Giordy fits in really well, and of course is so much more portable. It's easily loud enough, but can be nice and quiet in a session when required.
When you're playing it you mostly hear the treble side and it sounds very concertina-ish, so it's a surprise when you stand in front of someone else playing it and find that when you hear the bass and treble sides together it sounds properly melodeon-ish!

So, the Giordy makes for an excellent morris box. And if, as I gather, Hohner are quitting D/G boxes, this could become the replacement go-to box both for beginners and for regular players. Good price, and good standard of construction.
Castagnari Tommy D/G, Castagnari Giordy D/G, Dino Baffetti Black Pearl D/G, and a number of other elderly boxes

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2016, 10:29:17 AM »

Another convert! The most common mod for the bass strap, that I've heard, is to allow the thumb to sit outside, Anglo concertina style. It probably depends on your hand shape. 
Various ways have been used. A large staple and a screw, for instance.  I am making a replacement bass plate from 3mm aircraft ply. (The original is about 2mm.) I will use some bent brass rod to retain the strap. Probably bush the air button.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2016, 08:28:08 PM »

Hi
I have a modification for the Giordy but I have other things to attend to at the moment,
I will have the bits made and let everone aware.
It is a simple retro fit.
Pete

Acorn Instruments
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

DCB

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2016, 05:32:11 AM »

Well, chatting to Lyra (at our joint morris practice a couple of weeks ago) who's also just got a Giordy from the admirable Pete (to whom much sympathy) I noticed she uses all four fingers for the basses. So, after 30 years of using just two fingers (well, it worked admirably on bigger boxes) I tried that and it resolves the problem I was having when switching between rows. I now put my thumb outside the bass strap and use it Anglo style - stops my hand sliding too far through and I can use the air button comfortably enough. As the strap softens up that will become easier. I might well still use a mod, but it's working for now. I was amazed how easy it was to get the little fingers used to playing!

And something I only just figured out last week: there are two studs on the body side of the bass end - I've now realised they're for clipping down the bellows straps while playing, they just wrap round. An admirable solution! After years of being used to the straps on my Tommy just sticking out this is such an obvious approach for small boxes where the straps are longer than the body.

At some point I'll post another video to the Acorn Facebook page. My respect for this tiny power box is growing. It makes plenty enough noise for the gentlemen - a very handy Morris box.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 05:53:27 AM by DCB »
Castagnari Tommy D/G, Castagnari Giordy D/G, Dino Baffetti Black Pearl D/G, and a number of other elderly boxes

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2016, 07:34:31 AM »

Yes - much easier to use the four fingers on bass than on larger boxes. As well as obvious portability (really useful whilst workshop/session/concert/grub/dance back to session hopping at Sid for example), mine seems to lurk around the house for handy ad-hoc tune making when other boxes live in the 'music room'. Small is beautiful I.M.H.O.
Old Bones Dance Band

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2016, 09:47:38 PM »

I still like my Giordy a lot, it goes with me on all my travels.

I actually quite like having those weird chord settings. It requires some getting used to, but you can actually make more chords with it then with the 1-5 setting.

For instance: thinking in GC

you have
f/f    ac/ac  a/e  ce/g#b
g/c   bd/eg  d/g  f#a/bd

ac = Am
bd = Bm, 2 directions (lacking completely in normal setup!)
eg = Em (only thirdless or 7 in normal setup)
f#a = F#m (lacking in normal setup)

combination give you a C chord on the pull that you didnt have
(and a funny g#-b-d dim, that i actually use quite often)

I think the key is to stop thinking about the left hand of your Giordy as having basses. It doesnt have those. It just has buttons to make chords easily.
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2016, 03:23:17 PM »

Very happy with my Giordy. The only thing I don't like about it is that I'm used to Hohner flick-down air buttons and the big ol' wedge of my Streb, so I am having to hold my thumb over the tiny air button the whole time and it gets sore. I have a plan for maybe attaching something a little longer to the bass button mechanism so I can push it a little easier. When I have the time and bravery to muck it about.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

DCB

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2016, 10:59:28 PM »

I've now bought a Pelican 1300 case which is the perfect size for the Giordy - at first experimented with just removing enough of the foam for a "perfect" fit, but found in the end that taking it all out and leaving just the top and bottom foam works easiest! Very durable, dust and waterproof. Only thing I realised after getting it in the standard black colour is that a lighter colour would be better for when it's lying around in the sun.
And I've pretty much got used now to playing with my thumb outside the bass strap and using all four fingers (except for Keel Row where my little fingers don't seem to move quite as fast as we play it for Woodhouse Bog) which has the advantage I could play anybody's that way. But Pete, when you do get the mod sorted I'll be on for that, as it would be a tad easier and more comfortable to hold. I did have a few ideas on how to rig summat up, but not too keen on drilling into it just yet!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 02:42:47 AM by DCB »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal