Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where To get funding for a new box  (Read 4755 times)

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
Re: Where To get funding for a new box
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2016, 01:48:35 PM »

16 yrs old! Young people today! Harrrumph! Why, when I was your age I walked up hill to school both ways, etc.!
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2016, 02:41:42 PM »

Damn zut and caramba. Foiled again. Too late by 2 1/2 hours (and 40 odd years) to apply for the latest government grant to those in need.  :'(
What is needed is a very rich benefactor to offer instruments on loan , or grants to promising young musicians. However, even when I get my millions through from the failsafe Nigerian investments  ::) this would be low down on priority of worthy causes.
When I were a lad there was a pokerwork if you were lucky. My heroes John K.,Tony Hall and Pete Coe seemed to do ok. And then some of us started to explore, and now we can see wonderful musicians from all over the world playing great boxes and we covet ability and instrument. Can't buy the former and the latter doesn't automatically make us play better (though it can certainly inspire that !).
Unfortunately very few of us can make any kind of living out of traditional music (apart from maybe building up a diverse work portfolio).
So to echo many others- busk, scrimp and save, join or start a ceilidh band, find any kind of job and become an expert on the instrument available. End of lesson.
However, I would dearly love to bequeath my instruments to aspiring young musicians when I pop my clogs and squeeze my last (hopefully not soon!) I wonder how to set that up....
Old Bones Dance Band

invadm

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2016, 03:41:55 PM »

Hi all, I reached then conclusion that it is time to move to either a 2.5 row 12 bass or 3 row, ive been playing 2 row 8 bass for a number of years now and now often find myself wanting notes that I don't have... Being 16 im no millionare so I was wondering if anyone knows of any grants to purchase one with, I know about a few but no luck so far... Im not fussed if the box costs £10 or £10000, i just want to give it a go.

cheers
mr hohner
Hey Mr Hohner,  give me your details today I'll buy you one today :||:

mr hohner

• Regular debater
  • K.BLAND Melodeons
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2016, 03:56:26 PM »

Hi all, I reached then conclusion that it is time to move to either a 2.5 row 12 bass or 3 row, ive been playing 2 row 8 bass for a number of years now and now often find myself wanting notes that I don't have... Being 16 im no millionare so I was wondering if anyone knows of any grants to purchase one with, I know about a few but no luck so far... Im not fussed if the box costs £10 or £10000, i just want to give it a go.

cheers
mr hohner
If only this was for real...
Castagnari Studio D/G, Serenelli D/G, Hohner Pokerwork D/G, Castagnari Lilly D/G , Sandpiper Dublin II G/C, Serenelli Silyvia G/Acc

mr hohner

• Regular debater
  • K.BLAND Melodeons
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2016, 04:01:05 PM »

cheers
mr hohner
April Fools Day, catches me every time...
Castagnari Studio D/G, Serenelli D/G, Hohner Pokerwork D/G, Castagnari Lilly D/G , Sandpiper Dublin II G/C, Serenelli Silyvia G/Acc

AirTime

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2016, 10:36:22 PM »

So sad to come across someone so young, afflicted with an incurable disease (MAD).   :'(
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2016, 10:58:07 PM »

I think that there are some slightly unrealistic aspirations on this thread, from both camps.

I learned to play on a Delicia Popular. It was awful and my playing stagnated very quickly, to the extent that I barely played for three or four years. I didn't have the money to upgrade. I saved up and bought a rather nice ukulele, as well as various other things, but on my pocket money it would have taken me around four years to buy a new pokerwork. The current cost of a 2.5 row new is absolutely completely unobtainable. I bought my Bouebe with my first pay packet from my first job, with my Dad paying half as a combined Christmas and Birthday present for a good number of years. I am very lucky in that my parents and relatives put aside some money for me over the years and some of that has been invested in boxes (with their consent). I also saved from my student loan and lived frugally. Busking is all very well, but it is unpleasant in poor weather, it isn't as lucrative as one might like on a consistent basis (I have earned anything from £3 to £60 in an hour) and personally I don't much care for it.

So I think that a) it is legitimate to want a better box, if you feel that your playing will benefit from it and b) it is impractical to save up for a brand new box if you are studying full time.

However.

As others have said, there are options and the main option is to adjust your expectations. You *can* get an affordable, decent quality 12 bass 2.5 row if you go down the reconditioned Hohner route. Mike R has done many 12 bass club conversions, so has Theo. Talk to them and see what you say. Sell a few of your wrecks, save as much as you can and you'll be surprised how quickly you reach the target. Saving up to £1200 (or however much one costs) is a great deal easier than saving up to £2500+.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2016, 11:41:17 PM »

Busking is all very well, but it is unpleasant in poor weather, it isn't as lucrative as one might like on a consistent basis (I have earned anything from £3 to £60 in an hour) and personally I don't much care for it.
I agree with much that you've said - for example, that having a good enough instrument is vital. I've also often been persuaded by members on this forum that I should stick to two rows until I have built a more substantial skill level. But I also agree that funding should be available for genuine need cases.

I do suspect, though, that the quote form your post I've left in will be the bit that reinforces the 'go and earn it' reaction, because it hints that the options for working one's ticket are available but distasteful. My own kids get things I can't afford for myself, and I do wonder if I'm doing them any favours.
By the way - it's my birthday in 22 minutes - so if there is anyone out there who wants to support a tired out  :||: I'd be grateful.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

benammiswift

• Regular debater
  • Squeezing for Derbyshire
    • benammiswift.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2016, 11:44:46 PM »

First of all I got my grant from the EMI Music Sound Foundation towards my D/G/Acc Handry 18 and I would encourage you to give them a go.

With that out of the way I will tell you that after playing a big box like the Handry you begin to love the limitations of a two row, I am in no way about to sell my Handry as I love everything about it but I like that challenge of trying to get as much of the 18 bass out of an 8 bass as I can, that may just be me though. I would seriously try as many makes and models of melodeon as possible : Castagnari, Saltarelle, Serafini, Clement Guais, B Loffet, Beltuna and M Rowbotham Hohners all spring to mind instantly. I bought my Handry because it was the best for me however you do need to be incredibly strong to play a box that big rhythmically and so something smaller or lighter may suit you better, try and see. I like 18 basses as my system gives me enough notes and chords to not restrict me whilst still requiring me to still be creative to make chords I don't have like Dm which can be made by mixing D bass and F chord. I would say don't listen to people saying 'get this box' or 'dont get this box', Listen to what they say, Make your own independant judgement on it and then go with what you decide and what you like because everybody is different and likes different things in a melodeon. People told me I'd never play my Handry and that It'd be to heavy for me to do anything with, but I use it for everything including Morris and I love it to bits and find it so nice to play.

I would say that if you sell some melodeons and do some busking it's amazing how quick the money comes, you work and work and then all of a sudden there's enough money to buy a box. I've done this and put an order in for a C/F/Acc Handry because I love my D/G so much.

Just a few thoughts, PM me if you want a chat

Benammi 

P.S If you can travel or are passing Derbyshire you're more than welcome to try my Handry if you want
Castagnari Handry 18

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2016, 01:58:35 PM »

My current Rx for MAD is "take 2 Anahata 2-row videos and call me in the morning"…..
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2016, 10:18:08 PM »

Busking is all very well, but it is unpleasant in poor weather, it isn't as lucrative as one might like on a consistent basis (I have earned anything from £3 to £60 in an hour) and personally I don't much care for it.
I agree with much that you've said - for example, that having a good enough instrument is vital. I've also often been persuaded by members on this forum that I should stick to two rows until I have built a more substantial skill level. But I also agree that funding should be available for genuine need cases.

I do suspect, though, that the quote form your post I've left in will be the bit that reinforces the 'go and earn it' reaction, because it hints that the options for working one's ticket are available but distasteful. My own kids get things I can't afford for myself, and I do wonder if I'm doing them any favours.
By the way - it's my birthday in 22 minutes - so if there is anyone out there who wants to support a tired out  :||: I'd be grateful.

Yes, apologies if my post was read like that. But busking is not for everyone and I certainly don't think that boxes should be restricted to those that enjoy playing in that arena!

Listen to Benammi Mr Hohner (:)
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2016, 09:56:35 AM »

I've just re-read the original post, and a comment by Bennami has made me think that I don't think I'd ever need a Dm chord!

I started to look around 2.5 row boxes as I started to find the odd note I thought I needed. Then I reviewed the situation after a good friend demonstrated what options he had on a Mory.
I realised most of the keys available I'd never use but I would be wrestling with a very large instrument for little usable gain for me in the music I play.

What I learned was that you don't necessarily have to progress to a larger instrument, unless the music you want to play dictates it.
On my 2 row 8 bass I'm learning to use the chin end accidentals and dealing with the stretch of fingers, and also cheating if I need a note that isn't on the box.

But.... It really does come down to repertoire. The odd thing I can't play I now accept, and I'm learning there's a huge amount of tunes I can play on it, more than I'll ever learn.
It might be worth making sure you really do need to go to a larger box, and if you do then good luck.
Just another thought.....
Cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Howard Jones

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2016, 11:49:12 AM »

Is the "Take it away" scheme still running?  This allowed young people to get an interest-free loan to buy a musical instrument.  You still have to pay for it of course, which doesn't solve the problem if you've no money, but it spreads the cost.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2016, 11:54:35 AM »

But busking is not for everyone and I certainly don't think that boxes should be restricted to those that enjoy playing in that arena!

Listen to Benammi Mr Hohner (:)
Yes, busking doesn't work for me - much potential embarrassment for a high school music teacher to be caught playing an instrument that he only has a passing knowledge of - straight to youtube with open season on the comments.
So - my son has heard my pleas and MADE me a new melodeon. His name is Willoughby (should he turn out to be a famous maker later in life).
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Corinto

• Regular debater
  • Spain/Brasil/Belgium
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2016, 12:24:08 PM »

So - my son has heard my pleas and MADE me a new melodeon. His name is Willoughby (should he turn out to be a famous maker later in life).

Bon appétit !!!
Carpe diem, C.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2016, 01:15:01 PM »

;D
That is one alternative solution
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2016, 01:40:19 PM »

That's the sort of melodeon icing along with.

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2016, 01:10:52 PM »

That's the sort of melodeon icing along with.

Sir John

Ouch!  ;D
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal