Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bands...do many last 50 years?  (Read 2302 times)

D_mentias

Bands...do many last 50 years?
« on: June 17, 2009, 11:18:22 AM »

I was just posting some links of  favourite band of mine..the "Gay Charmers". They are celebrating their 50th year together this year and are in high demand as a dance band in Victoria Australia. They were originally formed in northern Victoria at a place called Lake Charm when the term 'gay' didn't have today's connotations.

There newest member is the melodeon play Morrie Geirish who joined in the early 70s. I do not know why they have lasted so long but they are known to have impeccable dance rhythm. They even have a Cd available but you generally have to attend a gig to get one!

Now this got me wondering...are there many other bands that feature a melodeon  that can boast of their golden jubilee? Many of those Morris teams have elderly players?

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
  • B/C/C# Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze
    • Graeme's homepage
Re: Bands...do many last 50 years?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 11:20:57 AM »

The band I play in is 52 years old.  It's my grandfathers band.  Although he's the only original member, we have 3 generations of us all in one band.  My fathers the drummer and my brother plays the fiddle.  My grandad plays the Shand Morino too.
Black Shand Morino

HallelujahAl

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 11:26:50 AM »

The band I play in has been going since 1927 - lots of changes in membership, and musical styles etc - but still going after 82 years!
AL
 ;D

pipives

• Respected Sage
    • Pip Ives
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 01:12:50 PM »

I was just posting some links of  favourite band of mine..the "Gay Charmers". They are celebrating their 50th year together this year and are in high demand as a dance band in Victoria Australia. They were originally formed in northern Victoria at a place called Lake Charm when the term 'gay' didn't have today's connotations.

There newest member is the melodeon play Morrie Geirish who joined in the early 70s. I do not know why they have lasted so long but they are known to have impeccable dance rhythm. They even have a Cd available but you generally have to attend a gig to get one!

Now this got me wondering...are there many other bands that feature a melodeon  that can boast of their golden jubilee? Many of those Morris teams have elderly players?

Well, the catsfield steamers have now been going 32 years, see www.catsfieldsteamers.co.uk or www.whydance.org to listen to them
Faversham, Kent

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 06:03:45 PM »

The band I play in is 52 years old.  It's my grandfathers band.  Although he's the only original member, we have 3 generations of us all in one band.  My fathers the drummer and my brother plays the fiddle.  My grandad plays the Shand Morino too.

That's fantastic :) Whenever we go down to Sidmouth we generally busk on the sea front, myself, my father, uncle and grandfather.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 11:08:23 PM »

Well, the catsfield steamers have now been going 32 years, see www.catsfieldsteamers.co.uk or www.whydance.org to listen to them

I first came across Peeping Tom around 1977, and they'd been going for probably 5 years before that - which makes 37 years. My involvement with them was due to the Earlsdon Morris connection (I married one of the latter) and their melodeon player, Ben Woodward, was my original inspiration for buying a Hohner pokerwork in around 1978.

Diane

Malcolm Austen

• Respected Sage
  • any old hohner
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 08:27:39 AM »

[/quote]

Their LP is one of my favorite recordings, I play my CD copy of it in the car loud when I am on my own and it never fails to make me smile. I find the he two The Bursledon Village Band recordings also have the same effect.
aka malodeon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal