Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible upgrade to a 3 voice  (Read 5001 times)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Possible upgrade to a 3 voice
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2016, 07:01:25 AM »

It's quite common for MM to be tuned with one set on pitch and the other sharp...
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

boxer

• Respected Sage
  • B/C Pokerwork - ultimate ceili box
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2016, 02:43:17 PM »

I think if the "wet" MM tuning was musette, it might matter, and a high-low pitch arrangement sound better. 

As the wet MM is a very modest Saltarelle swing, it works fine, although I'm sometimes tempted to open the pitch gap out a bit more to get faster swing and thereby more audibility, in big sessions....

...although I've got the Pokerwork (as a nuclear option) and a wet Cairdin (nearly as lethal, and prettier) that have all the punch I need for that kind of stuff.

It's a pity that the pitch of individual voices can't be changed just by turning a knob on the side of the box, then all I'd ever need is one box with two voices.  Come on Theo, how about it.....?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 02:45:46 PM by boxer »
Nuage, Tommy, Cairdin, 
Double Ray DLX 21x12, Black Dot,
Pre-Erica, Pokerwork
plus various stringed things

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2016, 03:10:09 PM »

Ok I'll do it.  £5m down payment, for delivery in 2040.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2016, 04:18:18 PM »

Try playing near a ceiling fan, it will give you all the tremolo you need.
The Bedford concerts at Sidmouth being a case in point.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2016, 04:19:22 PM »

Very reasonable, considering.
www.melodeons.com

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2016, 05:02:15 PM »

Hi
I appreciate financial considerations more often than not put restraint onto what we buy,one of the most versatile boxes is the Castagnari Trilly,
Voice combinations of L,LM LMM,MM,M.  also full voice changing on bass side.  Not too bulky or heavy.

Pete

www.acorninstruments.co.uk
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2016, 05:47:27 PM »

Hi
I appreciate financial considerations more often than not put restraint onto what we buy,one of the most versatile boxes is the Castagnari Trilly,
Voice combinations of L,LM LMM,MM,M.  also full voice changing on bass side.  Not too bulky or heavy.

Pete

A lot cheaper than five million quid!
www.melodeons.com

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2016, 07:31:18 PM »

Doesn't anyone make a two row with six stops, then? It could be a straightforward conversion, I would have thought. A D row with M, M+ and M++ then the same with the G row, if you're working on a DG box, that is.
(Yes, I know that I don't know anything at all!)
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

boxer

• Respected Sage
  • B/C Pokerwork - ultimate ceili box
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2016, 07:49:33 PM »

As I recall those are more or less the same terms as you quoted for doing a 16-bass conversion on my Black Dot.  I'd like to say that the money was never a problem, and only the lead time was an issue.

I'd be lying of course.  Me and the Black Dot are getting along fine with just the twelve, so I'll pass on the dial-a-pitch conversion too (btw I registered the name, just in case you do get round to doing it)
Nuage, Tommy, Cairdin, 
Double Ray DLX 21x12, Black Dot,
Pre-Erica, Pokerwork
plus various stringed things

AirTime

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2016, 08:53:34 PM »

Try playing near a ceiling fan, it will give you all the tremolo you need.

In all honesty, playing in a space with a lot of reverb does astonishing things to the volume & quality of the sound. Not the same thing as out-of-pitch tremolo. The most space impressive I've played in was a very high ceiling art gallery with slate floors. Not only was the sound very loud, there was a lot more depth & richness to the sound, I could "hear myself playing" & ... any slight errors in bellows control/timing were pretty much disguised. 
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

emrock

• Regular debater
  • Busker, based in Southern Germany
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2016, 09:03:01 PM »

Ever since I built a couple of boxes a few years back, I have been toying with the idea of a box you can switch out reeds on. By which I mean take out one set of reeds and replace with a different set quickly. Have some ideas how it could work, but will probably never have the time, money or space to have a bash at building it. Also on reflection it is a bit mad!

hickory-wind

• Lives in NY USA near the Erie Canal
    • Bellingers' Button Boxes
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2016, 10:50:38 PM »

Doesn't anyone make a two row with six stops, then? It could be a straightforward conversion, I would have thought. A D row with M, M+ and M++ then the same with the G row, if you're working on a DG box, that is.

Here is a 2 row 6 stop Hohner in EA.

BellingersButtonBoxes.com
too many boxes...please buy one, or two, or

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2016, 11:02:16 PM »

Ever since I built a couple of boxes a few years back, I have been toying with the idea of a box you can switch out reeds on. By which I mean take out one set of reeds and replace with a different set quickly.

Didn't Doug Briggs offer a similar option at one time? I've only ever seen and played one example of his, and I seem to recall that opening the instrument and removing reedblocks was achieved very simply and quickly, and without tools.
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2016, 11:02:52 PM »

The Saltarelle Nuage is more or less like this except that the registers for the two rows are linked.  It does mean you can choose any combination of the three reeds.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2016, 11:03:59 PM »

Ever since I built a couple of boxes a few years back, I have been toying with the idea of a box you can switch out reeds on. By which I mean take out one set of reeds and replace with a different set quickly.

Didn't Doug Briggs offer a similar option at one time? I've only ever seen and played one example of his, and I seem to recall that opening the instrument and removing reedblocks was achieved very simply and quickly, and without tools.

The Briggs boxes I've seen all have conventional bellows pins, and screwed fixings to secure the reed blocks. 
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Malcolm Clapp

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2016, 11:12:19 PM »

The Briggs boxes I've seen all have conventional bellows pins, and screwed fixings to secure the reed blocks.

OK, maybe it was a dream! (I really shouldn't eat cheese before going to bed >:E )
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2016, 11:50:25 PM »

That sounds like a good excuse, Malcolm! I'll have to remember it for some of my future utterances, thanks.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Malcolm Clapp

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2016, 01:25:17 PM »

OK, maybe it was a dream! (I really shouldn't eat cheese before going to bed >:E )

The more I think about this, the more I think the cheese was not to blame....

As I recall, and it was 20 odd years ago, the Briggs in question was a 2 voice C#/D, but was supplied with a neat little fitted case containing a set of D/D# reeds, the idea being that the instrument could be quickly converted for an Eb session.

There were, I'm sure, two small clips on the front of the melodeon which, if turned 180 degrees, would release the treble end from the bellows frame, similar to those under the grill of a Hohner Atlantic piano accordion (but far better finished; chromed from memory, and not under the grill). The back of the bellows frame was internally hinged to the body, but could be separated at 90 (?) degrees or thereabouts.

The reed blocks were held in with heavily sprung T clips mounted between the blocks; pull them up and turn 90  degrees to release the blocks. Put the other blocks in, both treble and bass, close it up again and voila.

Go to whoa under a minute. (Usually takes me longer than that to find the right screwdriver  :-* )

I can't recall the name of the owner; she was holidaying from Ireland, and her sister was Sydney-based and played in the band I was in at that time (Martin Doherty's band Roisin).

No, I'm convinced it wasn't a dream....but even if it was, it seems like a good idea. Anyone know if other makers have tried this, or if you've seen this box?

Maybe it was a one-off or a prototype, or even perhaps some clever person had retrofitted it. Dunno....but it seems the sort of thing that Mr B could probably have produced.

(Off to the fridge for some cheese... good night!)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal