Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner nova series CBA's  (Read 12166 times)

waltzman

Re: Hohner nova series CBA's
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2009, 07:58:45 PM »

PS. And I really hope that you will have better luck with yours than what I had with my Nova.

Thanks.  I haven't made the decision yet.  I keep hoping to find a nice simple 3 row C-grif on Ebay but that's not likely I'm afraid.

Waltham

• Regular debater
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2009, 08:01:08 PM »

Just out of curiosity, why do you want a C griff?

HallelujahAl

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2009, 08:10:57 PM »

Yes, I too was wondering why you fixed upon C system? It seems to be the more popular in the UK at the moment. But I would want to play classical and I know that most classical accordionists in the UK tend to play B system. Again, why I don't really know. Perhaps someone could explain?
AL ???

risto

• Respected Sage
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2009, 08:41:39 PM »

...But I would want to play classical and I know that most classical accordionists in the UK tend to play B system. Again, why I don't really know. Perhaps someone could explain?
AL ???

I asked these same questions when looking for a CBA. (I also had to consider between the C-Euorpe and C-Finnish system). The answer I got was that the B-system may be somewhat more fluent for melody playing but the C-system works better for chord playing, needed in dance music etc. The value of this answer is no more than that of hearsay. You can find great players with both systems, at least that is a fact.
Paolo Soprani 5-row, Roland FR1B-digital CBA button accordion. Guitar, 5-string OT banjo, mandolin, piano...
My one man band recording: https://apari.fi/Bonaparte_Crossing_The_Rhine_Risto.mp3

HallelujahAl

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2009, 08:48:46 PM »

I asked these same questions when looking for a CBA. (I also had to consider between the C-Euorpe and C-Finnish system). The answer I got was that the B-system may be somewhat more fluent for melody playing but the C-system works better for chord playing, needed in dance music etc. The value of this answer is no more than that of hearsay. You can find great players with both systems, at least that is a fact.

Do the chords fall easily uinder the fingers? That's one thing that is holding me back a bit about CBA as I'm very comfortable with the way the chords are under the hand on my PA.
AL

risto

• Respected Sage
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »

Do the chords fall easily uinder the fingers? That's one thing that is holding me back a bit about CBA as I'm very comfortable with the way the chords are under the hand on my PA.
AL

In my opinion yes, though I'm playing the the Finnish C-system. Not different logic wise, only the helper rows are differently located around the 3 basic rows. I have made charts of some scales which helped me to understand the logic involved. Have to make same type pics of chords sometime soon.
Paolo Soprani 5-row, Roland FR1B-digital CBA button accordion. Guitar, 5-string OT banjo, mandolin, piano...
My one man band recording: https://apari.fi/Bonaparte_Crossing_The_Rhine_Risto.mp3

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2009, 11:01:57 PM »

AL
There's a small book available called "Tableaux D'Accords Main Droite Pour Accordeon Boutons Chromatique" ("Tables of Right-Hand Chords for Chromatic Button Accordion") which shows diagrams of 36 RH chords for each of the 12 notes of the chromatic scale. It doesn't say so, but, being French, it is for the C system - cela va sans dire. The book is available from Trevani.

Here's a quote from another CBA website: "The keys are really close - only about half of the C-C distance compared to the piano keyboard. This makes it very easy to play those nice BIG right hand chords."

waltzman

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2009, 11:06:57 PM »

Just out of curiosity, why do you want a C griff?

Only because they are more common in the US and the instructional materials I've been able to locate are for C griff.  I don't know enough about them to have a good musical reason.

Waltham

• Regular debater
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2009, 01:17:53 AM »

The basis for this claim, which is quite common, can be seen here.  To play a major chord your middle and rin fingers stretch a little further than your index and little (pinkie) fingers which is a little more natural than vice-versa as required on the B-griff.  But if your fingers are properly poised there's really not a lot in it, and for other chords you'll have to do different things anyway.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal