Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Project box  (Read 29827 times)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Project box
« Reply #160 on: May 25, 2016, 01:01:26 AM »

I can certainly see the point of setting the upper limit of travel for the levers; no clacking against the fingerboard, but I'm still stumped by the need for restricting the downward travel. (Unless your fingers are small enough to disappear down the holes, that is.

Because (I imagine - others please correct me) you want a natural cessation to the downward push. If you have to guess (or predetermine) when to stop pushing then it requires a much more complex motion -  like pulling a punch. It is what I imagine playing a Theramin is like -  no obvious place to land. maybe it is my clarinet playing days talking, but that just wouldn't be possible to play with precision without a bump stop.

P&T is pretty much correct: restricting the button travel really improves the feel of the instrument and can assist accurate and speedy playing.
Unmodified Pokerworks and Ericas, for example, are notorious for the buttons 'disappearing down mine shafts' effect, and yes - it can be painful for smaller fingers if they get trapped between the button and the side of the hole.

Playing with the fingers in a somewhat flat position so that the pads of the fingers come to rest on the side of the hole rather than going into the hole can help in the case of an unmodified instrument, but in my opinion it is far better to have the button travel restricted; the improvement is remarkable.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #161 on: May 25, 2016, 02:08:07 AM »

Perhaps, like many things, I shouldn't knock it until I've tried it? I know that when I got my Hohner thing, I was amazed at the way the bellows didn't fall about, until Theo assured me that melodeon bellows were supposed to be like that. Of course, I was used to pumping my old firewood boxes like billyo to keep a tune going!

However, I still cannot imagine just what difference, apart from actually making my fingers stop at a particular point other than at the fingerboard, it will make. I guess I'll have to follow someone's on-line instructions to restrict my buttons and report back. Could it be that I'm playing with the wrong part of my fingers, and that's also part of the reason why my playing isn't very good at all?

Mind you, I've got to say how much I'm enjoying following (and being envious of) the workmanlike job that Jef is doing here, it's fascinating and makes my efforts look like what they really are; back-street-bodging!!!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Jef

• Good talker
« Reply #162 on: May 25, 2016, 04:33:27 PM »

Speaking as a beginner, though there is little risk of my particular fingers getting stuck in a hole, having the buttons travel restricted feels like a big improvement.  I did this on my Pokerwork following Theo's excellent pictorial.

On this instrument, my problem was more the opposite - the bottom plate on the fingerboard was stopping the buttons too soon - so it wasn't a tough decision.

Jef

• Good talker
« Reply #163 on: June 08, 2016, 04:09:14 AM »

Hi, everybody.  Work has been crazy busy and I have not had much of any spare time to work on the box.  Hopefully, I'll be able to get back to it soon, but no progress for now :(

Once I emerge from the present crush, my plan is to start in on the bellows.

I know several of you have been following the rebuild with interest, which I shall endeavor not to betray.

mr hohner

• Regular debater
  • K.BLAND Melodeons
« Reply #164 on: June 28, 2016, 09:06:55 AM »

Any more progress?
Castagnari Studio D/G, Serenelli D/G, Hohner Pokerwork D/G, Castagnari Lilly D/G , Sandpiper Dublin II G/C, Serenelli Silyvia G/Acc

Jef

• Good talker
« Reply #165 on: June 28, 2016, 04:12:38 PM »

Any more progress?

Regrettably, no.  It just sits there, mocking me.   >:(

I did receive strap brackets from CGM yesterday, which is a minor victory.

tirpous

« Reply #166 on: June 28, 2016, 08:15:18 PM »

I did receive strap brackets from CGM yesterday, which is a minor victory.

Any step forward is not a step backward.   ;)

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #167 on: June 29, 2016, 07:08:35 AM »

I know the feeling. So many things to do you drown in not doing them. My Organette just sits in the workshop and mocks me when I go in.
 I bought a rather nice Pokerwork from Theo recently, I've played it twice. Is it just me or does this happen to others in old age ?
   By the way I don't mean to highjack the thread.  :-X
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

mr hohner

• Regular debater
  • K.BLAND Melodeons
« Reply #168 on: June 29, 2016, 02:51:58 PM »

I know the feeling. So many things to do you drown in not doing them. My Organette just sits in the workshop and mocks me when I go in.
 I bought a rather nice Pokerwork from Theo recently, I've played it twice. Is it just me or does this happen to others in old age ?
   By the way I don't mean to highjack the thread.  :-X
Well Nick.... if your pokerwork is just sitting there having only been played twice I could always give it a home free of charge...
 ;)
Castagnari Studio D/G, Serenelli D/G, Hohner Pokerwork D/G, Castagnari Lilly D/G , Sandpiper Dublin II G/C, Serenelli Silyvia G/Acc

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #169 on: June 29, 2016, 08:14:49 PM »

Hah! You've goaded me into playing it.......it's mine it's mine I tell you  ;D
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal