Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Liz Carroll and Billy McComiskey  (Read 1562 times)

Gromit

Liz Carroll and Billy McComiskey
« on: April 28, 2016, 04:14:26 PM »

Beautiful couple of tunes here - anyone know how Billy McComiskey gets that unique sound in the great second tune at about 3.30 mins that playing sounds like the sound on the two Trian albums - also name of the second tune?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd1jV7oE0-E

ereeder

Re: Liz Carroll and Billy McComiskey
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 07:33:45 PM »

The second tune is The Diamond from McComiskey's Outside the Box. Composed by Billy, per the liner notes.

Gromit

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 09:48:13 AM »

Thanks mate

triskel

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 12:46:24 PM »

... anyone know how Billy McComiskey gets that unique sound in the great second tune at about 3.30 mins that playing sounds like the sound on the two Trian albums ...

What you're hearing is the sound of a very good "old grey" Paolo Soprani. That's why they're so sought after by Irish players.

DaveCottrell

• Good talker
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 03:01:55 PM »

On the video yes, but, unless I am mistaken, Billy used the Nuage on the Trian albums.

Gromit

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 05:54:08 PM »

Thanks but I believe it's more than the old grey Paolo - it's his style of playing like there's a kind of pulsing, tension to his playing. I can't put it into words but it's not something I've heard from other old greys - I'd like to know how he does it, must be in the way he's pushing and pulling the bellows I guess.

The Idle Rich

• Good talker
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 06:02:19 PM »

I always wondered why Billy had new reeds put in his old grey?

triskel

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 05:46:06 AM »

Thanks but I believe it's more than the old grey Paolo - it's his style of playing like there's a kind of pulsing, tension to his playing. I can't put it into words but it's not something I've heard from other old greys - I'd like to know how he does it, must be in the way he's pushing and pulling the bellows I guess.

OK, I guess you mean his dynamic control of the box then? My old (c.1954) Paolo Soprani "pepperpot" has a most astonishing dynamic range in it - it'll play at anything from a whisper, up to screaming and shouting...

I always wondered why Billy had new reeds put in his old grey?

I must admit I was remembering how that box used to sound, but it's a good few years since I last saw Billy and heard him play it. I've been checking out some more recent YouTube clips of him in the meantime and I'm afraid I don't much like the hard sound it has now.

But it has had an awful lot of playing in its life and I guess it was starting to get rather "tired" because it seems he was trying to "restore" it. There were problems with the mechanism that he got fixed by (pipes maker) Benedict Koehler, and he got Martin Connolly to replace the reeds, so they're probably Binci now, but expensive handmade reeds don't necessarily produce the best results in any given box.

But hey, I'm somebody who prefers the more lively sound of Castagnaris with cheaper "export" reeds in them, instead of dearer tipo a mano...  ::)

melodeon

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 02:56:53 PM »

"But hey, I'm somebody who prefers the more lively sound of Castagnaris with cheaper "export" reeds in them, instead of dearer tipo a mano...  ::)"

You are not alone.

I have played some outstanding Castagnaris with "export" dural reeds.  Ciacy and Sander sound great with the lesser quality reed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal