Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jack Doyle (R.I.P.) and James Keane  (Read 2310 times)

triskel

Jack Doyle (R.I.P.) and James Keane
« on: March 25, 2016, 03:36:29 AM »

Very sad news tonight from Camp, Co. Kerry - the great D/C# accordion player Jack Doyle has passed away.

I only met Jack once, when he was playing in Páidí Ó Sé's Pub at Ventry with Maura Begley, about 25 years ago, but it's a memory that I'll always cherish, and the first time I ever heard one of the (very powerful!) Irish-American Baldoni, Bartoli accordions being played...

He was 87 years old when this video of himself and James Keane was filmed last July: JACK DOYLE and JAMES KEANE GET TOGETHER IN CAMP, TRALEE, CO. KERRY. JULY, 2015

melodeon

Re: Jack Doyle (R.I.P.) and James Keane
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 03:38:39 AM »

I just watched that about three hours ago. 

Fantastic !!!!!

I envy your personal contact with Mr. Doyle.

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 07:08:48 AM »

Yes I've seen that vid before. Jack Doyle has an amazing rythmn on that recording.

triskel

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 02:57:08 PM »

Born in 1928, Jack Doyle emigrated to New York in 1947 and played professionally in New York and Chicago before returning in 1963 to Ireland, where he settled at Camp, on the road between Tralee and Dingle, Co. Kerry. He grew up in a family of musicians; his parents played the concertina, flute and fiddle, his brother Tom also played the accordion and another brother, Stanley, played the fiddle.

There's a lovely publicity shot of him taken for RTÉ's 'The Long Note' (Jack was featured in the programme broadcast on 22 February 1990) in Camp, County Kerry, at the time, in the RTE Stills Library: https://stillslibrary.rte.ie/indexplus/image/2295/017.html. The accordion he's holding in the photo is by the Baldoni, Bartoli Company of New York, and it's their Model 730 - Professional Model.

His Death Notice: Jack Doyle of Foilnatrasnig, Camp, Co. Kerry on 23rd March 2016. Reposing at his son John's home- Camp Junction House- on Good Friday from 4pm to 8pm. Liturgy of the Word on Saturday at 11am in St. Mary's Church, Camp. Interment afterwards in the New Cemetery, Camp. Donations in lieu of flowers to the Palliative Care Unit, University Hospital Kerry or Dingle Community Hospital.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 04:29:37 PM »

Stephen,
Sorry to hear this sad news :(

Great playing! Interesting cut away grill in first video
would this be the same box with different bellows and grill removed? might be that all I'm seeing in video is metal that is still there after the grill is removed.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

triskel

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 05:01:22 PM »

... would this be the same box with different bellows and grill removed?

No, it's a different one - I know (from what he told me) that he had at least a couple of them...

triskel

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 09:01:29 PM »

... would this be the same box with different bellows and grill removed?

No, it's a different one - I know (from what he told me) that he had at least a couple of them...

So I got the low down from Charlie Harris at the session in Gort last night, that he'd come to via Jack's funeral in Kerry...

In fact the box Jack is playing with James Keane is a Walters (which I thought it might be, from the buttons!) that he was given by another "returned Yank" (a term for an Irish emigrant who has come back from the USA) when he could no longer play it.

And Jack had two Baldoni, Bartoli accordions - a 1.5-row 8-voice that was made for him in 1953, which he sold to Charlie Harris (who knew him well) about 20 years ago, and the 21-key 6-voice that he's holding in the RTE photo, which was originally made for his brother Tom and is illustrated in the Baldoni catalogue on Ted McGraw's page with his name "T. Doyle" on it (http://www.tedmcgraw.com/Baldoni_Ads.html).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal