Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shand Morino  (Read 19717 times)

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
Re: Shand Morino
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2009, 11:02:48 PM »

Personally I use a massive mix of bass technique. I never really make a conscious decision, but sometimes it ends up being punchy unison bass (bass and chord together) or oompah or else longer notes as Ian describes. The latter is something that I need to work on, as my bass work does tend to be a bit too stabby at times.

I also don't use one way of playing the basses, for example if I'm playing for morris I use a different style for different traditions depending on what fits the dance and the tune best (and what I like playing) -- but I pretty much *never* play straight oompah...

The same applies to the right hand, I probably never even play a tune exactly the same twice through, and the style for different dances can be totally different, and I use varying dynamics and arrangement changes just like I do when playing in a band.

What I was pointing out is that there are more ways of skinning a cat than the easy obvious one...

Ian
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

TomB-R

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2009, 11:40:36 PM »

Can't claim this is first hand, but I'm told the lack of B minor is a problem for the 8x6 48 bass layout?
Tom

Yes, I would definitely go along with George's argument that the 12 x 4 variety would be much better. Would certainly be more useful to me than an 8 x 6 layout (which is what I use currently and am frustrated with its limitations). When faced with the above difficulty I just doodle around with D when really I need a Bminor chord. It sort of works but it ain't right. The B row with D# counterbass would be really useful.
AL
If you're stuck with 8x6 it might be worth moving the reeds around so that instead of going E-flat to E it goes B-flat to B.

An 8x6 is going to have Stradella mechanism so it would surely be a matter of "reprogramming" by altering the little pins that push the pins that twist the rods that move the bell cranks that lift the relevant pallets!  ;D
Tom

TomB-R

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2009, 11:57:58 PM »

.....then again, would it work to move all the reeds to the next fifth around the circle so that you lose a row from the "flat" end but gain the B row at the "sharp" end.
Too late in the eve to work out in my head whether that would work!
Tom

Edit: If it did work it would mean the C row is one step along from normal etc.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 11:59:42 PM by TomB-R »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2009, 12:07:23 AM »

.....then again, would it work to move all the reeds to the next fifth around the circle so that you lose a row from the "flat" end but gain the B row at the "sharp" end.
Too late in the eve to work out in my head whether that would work!
Tom

Edit: If it did work it would mean the C row is one step along from normal etc.

Yes moving reeds is definitely the way to do it.  Messing about with the stradella mechanism is the stuff of nightmares.

You would need some new B reeds, but probably only the lowest one or two octaves.  The higher reeds used in chords will already include B reeds which are needed for example in G, and Em chords 

Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Waltham

• Regular debater
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2009, 12:20:22 AM »

Tom B-R: Trust me, I've looked into this in some detail, it's easier to change the reeds, which are waxed in, than the pins, which are soldered on.

HallelujahAl: To make basses, counterbasses and chords for every key from E-flat to E you actually need every reed there is (assuming enharmonic equivalence).  So you've got everything you need and it wouldn't have cost them much weight or complexity to give you all twelve keys; annoying isn't it?  Anyway, move the C reed to where the F reed used to be, the G to the C and so on, remembering of course that "Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Bottle".  It's a good chance to clean and tune your reeds and replace any defective valves (skins, leathers etc). At the end of this process you'll have the dimpled button on the G bass so you can try steaming it off and swapping it with the new C but it's not guaranteed to work with all models, so you might prefer to just get used to it.  I now recall that you're a bass enthusiast so giving up your E-flat might be more of a blow than it might be to most.  Maybe you need two sets of reedblocks.  Or to buy my Trichord and my CBA and swap the treble reeds.

TomB-R

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2009, 07:24:41 AM »

Tom B-R: Trust me, I've looked into this in some detail, it's easier to change the reeds, which are waxed in, than the pins, which are soldered on.

Absolutely, I thought reprogramming once, looked carefully, and decided, er.... no!  ;D
Tom

HallelujahAl

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2009, 08:23:15 AM »

I now recall that you're a bass enthusiast so giving up your E-flat might be more of a blow than it might be to most.  Maybe you need two sets of reedblocks.  Or to buy my Trichord and my CBA and swap the treble reeds.

Have thought about having an interchangeable set of reed blocks - not really feasible for quick changes. Already have the trichord - but am thinking about selling it to help purchase another BCC# instrument rather than try to adapt it.

BTW you're right - Eb is a must for me and all the stuff that I play.
AL

george garside

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2009, 09:43:07 AM »

I don't quite understand - where do I get the B reeds from?
AL
[/quote]

?a reed seller - where else - try Theo

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2009, 10:09:15 AM »

I don't quite understand - where do I get the B reeds from?
AL

?a reed seller - where else - try Theo

george
[/quote]

But since its just the bass reeds you will need it should be quite feasible to retune by adding or removing weights from the reed tips.  The reeds in each bank of bass reeds are all the same size, so retuning by this method will not compromise reed response.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2009, 12:40:54 PM »

But since its just the bass reeds you will need it should be quite feasible to retune by adding or removing weights from the reed tips.  The reeds in each bank of bass reeds are all the same size, so retuning by this method will not compromise reed response

Thanks Theo - I was responding to WALTHAMS suggestion that
If you're stuck with 8x6 it might be worth moving the reeds around so that instead of going E-flat to E it goes B-flat to B.
which made me think that what was being suggested was that the B row could be obtained by juggling around what is already in situ rather than going out and buying a new set of reeds.

Your answer has helped me to understand that my initial reading of Waltham's post was correct.
Unfortunately, as other posts indicate I do still need the Eb row as well - so perhaps I really do need to get another instrument?
 ;)
AL

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2009, 12:44:41 PM »

I now recall that you're a bass enthusiast so giving up your E-flat might be more of a blow than it might be to most.  Maybe you need two sets of reedblocks.  Or to buy my Trichord and my CBA and swap the treble reeds.

Have thought about having an interchangeable set of reed blocks - not really feasible for quick changes. Already have the trichord - but am thinking about selling it to help purchase another BCC# instrument rather than try to adapt it.

BTW you're right - Eb is a must for me and all the stuff that I play.
AL

Re interchangable reed blocks,Jills cba has these to change from LMM tuning to MMM which have been tuned to sound like Shand Morino.sounds great and will be quite usefull when she gets head round playing it.

Pete
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Waltham

• Regular debater
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2009, 03:30:57 PM »

I now recall that you're a bass enthusiast so giving up your E-flat might be more of a blow than it might be to most.  Maybe you need two sets of reedblocks.  Or to buy my Trichord and my CBA and swap the treble reeds.

Sorry, that should have been brass enthusiast.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2009, 09:15:58 PM »

Sorry, that should have been brass enthusiast.
A weasy mistake to make  ;D

Daniel McPhee

« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2018, 03:43:40 PM »

That looks like a reasonable price as well, let us know what it's like :P

Not sure I agree here about the Sharino. It certainly is a touch bulkierthan the morino and the Swiss steel hand made artigiana reeds May sound slightly more mellow in tone to the hohner reeds but it’s certainly a very well made box. Dynamics? one just has to listen to Billy McGuires Fantini video Accordion continental to see what can be done in one. Personally I own two and apart from the slight bulk I think they are superb boxes of the highest modern day quality
Cheers
Daniel

KLR

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2018, 02:46:43 AM »

Hi Daniel, thanks for putting all those videos up, great playing and the box sounds wonderful.  I noticed it was a titch mellower than some, my Manfrini is very crisp.  My Paolo is positively lo-fi, it's a 50s 3 voice that barely works though so...my Gaelic is nice and bright, and richer than the Manfrini, but I only asked for tipo a mano reeds.

aegelstane

« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2018, 01:00:45 PM »

Hi Daniel, Whilst all this technical stuff is over my head we did have a chap who had a succession of Shand Morinos here in Shrewsbury in the 60-70s Won't go into the question of how he obtained them, new, from various UK-wide retailers or the fact that he could, just about, knock out a tune on the C row only! Was privileged to hear Brandon play a brilliant set on his visit here in November. The clan must be very proud of him. One question please: The Will Starr box that Brandon plays has a fourth row of buttons on the melody side. What do they do and was this a one off.

triskel

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2018, 01:08:48 PM »

The Will Starr box that Brandon plays has a fourth row of buttons on the melody side. What do they do and was this a one off.

AFAIK they do nothing, they're dummies.

triskel

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2018, 01:13:44 PM »

The Will Starr box that Brandon plays has a fourth row of buttons on the melody side. What do they do and was this a one off.

AFAIK they do nothing, they're dummies.

Yep, here's the story of how it acquired them, and how it came to Brandon: Will Starr's Accordions: German, black 4-row Hohner Morino

Daniel McPhee

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2018, 01:58:12 PM »

Just saw the question just now sorry , yes I played it. They are literally just stuck on with glue!

Daniel McPhee

« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2018, 02:03:05 PM »

Nothing was ever as well built as the Shand Morino , what you have to remember is the majority of them are now nearly sixty years old and it’s not too often you get a good one in fact most of them need money spent in them to get them up to standard. Quality wise the next move is the Fantini Sharino Rather like a Rolls Royce is to a Mercedes Benz. It’ was designed to carry on from the morino, a high quality modern day equivalent so to speak.
The Manfrini Artisan is also a top of the range three row.
These are the big guns of the three row world...
Regards
Daniel
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 02:06:07 PM by Daniel McPhee »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal