Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner models to be discontinued???  (Read 20201 times)

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
Hohner models to be discontinued???
« on: May 10, 2016, 09:25:28 AM »

Not wishing to cause panic (as if   >:E ), but I've today been told by a usually reliable source in the US that Hohner is about to discontinue manufacturing the Erica, DoubleRay and Pokerwork models.

Anyone able to confirm this?

Or is it just a retailer (or perhaps Hohner?) trying to get some quick turnover by scaring would-be purchasers into making a decision to buy "while stocks last".

I intend to grill the local Hohner agent in Sydney tomorrow morning, and will report back....
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
Re: Hohner models to be discontinued???
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 01:36:10 PM »

Malcolm, I have heard the same, plus Hohner USA plans to carry many, many less models that are still being made, for example Merlins and Galaads.  Market in USA not selling a lot of 2 and 2+ row diatonic.  So I hear.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

triskel

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 04:02:25 PM »

I've been told by two people in recent weeks that they've dropped the Double-Ray (Black Dot) from their range - in fact the lady who told me that last week also said she'd bought all their remaining stock of them.

Mind you, they were threatening to do it about 25 years ago!

At this stage the 2-row boxes are pretty much of a minority "niche" market for them, the "big sellers" (with an ever-expanding range) are the 3-row boxes for Tex-Mex, Mexican and South American music...

george garside

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 05:34:17 PM »

pity they don't 'expand' the 3 row range to include a 'new' trichord with either 12 stradella or better still  a 40 or 48 bass piano box bass grafted on.  They have all that's required in their parts bin.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 06:51:33 PM »

Time to get all those never finished project Pokerworks and Erica's out of the dusty corners corners of workshops around the country !! I sense an increase in S/H prices in the offing !!!! 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 06:55:06 PM by Henry Piper »
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

deltasalmon

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 08:11:42 PM »

pity they don't 'expand' the 3 row range to include a 'new' trichord with either 12 stradella or better still  a 40 or 48 bass piano box bass grafted on.  They have all that's required in their parts bin.

george

The people buying the 3-row accordions in the US typically remove the bass blocks anyway so I don't think there would be much point in adding more bass keys.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

triskel

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 09:36:17 PM »

I'm sure they would George, if you could guarantee to take a container full off them to sell every year. That's what it boils down to, but the market for diatonics has become a very Latino one for Hohner. :(

Otherwise it sounds like a one-off job for Mike Rowbotham, or some other such melodeonistic Frankenstein...  ;)

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 09:07:59 AM »

From what I`ve seen, over here, most are chasing German made versions of those boxes and more and more wrecks and beaters are getting fettled everyday so I doubt Hohner stopping making Chinese Ericas and Pokerworks are going to affect the availability of these boxes to UK players for a long while yet ......

I don`t know a single person who has ever bought a new Chinese PW or Erica
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 09:14:28 AM by Adam-T »
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 12:10:24 PM »

I bought a new PW a few years ago, as an emergency spare, but Mary H. is now using it as her learner box.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 11:35:50 PM »

I did. And I know a number of others who have. Perfectly nice box. Attitudes to them are more melodeon snobbery than anything else (IMHO).
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

mselic

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 12:19:34 AM »

I bought a new Erica last year and was happy with it.
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

triskel

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 01:55:18 AM »

The first delivery of Chinese made Black Dots and Pokerworks that I received had issues with the gluing of the reedblocks, all of which I had to glue back together myself.

I also found them very shrill in sound.

I never bought any more.   :(

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 03:22:44 AM »

I intend to grill the local Hohner agent in Sydney tomorrow morning, and will report back....

Spoke to the Hohner agent in Sydney who has (so far) received no notification of manufacture of any current melodeon models being discontinued.

It seems likely that maybe it is Hohner USA who are no longer intending to distribute or hold these models in stock, but they will continue to be manufactured, and supplied to order.
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

The Blues Viking

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 05:30:04 AM »

Not wishing to cause panic (as if   >:E ), but I've today been told by a usually reliable source in the US that Hohner is about to discontinue manufacturing the Erica, DoubleRay and Pokerwork models.

Anyone able to confirm this?

I can. these three models, plus the Morgane, are going away in the USA; I can't speak to their availability in Europe. There are still some new ones out there but the supply is rapidly dwindling. As far as I know, though, Weltmeister is still selling 2-rows here in the intermediate price range and the more expensive boxes don't appear to be going anywhere for the time being.

TBV

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 09:47:21 PM »

This is interesting news, but it hardly makes a difference as nothing I have ordered from Hohner in the last 4 months has ever shown up at my shop. This includes parts.
 The other drawback is the crappy warranty, 90 days on a $6000 Anacleto? Fortunately I have other suppliers for parts for those.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

pipives

• Respected Sage
    • Pip Ives
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 05:01:46 PM »

I do (sadly) have an update on this for Hohner in the UK and Europe. I work for Hobgoblin  *not the beer firm* (as some of you know) and we have just had an email from Sutherland, the UK distributors of Hohner. This just in from Steve Proctor

"The factory in China have decided with Hohner that the keys of C/F, B/C and D/G are not being produced in big enough quantities to warrant worldwide re-manufacturing, but A/D and G/C are. The bodies (pokerwork and Erica) will still be produced but only in those two key combinations.
There will be no D/G 2915 (pokerwork) or B/C Erica by September.
Morgane and Merlin are totally finished and discontinued"

You heard it here first folks..........

:(

Faversham, Kent

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 05:07:30 PM »

Well time to start buying everything that turns up on eBay then :)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 05:11:07 PM »

Well that is the end of an era. 
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

AirTime

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 05:21:36 PM »

There's a lot about this that doesn't make sense to me. If the market in the US is primarily for Hispanic style playing, why doesn't Hohner produce a box that is optimized for that market ie. no bass reed block & a BIG air button?

This would also seem to represent something of a business opportunity for Sandpiper. Do they have any presence in continental Europe? To my reckoning Sandpipers represent a much closer approximation to the "modern" Italian diatonic box than Hohner's Morgane line.
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 11:07:23 AM »

Better all get looking after your Hohner 2 rows then !!  and more to the point, fettling as many E-Bay scrappers and clunkers as you can find, I can`t see a shortage for a long while (especially over here) ...

No doubt they`ll  continue to make the Chinese Coronas and Compadres for the Tex/Mex market - though the BCC# compadre no doubt will finally be put to rest (a mercy killing that one - LOL)
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal