Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Castignari Giordy  (Read 2993 times)

NoNaYet

Castignari Giordy
« on: June 07, 2009, 07:01:39 PM »

Hello melodeon players, this is my first post.

I play a Bob Tedrow baritone anglo concertina in C/G.  I am self taught and play well enough to entertain myself and occasional on-lookers, but have developed a serious problem with Giordy lust.  Can anyone give me their personal impressions of the instrument, and being self taught I was wondering about any beginning books and more importantly a fingering chart.

NNY

melodeon

Re: Castignari Giordy
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 07:50:56 PM »

Machine quality reeds, I believe

Great for a circus act or light travel

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 09:06:16 PM »

Firstly, I've just replied by PM to the original poster, so won't repeat it here.  Also, though....

Machine quality reeds, I believe

Great for a circus act or light travel

I know from personal experience that the 'circus act' thing is spot on.  However, whilst it's also true that it's small and light, I'm not sure that the instrument is necessarily the best choice if you already play a standard sized box and just want something as an occasional diversion or travel companion.  The  obvious limitations of the instrument mean that it does seem to require a different approach and technique, something that I suspect is only going to come via sustained Giordy-specific thought and practice. 
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 08:34:54 AM »

<snip>
The  obvious limitations of the instrument mean that it does seem to require a different approach and technique, something that I suspect is only going to come via sustained Giordy-specific thought and practice.  
As the happy owner of a Castagnari Mignon (1 row Giordy) I fully concur with GbH, it is a very different animal to a "real" melodeon and is much harder to play well. It's mainly, in my opinion, down to the fact that the reeds speak very quickly and very loud so much more delicacy is need in playing one. Mind you I have completed a complete morris tour (Saddleworth Rushcart - didn't feel like humping a big melodeon around the 5 mile walk) as a single musician using only the Mignon and it was fine.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 08:36:27 AM by Lester »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal