Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need some basic info on pickups please  (Read 19979 times)

Paul Young

• Good talker
    • paulyoungfolk.co.uk
Re: Need some basic info on pickups please
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2008, 03:48:14 PM »

In a nutshell, a "balanced" connection means that the signal is carried using 3 wires and a noise-suppression technique that cancels any interference that may be picked-up by the cables. In other words: clean sound. All pro sound equipment uses XLR balanced connections.

Righto. Thanks for that.  :)

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2008, 03:54:14 PM »

Twice as many worries that something may go wrong!

Quite right, except that I think it would be more than twice as likely though.  All those extra leads, boxes and adapters. If something can go wrong, it *will* go wrong.

Here's an article explaining the balanced/unbalanced connections thing:

http://www.roadogz.com/stories/downunder/seriouslyunbalanced.htm

If you're playing professionally (or a sensible amateur) you should have backup mics and leads as well.

Paul Young

• Good talker
    • paulyoungfolk.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2008, 04:13:42 PM »

Right, I hereby promise I'll now stay well away from anything involving:
*jack connections
*EQ conrols
*combining the two mic outputs

So that pre-amp thing's right out.

Having established that, can anybody reccomend anything I can use to go wireless? Are there any systems capable of sending two signals or am I going to have to buy two seperate ones, one for each mic, that transmit on different frequencies? Or are there reasons why I should stay well away from wireless things as well? Some people recommended it earlier in the thread...

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2008, 05:00:56 PM »

Or are there reasons why I should stay well away from wireless things as well? Some people recommended it earlier in the thread...

Well... if you ever play at festivals/large gigs, you may find the sound guys won't let you use a wireless setup, because of the merry fun interference with other people's wireless setups (and indeed local taxi companies!) causes. I've played at a festival which has 10 (count them!) folk dance tents, all of them amplified, and all of them very close to each other. Wireless is an absolute no-no. So if you do go wireless, and it's very convenient I'll grant you, make sure you have a wired backup system - you don't always know what environment you'll be playing in.

Cheers,

Clive

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2008, 05:05:24 PM »

There is a guy across the Channel who might be able to help with sound issues (perhaps you know him already):
Bernard Loffet

Trouble is I'm currently in a position where I'm not sure how long I'll be sticking with my current instrument, and a lot of the gigs I'll be playing in the foreseeable future are going to be along the lines of "here's our PA system, do what you can with it". Plus I just bought those two mics so I want to give them a chance first.  ;) So what I'm looking for at the moment is something that gives me a bit of control myself and that can be moved from instrument to instrument.  ???

Still worth having a chat with him for advice - he's a really good bloke, and knows the subtleties of miking up melodeons probably better than anyone, being an expert in both melodeons and sound systems. He speaks good English too. Oh, and he's a *fantastic* player.

Cheers,

Clive

Paul Young

• Good talker
    • paulyoungfolk.co.uk
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »

Oh, and he's a *fantastic* player.

No argument there - to soothe myself whilst learning about the complexities of melodeon amplification I've been listening to his "Extraits sonores". The playing and the instruments both sound really lovely.

Good point about the wireless Clive - suppose it's a compromise between the hassle of wires to get tangled up in and the hassle of getting and using the equipment to get rid of them. To be fair at my last gig I'd plugged the mics directly into the PA and the wires weren't quite as long as might be desirable. For next time I think I'll get some XLR cables, plug those into the PA and gaffa tape the other end to the floor roughly where I'll be standing. That'll give me a sort of "anchor point" and a little circle of movement where I'll hopefully not get in too much of a tangle.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2008, 06:14:40 PM »

To be fair at my last gig I'd plugged the mics directly into the PA and the wires weren't quite as long as might be desirable.

Another advantage of XLR is that the cables are always male at one end female at the other, so you if your cable is not long enough just plug in to another one to extend the length.  I find it is quite helpful to tuck a loop of cable into my belt.  It stops the cable swinging around from the instrument, and gives a bit of safety slack in case I accidentally put tension on the cable.  Sticking the cable to the floor is not something I would do,  defeats the purpose of having an instrument mic so you can move around! >:(
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

oldclubII

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2008, 06:23:19 PM »

Another important point is to buy the best quality cables you can afford. For durability, and also sound quality.

Luke Hillman

• MAD hatter
  • Good talker
  • Berkeley, CA
    • Anglo Piano
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2020, 12:04:26 AM »

Paul, I've stumbled on this thread about 13 years too late. I see from your excellent videos on YouTube that you've found several mic setups that work well for you. I'm starting off now almost exactly as you described in your original post: I want something minimally complicated; don't want to have to deal with all kinds of supporting peripherals if I don't have to; don't want to make permanent modifications to my instrument; willing to spend a bit but less is better. Main use case will be recording at home.

Do you have current recommendations for a simple double mic setup?

Paul Young

• Good talker
    • paulyoungfolk.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2020, 08:54:08 AM »

Hello Luke. I just had a surprising email reminding me that this thread exists. Thanks to everyone who patiently explained things to idiotic 2007 Paul. :)

Two clip-on condenser mics work well. I currently use two Audio Technica Pro 35s, one clipped to the bass strap and one stuck to the treble end with a little bit of industrial Velcro. I've also used the Shure Beta 98 which has the advantage of a long enough goose neck that the treble end one can be clipped onto your bellows. I'd seen French players doing this. Not sure if over time that might harm the bellows at all, but it always seemed fine.

For recording at home I sometimes use large diaphragm condenser mics on stands in stead. Currently having the best results using a mic on a stand for the treble end and the usual clip on for the bass. The stand mics I use are nothing special or fancy - cheap and cheerful Thomann own brand mics.

Luke Hillman

• MAD hatter
  • Good talker
  • Berkeley, CA
    • Anglo Piano
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2020, 04:54:38 AM »

Thanks so much, Paul; I'm glad to be able to benefit from your decade-plus of experience since the original post. Not often you can reply to a thread this old and get a response at all, let alone a useful one from OP :)

This was exactly the kind of recommendation I needed. I'll give the Pro 35 a shot. I've borrowed a USB condenser mic I can experiment with, too, and go from there. Thanks again; hope you're doing well.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal