Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Excelsior Bilbo  (Read 5207 times)

emrock

• Regular debater
  • Busker, based in Southern Germany
Excelsior Bilbo
« on: May 01, 2016, 09:07:57 PM »

Further to my thread on upgrading, does anyone have any experience of the Excelsior Bilbo? It seems to be a Tommy copy, which interests me as I bought my Excelsior mini (very similar to a Lily) as I uch prefered the tone and balance between treble and base.

Elledeepee

• Good talker
Re: Excelsior Bilbo
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 07:21:57 PM »

I'm interested in this question and surprised that there aren't any answers. I'm looking for a light box with more than one voice.
Morris dancer, flute and whistle player and improving player. Castagnari Rik, Excelsior Bilbo

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 02:24:32 AM »

Interesting to see this, and other Excelsior melodeon models, on various quite recent web pages.

On 31st May this year, I received an email from Donatella Melella at Pigini/Excelsior, Castelfifardo, stating (and I quote)

"With reference to your request we regret to inform you that we stopped the production of diatonic accordions many years ago".

So I'm wondering where, and by whom, these so-called Excelsior melodeons are now being made?

Just curious....
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Elledeepee

• Good talker
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 05:03:13 PM »

Interesting to see this, and other Excelsior melodeon models, on various quite recent web pages.

On 31st May this year, I received an email from Donatella Melella at Pigini/Excelsior, Castelfifardo, stating (and I quote)

"With reference to your request we regret to inform you that we stopped the production of diatonic accordions many years ago".

So I'm wondering where, and by whom, these so-called Excelsior melodeons are now being made?

Just curious....

That's very interesting information Malcolm. I'll ask at Hobgoblin tomorrow as I'm visiting to have a look at one (amongst other boxes). They state on their website that they are made by Pigini https://www.hobgoblin.com/local/sales/brands/excelsior/category/420/melodeons/ but I couldn't find any reference to them on the Pigini site.  Assuming that a reputable dealer wouldn't misrepresent their goods I wonder if this is old stock that is circulating around a few of the music stores? I have found a couple of web pages of musicians who have a Bilbo and like it but would love to hear from anyone on this forum who has had one or decided against one after trying it.
Morris dancer, flute and whistle player and improving player. Castagnari Rik, Excelsior Bilbo

boxer

• Respected Sage
  • B/C Pokerwork - ultimate ceili box
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 06:43:56 PM »

the old stock theory seems reasonable to me.

I bought a lovely, heavily discounted and slightly distressed, but brand new Tommy from Hobgoblin in 2008.  Naturally curious, I removed the grille when I got it home, to find that the builder had dated it (in pencil on the soundboard) 2001.

Hence the patination etc, and the big discount.

It was a fabulously good bargain and I love the box, but it shows how long stock, particularly more expensive models, can hang around for. 
Nuage, Tommy, Cairdin, 
Double Ray DLX 21x12, Black Dot,
Pre-Erica, Pokerwork
plus various stringed things

Elledeepee

• Good talker
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 05:03:20 PM »

I decided to take the plunge and purchase the Bilbo as it ticked all my boxes at the moment.  It does seem that this is older stock and that there were issues with the Euro exchange rate and supply that meant that there weren't many of those boxes around. 

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 11:22:29 PM »

Elledeepee, congratulations on your new acquisition, and I'm glad my earlier post didn't put you off.

I've played many Excelsior boxes over the years, both piano and button, and never found one that I didn't like. Well-made and comfortable to play.

Enjoy!
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

mselic

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 05:59:57 AM »

Please do post your thoughts on this box once you've spent some time with it - I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

Elledeepee

• Good talker
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 11:09:49 AM »

Will do. Some feedback from a friend who played it in the shop was that it was very like the Castignari Tommy and he later said that after going home and playing on his own Tommy he preferred the Bilbo.  I haven't played a Tommy and wouldn't have the skill to spot the difference yet.

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 12:59:59 AM »

Just seen the above thread and, having returned from Whitby Festival with a new (to me) 3-voice box, am likely to be selling my like-new Excelsior Bilbo. Anyone who's interested, keep an eye out on here, or pm me.

Elledeepee

• Good talker
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 09:43:10 PM »

Just seen the above thread and, having returned from Whitby Festival with a new (to me) 3-voice box, am likely to be selling my like-new Excelsior Bilbo. Anyone who's interested, keep an eye out on here, or pm me.

What are your thoughts on the Bilbo?

Little Eggy

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 10:01:58 AM »

What are your thoughts on the Bilbo?

I'm a year into playing, so not very experienced.   Hobgobblin Bristol have a Bilbo (Aug 2017). It sounded really lovely to me, and seemed easy to play.  It's quite subjective but it was much less strident than my Scarlatti Nero and easier to play than my lovely Pariselle.  Just under £1,500 so pretty pricey.  I'm developing early symptoms of MAD and have spoken to 'er indoors about an early Christmas present, but it will take some serious work on my part I fear.

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 11:42:28 AM »

The trick with MAD is to have a 'one in, one out' policy. As long as you don't exceed your agreed critical mass of melodeons, you can indulge all you want. They all look very similar to the uninitiated.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 03:21:21 PM »

The correct number of melodeons to own is N+1 where N is the number you currently own. May be superceded by S-1 where S is the number your significant other will allow you to own before real trouble ensues (:)

MartinW

• Regular debater
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 03:59:34 PM »

The correct number of melodeons to own is N+1 where N is the number you currently own. May be superceded by S-1 where S is the number your significant other will allow you to own before real trouble ensues (:)
Or, if you like to live dangerously, S-1+X where X represents the melodeons your significant other doesn't yet realise that you own.
Martin

TomBom

• Respected Sage
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 04:44:03 PM »

The trouble with S is: you don't really know until you try.

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 04:56:39 PM »

And remember, cases make useful extra coffee tables - though I advise taking the melodeon out first -can't be too careful...
And really a minimum of one melodeon per room is the least one should aim for...

J (still wondering if it's possible to get away with disposing of a Gremlin cajun 1 row and buying a Jilly, for example without being detected...  ::))
Old Bones Dance Band

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 10:50:23 PM »

On the Excelsior Bilbao, before I started I went into Hobgoblin in London to buy a whistle. I tried out their melodeons - despite not being able to play at all, and the Bilbao was by far the nicest they had in. That was a few years ago and I haven't tried one since I started playing, but there you go. It was enough to inspire me to hire an instrument.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2017, 07:08:03 AM »

But Lester, as a repairer you have perfect cover to restore as many as you want...so 'no, no, that belongs to a customer'..and..'I am just testing this one'...or even...'it does look quite a bit like that other one, but it's not mine' ..should trip off your tongue.

Mike-T

• Good talker
  • 1930s Hohner B C C#, D/GAcc Benny, 2.5 Beltuna
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2017, 07:41:31 AM »

One large empty case can quite easily hold 2 lilliputs  >:E
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal