Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mory v full three row.  (Read 1569 times)

melodeon

Mory v full three row.
« on: February 25, 2016, 11:33:37 PM »

In actual practice.. what cannot be done on a G/C 1/2 Mory that could be done on a G/C acc system?

Music inclination would be trad French, Nordic, a bit of Quebecois, fiddle tunes, modern a la Samurai.. etc.

Think Benny, Handry, Matris, Rik  et al.

Anyone have experience with Castagnari  2 1/2 also  3 row given Acc similar to Heim. ?

Craig Gordon

Re: Mory v full three row.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 05:55:05 AM »

I am currently scouring this site with almost this same question. I am actually keen to know the practical difference between a 2-row (with two accidental buttons) vs a 2.5 row. I am hoping to make a GC purchase that will last for years and I don’t mind spending a bit extra if I am getting value for money...
Beltuna Sara 3 G/C

melodeon

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 06:48:03 AM »

As I am the "OP"

This comes down to what is now given as commonly accepted wisdom..

Depends on what music you want to play.

Go to you tube and loom up Samurai Accordi (e) on or accordeon on Samurai and check out the Finnish player on a Mory..

Check out his web site as well, then know he has switch from the Mory to a Beltuna 3 row.

A three row GC Acc can do most anything.

A Mory is limited
A two row is limited..
but, it depends on what you want to play.

I went a full circle and ended up playing one rows for the last few years.. (until I was forced to give up playing)

Perhaps one day I'll be able to regroup and my choices will be between a
2 row 23 button B/C  or as strange as it seems,  a 3 row GC Acc... not because of the GC alone but of the possible chromaticism.  (is there such a word.)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 08:10:20 AM »

I am currently scouring this site with almost this same question. I am actually keen to know the practical difference between a 2-row (with two accidental buttons) vs a 2.5 row. I am hoping to make a GC purchase that will last for years and I don’t mind spending a bit extra if I am getting value for money...
As Jeff/Melodeon has said, it really comes down to the sort of music you want to play.
The basic practical difference between a two-row with two accidentals and a 2.5 row is that the latter gives you the accidentals in two useful octaves (as opposed to only one octave in the former) and usually a couple of useful reversals as well.

The jump-up in weight between a 2-row 3-voice box such as a Hascy (3.9 kg) and 2.5 row 3-voice box such as the Mory (5.4 kg) is significant and needs to be taken into account. There is a smaller increase when you go to a full 3-row 3-voice box such as the Handry 12 (5.6 kg), but you need to decide for yourself whether the extra weight and cost justifies buying one. Personally I find the 2.5 row Mory has exactly what I want and no need for any more extra buttons. But your own needs and aspirations may well be different.

One other point - comparing like with like in terms of layouts and playability, although they are both very fine instruments, the Beltunas are noticeably heavier to play than the Castagnari equivalent.

Ultimately it comes down to personal choice and 'try before you buy' is perhaps the best advice. Also, you are unlikely to immediately find the perfect box that will 'last for years'. Perhaps start somewhat modestly with a 2.5 row and play it for a a year or so and then, if you find you really need all the extra buttons on the third row, trade it in for a full 3-row box.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 08:11:59 AM by Steve_freereeder »
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 09:05:10 AM »

Apart from the extra weight, a Mory has larger casework than a Hascy, it's 2cm taller when playing ( 30cm Mory vs 28cm Hascy ).
After sitting beside the bass end of one at a session, the extra size casework seems to provide a wonderful richness to the sound.

Yes the Mory gives access to more accidentals. It also has the ability to change voices on both ends at the flick of a switch which is quite appealing.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal