Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner models to be discontinued???  (Read 20151 times)

Sebastian

Re: Hohner models to be discontinued???
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2016, 05:54:48 PM »

I expect they [i. e. Weltmeister] 'll be upping production and sales of their Wiener 86W pokerwork-style model.
Normally they copy what Hohner is doing - only a little later.

Hasse

• Respected Sage
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2016, 08:08:12 PM »

I bought a second-hand Weltmeister, sight unseen and very cheaply, some time ago, with the aim of using the bellows for a tuning rig. It was not a bad instrument in either sound or build quality, and, although not quite as good as the German-made Hohners I have, it compared favourably to any of the Chinese Hohners in D/G that I've heard and played. I hadn't the heart to break it up, and sold it on for a good price. I expect they'll be upping production and sales of their Wiener 86W pokerwork-style model.

I don't no about their 86W pokerwork-style model, but I've tried others and they were in fact good value for the money, and 8-10 years I had some contact with the factory and they were very kind, flexible and honest about there products. They even offered to put in TAM reeds in some boxes (if I only send the reeds to the factory), but I never got around to doing that.

So besides tradition, it might not be a such big deal if Hohner cuts of their accordion production. If only Weltmeister are able to continue to deliver as to day or even better...!

« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 08:37:38 PM by Hasse »
Sweden, Skåne

melodeon

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2016, 03:45:58 PM »

"Several companies have tried the Tex-mex market without much success. That crowd is incredibly brand loyal regardless of where it is actually made. They want something that says Hohner on it regardless of quality."

Also true of Gabanelli(sp). Overpriced, modest quality, cheapest reeds available, and poor customer service. In spite of that, the TEX-Mex/Norteno players still aspire to own one.  Reinstones, eagles and sparkle finish ... that'll do it every time.

Gibert Reyes took over Hohner's  USA accordion operation and initially was somewhat successful. Seems things have changed. Hohner customer service and repair department have slid to an all time low. Prices have climbed and product quality decreased.

There was talk of new 2 row Ericas aimed at the Dominican market.. prototypes were made.. nothing happened.. instead you get ANCLETA (sp) 3  rows made in Italy (perhaps)  by "others"  and obscenely overpriced.

That's what happens when you sell out to  an off shore dog food manufacturer.

Hohner's pricing has changed ( in the USA)  mostly because of greed but also Hohner distancing themselves from their customers and dealers.

Dealers do not buy from Hohner, they buy from a variety of distributors. And distributors means another tier of profit taking.
It's all about the value of Hohner stock and feeding the stock holders,. It is no longer about the product. And that is the reason for crap Clarks shoes, and trash Levis and useless cartoons of Converse tennis shoes.  Greed.

Sebastian

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2016, 05:40:45 PM »

That's what happens when you sell out to  an off shore dog food manufacturer.

AirTime

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2016, 06:11:16 PM »

Reinstones, eagles and sparkle finish ... that'll do it every time.

It is fascinating how the development of the aesthetics of the "Mexican" diatonic accordion & the modern "European" diatonic box are diametrically opposed.
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2016, 11:12:29 PM »

A lot has changed with Hohner this year. They were bought by KMC (a Korean company) last summer and have pulled distribution from the wholesale music companies and you can only get them from Hohner.

I was at the NAMM show this winter and everything was different. the accordions were off to the side in a small area and were no longer front and center, the booth was huge but mostly KMCs other lines of instruments.

I had an appointment (they wanted to talk to me) but it was pretty pointless (no change there) my comments regarding parts pricing ($2.50 ea for a bassoon valve anyone?) and the general QC problems (i get better service from some Chinese based companies , new instruments needing $300+ tuning) and the general problem of instruments online for basically my wholesale price.
 This was politely acknowledged and ignored but I did not expect different, they wanted to know what I would like to order.

Don't even get me started about Mike Gabbanelli.

Weltmeister has dropped a bunch of their button box lines but they still make the 86w. They dropped the 509 31 button and now have a 34 button model. I can order these with hand finished reeds if you want a more Italian sound, it is a pretty reasonable option and can be done in a large  number of keys.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2016, 11:39:21 PM »

Ouch.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

melodeon

« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2016, 01:25:56 AM »

« Reply #45 on: Yesterday at 11:12:29 PM »

ReplyQuote

"A lot has changed with Hohner this year. They were bought by KMC (a Korean company) last summer and have pulled distribution from the wholesale music companies and you can only get them from Hohner.

I was at the NAMM show this winter and everything was different. the accordions were off to the side in a small area and were no longer front and center, the booth was huge but mostly KMCs other lines of instruments.

I had an appointment (they wanted to talk to me) but it was pretty pointless (no change there) my comments regarding parts pricing ($2.50 ea for a bassoon valve anyone?) and the general QC problems (i get better service from some Chinese based companies , new instruments needing $300+ tuning) and the general problem of instruments online for basically my wholesale price.
 This was politely acknowledged and ignored but I did not expect different, they wanted to know what I would like to order.

Don't even get me started about Mike Gabbanelli.

Weltmeister has dropped a bunch of their button box lines but they still make the 86w. They dropped the 509 31 button and now have a 34 button model. I can order these with hand finished reeds if you want a more Italian sound, it is a pretty reasonable option and can be done in a large  number of keys."

In talking with the Button Box,  I believe they related that they no longer deal with Hohner direct to order, but through a distributor. I am confused.

A  few years back Gilbert Reyes of Hohner asked me to be a dealer.  He sent me two new Xtreme 3 rows.   I returned both as defective, one the action and tuning, the other some reeds simply did not speak at all, dead.  I returned them both and was told I was mistaken, that they both played perfectly.
I was a wholesale account for Hohner America for over 30 years,,.. that all ended when XX  left and went to Ireland. He was the best. Parts were reasonable and service was excellent. Not so any more any more  and Gilbert Reyes stated to me several times over the years that when he was hired, the goal was to organize, standardize and elevate the product and service quality.
I'll call the mission a failure.

Having spent much of my career as a corporate trainer, specializing in teaching customer service..Gabbanelli would be the focus of what not to do, at any level. I especially like Mike Gabbanelli  on E-Bay with prices lower than their MSRP and lower than dealer's cost.  Nice to have competition from your supplier. Perfectly  acceptable to misrepresent reed maker and quality, and origin of the product.
In  conversations with MG over the years.. how do they stay in business other than having created a myth about the product.

Then there is Brillingtton (sp), what a crock that is.  Elio Gabbanelli my donkey.

triskel

« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2016, 02:24:28 AM »

It is fascinating how the development of the aesthetics of the "Mexican" diatonic accordion & the modern "European" diatonic box are diametrically opposed.

I must confess that, if I was looking for a 3-row (which I'm not, unless I suddenly decide to upsticks and move to Dartmoor!), I'd be tempted more by the aesthetics of the Portuguese "concertina" models, whilst their metal grilles & fretted keyboard plates would help produce more the sound I'd be looking for too:

triskel

« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2016, 02:35:15 AM »

I was a wholesale account for Hohner America for over 30 years,,.. that all ended when XX  left and went to Ireland. He was the best. Parts were reasonable and service was excellent.

I've known Rick since the days he had a workshop in Spiddal, and before he was recruited by Hohner. They couldn't have taken on a better man, with his skills, interest and inventiveness. As well as the repairs and spares side of things, he was also liaising with the factories in China that were supplying Hohner North America with free reed instruments, and inventing a new harmonica. But we all have to retire sometime...  :(

Sebastian

melodeon

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2016, 03:38:39 PM »

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/StephenChambers/Dp4Moderno.jpg

That is the ultimate in cool!

I want one !

Rick Epping was the best.
He helped me with projects such as modifying Pokerworks and supplying me with discarded reed blocks which I would rebuild and modify and always great advice and encouragement.

If I recall he was an "English" concertina player of some skill.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 03:41:44 PM by melodeon »

triskel

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2016, 08:35:46 PM »

If I recall he was an "English" concertina player of some skill.

His main instrument is harmonica, but he tends to play that in a holder around his neck and use his English concertina to accompany himself on it: Rick Epping, Iron Lung, at NHL H2004 Festival

He also plays banjo and Jew's harp.

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2016, 03:49:51 PM »

Another, slightly Hohner-related example of a head-scratcher.
If there was ever a Latino free-reed culture, it would be here in the States, would have thought.
Maybe Hohner isn't selling as many GCF's as they used to.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

melodeon

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2016, 03:33:43 AM »

P R I C E

Lars

« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2016, 09:57:19 AM »

P R I C E

Yeah, the new prices for a Corona does not match what you actually get.

I've sold a couple of Coronas to Texas. Around here (Denmark) there is absolutely no market for old G/C/F's whatsoever, so they are regularly for sale under 100 euros. Even with eBay prices + shipping + duties, it's worth importing to the US and fix up - plus, one might argue that the quality will be as good, or better than a new Corona.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
DG pokerwork RIP?
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2016, 10:30:30 AM »

This appeared of the Twittersphere this morning, from Dave Jolly, now in France

So here's a shock then! Hohner are discontinuing amongst other of there range the 2915 Pokerwork D/G!!! It is sad news for sure and a strange thing to do. I have just taken delivery of possibility the last 3 available from Hohner. I have 2 in D/G and one in C/G. They are available at a very good price so if anyone is interested please message me for details.

While this might be a shrewd ruse to whip up business in the Autumnal calm before British melodeoninsas cut out the German middleman and buy direct from Shanhai … it has a ring of truth.

Anyone else heard anything
  _       _    _      _ 

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: DG pokerwork RIP?
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2016, 10:50:05 AM »

[[ADMIN]]

Topics merged.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 10:51:50 AM by Theo »
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2016, 11:00:44 AM »

Well done Theo. Had missed the earlier thread and though this was news. Did search, but for the wrong words. I'm no longer surprised at the events of the summer, if the Germans can do this to us. It is a dastardly blow against all English Folk music, and Morris dancing in particular ;)

Have cross posted this thread there - the poor people in Twitterland are all in shock!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 11:05:15 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2016, 11:30:20 AM »

Or, it might be an opportunity for someone to produce their own version of this popular box.

John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal