Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Where To get funding for a new box  (Read 4754 times)

mr hohner

• Regular debater
  • K.BLAND Melodeons
Where To get funding for a new box
« on: March 31, 2016, 05:44:46 PM »

Hi all, I reached then conclusion that it is time to move to either a 2.5 row 12 bass or 3 row, ive been playing 2 row 8 bass for a number of years now and now often find myself wanting notes that I don't have... Being 16 im no millionare so I was wondering if anyone knows of any grants to purchase one with, I know about a few but no luck so far... Im not fussed if the box costs £10 or £10000, i just want to give it a go.

cheers
mr hohner
Castagnari Studio D/G, Serenelli D/G, Hohner Pokerwork D/G, Castagnari Lilly D/G , Sandpiper Dublin II G/C, Serenelli Silyvia G/Acc

deltasalmon

Re: Where To get funding for a new box
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 06:16:00 PM »

There was suggestions to another young player looking for funding here: http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,16111.msg198174.html#msg198174
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

george garside

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 07:39:36 PM »

Hi all, I reached then conclusion that it is time to move to either a 2.5 row 12 bass or 3 row, ive been playing 2 row 8 bass for a number of years now and now often find myself wanting notes that I don't have... Being 16 im no millionare so I was wondering if anyone knows of any grants to purchase one with, I know about a few but no luck so far... Im not fussed if the box costs £10 or £10000, i just want to give it a go.

cheers
mr hohner

If you think going to a 2.5 or 3 row box is so important its time to start saving up for one! - meanwhile  there is a fascination in learning the dark art of faking notes you don't have and being able so to do greatly extends the scope of the simple 2 row 8 bass box.It is also well worth remembereing that some of the best   players eg John Kirkpatrick, Tony Hall,Pete Coe etc  stick faithfully to  Hohner pokerworks  .

perhaps when you can play a 2 row like Tony Hall it may be time to consider a costalloti!

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

mr hohner

• Regular debater
  • K.BLAND Melodeons
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 08:17:12 PM »

cheers
mr hohner
>:( I bought my castagnari Studio by busking lots, im now at sixform college and dont have the time that i had back then to spare. If i had time I really would!!!

If you think going to a 2.5 or 3 row box is so important its time to start saving up for one! - meanwhile  there is a fascination in learning the dark art of faking notes you don't have and being able so to do greatly extends the scope of the simple 2 row 8 bass box.It is also well worth remembereing that some of the best   players eg John Kirkpatrick, Tony Hall,Pete Coe etc  stick faithfully to  Hohner pokerworks  .

perhaps when you can play a 2 row like Tony Hall it may be time to consider a costalloti!

george
Castagnari Studio D/G, Serenelli D/G, Hohner Pokerwork D/G, Castagnari Lilly D/G , Sandpiper Dublin II G/C, Serenelli Silyvia G/Acc

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 08:56:01 PM »

Go busking with the one you have already!
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 09:06:03 PM »

It's a sad fact of life that few of us can afford what we'd like.  There is one compromise that you might consider.  If you hunt around on ebay, you will eventually come across a pre0war Club in good condition,  It takes very little work to de-club these and that will give you 7 helpers on the extra row, but still only an eight bass (though one extra bass/chord pair)  but it will be in either C/F or Bb/Eb.  The action tends to be far superior to the Pokerwork and the reeds much more responsive.  So that would at least offer a half-way house on which to experiment and learn.

I'm afraid you are likely to find little support from older members in looking for a grant.  Most of us have spent a lifetime working to buy what we have and may not look too kindly on anyone looking for a hand-out which ultimately comes from our pockets.  Having said that (just to clear the air), good luck in your search.

Rob.

Sebastian

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 09:37:26 PM »

Let me quote Anahata:

Go busking with the one you have already!

george garside

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 09:43:00 PM »

or flog the nine you appear to have already!

mr hohner

• Regular debater
  • K.BLAND Melodeons
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 10:03:25 PM »

But there all my little babies... :-[

george garside

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 10:09:18 PM »

OK put it another way, I would dearly like a 40 button Shand Morino and am an impoverished old age pensioner - but I would not expect a freebie' nor would I get one!

george >:E

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 10:17:46 PM »

There seems to be a real trend for younger players to head for more buttons, it looks like 3 row 18 bass is becoming the norm in Europe. I think this is a pity because there is so much potential in 2 rows, come to that what about one rows? Some of the most impressive playing I hear is on one row boxes. I bought my first one row in 1978 and am still nowhere near reaching its limits. If you are really convinced that you need more buttons go for an old Hohner.

Sebastian

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 10:28:39 PM »

But there all my little babies... :-[
;D ;D ;D

triskel

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 11:33:21 PM »

There are some serious bargains to be had in Hohner Club Model boxes - here's an absolutely top, top quality Morino club, with 12 basses, 5 reeds and CASSOTTO and lots of registers, for less than the price of a new Chinese Pokerwork: HOHNER MORINO CLUB N HARMONICA.

The only downside is going to be the size and weight of it, but it's one helluva box!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 08:35:13 AM »

When I was your age I was working for my grade 8 clarinet exam. I had a reasonable 2nd-hand mid-range pair of student instruments (in Bb and A) which my parents helped me to buy, having saved hard myself too; we didn't have a lot of money coming into the household. The clarinets were by no means the best, but certainly not poor-quality either. I worked hard on them, got to know their limitations and how to mostly overcome them. Above all though, I enjoyed them, I loved playing in orchestras and bands.

I did my A-levels, went to university, walked everywhere instead of getting the Tube and lived on meagre rations for a whole semester to save money for an alto saxophone; eventually got a career job in the mining industry, got married, got a mortgage for a house, raised a young family, etc...

All through this time, I kept up my orchestral playing on an amateur and semi-professional basis (theatre orchestra work mainly) and gradually saved enough after about 12 years to be able to exchange my clarinets for a professional-quality pair of instruments, which I still have. When I needed something extra, such as a bass clarinet, I was usually able to borrow one for a short time; although I eventually sold my hard-won saxophone in exchange for a bass clarinet of my own.

The point of telling you all this, is to say 'be patient'. You are young. Make your existing instruments work for you. Work for what you want at the same time as enjoying what you already have.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 08:53:42 AM »

Wot Steve said!!
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 08:55:23 AM »

An understandable desire. You could try the recently established fund for young musicians, set up under the government's " Melodeons for All" initiative, which can be found at loof.lirpa.gov.uk
Grant applications can only be made once a year, in early Spring. Check for details.
(:)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 09:03:25 AM »

An understandable desire. You could try the recently established fund for young musicians, set up under the government's " Melodeons for All" initiative, which can be found at loof.lirpa.gov.uk
Grant applications can only be made once a year, in early Spring. Check for details.
(:)
Good point, Mike.

There was actually a similar scheme in the 1970s. I applied once but it wasn't accepted. The scheme was discontinued after a very short time.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

911377brian

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2016, 09:15:20 AM »

I've just realised what day it is.... ;

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2016, 09:39:06 AM »

Get yourself an Isa and save up. You could even sell stuff you don't use any more (computer games, clothes etc.). Get a Saturday job. Sometimes you have to be patient to get what you want.
It will be a good lesson in saving.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2016, 12:21:55 PM »

You could try the recently established fund for young musicians, set up under the government's " Melodeons for All" initiative, which can be found at loof.lirpa.gov.uk

Well played!
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal