Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner models to be discontinued???  (Read 20152 times)

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
Re: Hohner models to be discontinued???
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2016, 11:46:37 AM »

It was very noticeable at Swanage FF last week that Hohner boxes are in a distinct minority. I have seen a few Pokerworks over the past few weeks Morrising, but they served to illustrate that they are the exception.
Still saw a few Erica style boxes, but they mostly looked old.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2016, 11:56:18 AM »

... if the Germans can do this to us. It is a dastardly blow against all English Folk music, and Morris dancing in particular ;)

Nothing to do with Germans.  Hohner is now owned by KHS a Tiawanese company.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2016, 12:46:48 PM »

A sad reflection on the ways of the world. I'm tempted to compose a suitable tune in memory of the discarded Pokerworks of my youth. Trouble is, I don't have a decent Pokerwork to play it on...and I've spent up for at least this year.
We never fully appreciate things until they are gone...
Old Bones Dance Band

melodeon

« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2016, 02:45:45 PM »

KHS also manufactures dog food..  FYI

george garside

« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2016, 02:50:07 PM »

does this mean that the secondhand value of decent pokerworks and ericas will rise  and that restoration thereof will be more worthwhile??

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2016, 02:58:18 PM »

I'm tempted to compose a suitable tune in memory of the discarded Pokerworks of my youth.

Or a song? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC3Dn5ParEE
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2016, 03:06:57 PM »

I'm tempted to compose a suitable tune in memory of the discarded Pokerworks of my youth.

Or a song? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC3Dn5ParEE

Ah... 'The Sound of Hohner', that one never tires  :|||:
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Guy

• Not quite enough melodeons....
    • Cats Claw
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2016, 10:33:19 PM »

Or maybe it's just time to move on. I'm sure that supporters of the pipe and tabor for Morris had the same laments for their demise....
Guy, in South Wales

Cats Claw, http://www.cats-claw.co.uk

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2016, 11:01:07 PM »

"Or maybe it's just time to move on."

Perhaps you're right, Guy. But the thing here is more that the melodeonistas are being forced to move on. The (part) phrase "All we, like sheep" has been running through my mind for the past week or so, as I've travelled for miles on three lane motorways having to observe a 50 mph speed limit, and being forced to remove plastic Crocs and braces at airports, because I look so much like a terrorist.
Hohner/KHS, or whoever, are added to a long line of folk restricting our choice, just because they can, and just because we let them! Baaaaaaaah!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2016, 11:56:59 PM »

.......... a long line of folk restricting our choice.........

I think the range of different D/G boxes readily available in the UK market has never been greater, and with a very broad range of price and quality.
I'm sure many on this forum can remember the time when the only choice was either a Pokerwork or a red Erica.

Nobody has been forced to move on, D/G melodeonistas have been voting with their credit cards for years and most of that 'new box' money has not gone to Hohner/KHS. And I'm sure this is equally true in many other markets.
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

melodeon

« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2016, 01:25:40 AM »

Looks to me as there is a definite opening for a replacement for HOHNER Corp.

Modestly priced, light, fast, fun , affordable, easy to repair...iconic sound.. but perhaps with something more than Hohner's "almost" tuning

TomBom

• Respected Sage
« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2016, 03:51:16 AM »

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2016, 08:11:30 AM »

Looks to me as there is a definite opening for a replacement for HOHNER Corp.

Modestly priced, light, fast, fun , affordable, easy to repair...iconic sound.. but perhaps with something more than Hohner's "almost" tuning

I think that need's being fulfilled quite well by the excellent box fettlers well known in this forum who are restoring old Hohners to good playable condition. That's fine until the supply of old Hohners runs out, of course...

When it comes to making new boxes, I don't see how it can be done cheaply and well enough. The  Chinese made Sandpiper (or the Weltmeister Pokerwork-alike) might be the nearest thing. A highly automated production line and absolutely standardised boxes might lower costs, but the production volumes would have to be enormous to pay for the setup costs.

Melnet's "21st Century box" thread explores some of the possibilities of using new materials and techniques, but nobody's yet gone into production with the ideas being thrown around there.

On the brighter side, there are many really good individual makers around - if you can afford it, there's lots of quality and choice at that end of the market.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2016, 10:11:31 AM »

quote "Modestly priced, light, fast, fun , affordable, easy to repair...iconic sound.. "
Whilst I agree with this excellent description, something that IanD of this parish comes to mind.
If you don't know Ian, he plays for Hammersmith MM and has a 'robust' method of playing.
In a previous thread somewhere here, he talks about going up to Cecil Sharp House once a year ( maybe every other year? ) and selecting a new Pokerwork. The previous one had basically been destroyed by hard playing throughout it's life with Smiffs.
Later they happened to be near Castagnari's factory ( house! ) and bought a more expensive but bottom of the range Castagnari Studio...... after being passed around the side I think it now has a more peaceful life with a new owner.
Point being, pay a little more and you get a better made more robust product albeit without the classic Hohner sound. Maybe this is what the buying public are doing?

Also bear in mind current trends. I'm reminded of a mountain bike god, Keith Bontrager who built one of a handful of the best steel framed mountain bikes in the world, a limited production in his garage in Santa Cruise Cal.. He ended up working for Trek as a designer ( a massive global bike firm) simply because steel went out of fashion and aluminium became popular and trendy for the masses so his market disappeared to all but a few 'steel is real' diehards.
The buying public can be fickle!
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2016, 12:05:26 PM »

"Nobody has been forced to move on"

Of course they haven't! It's just me, venting my anger and frustration at being "controlled" by agents of the Nanny-State. Sorry for bringing it here.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Scobarandbar

• Good talker
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2016, 09:53:29 PM »

quote "Modestly priced, light, fast, fun , affordable, easy to repair...iconic sound.. "
Whilst I agree with this excellent description, something that IanD of this parish comes to mind.
If you don't know Ian, he plays for Hammersmith MM and has a 'robust' method of playing.
In a previous thread somewhere here, he talks about going up to Cecil Sharp House once a year ( maybe every other year? ) and selecting a new Pokerwork. The previous one had basically been destroyed by hard playing throughout it's life with Smiffs.
Later they happened to be near Castagnari's factory ( house! ) and bought a more expensive but bottom of the range Castagnari Studio...... after being passed around the side I think it now has a more peaceful life with a new owner.
Point being, pay a little more and you get a better made more robust product albeit without the classic Hohner sound. Maybe this is what the buying public are doing?

Also bear in mind current trends. I'm reminded of a mountain bike god, Keith Bontrager who built one of a handful of the best steel framed mountain bikes in the world, a limited production in his garage in Santa Cruise Cal.. He ended up working for Trek as a designer ( a massive global bike firm) simply because steel went out of fashion and aluminium became popular and trendy for the masses so his market disappeared to all but a few 'steel is real' diehards.
cheers
Q
My first post and it's not melodeon related! (sorry) I still have my Bontrager steel frame.  Its really rusty and has gone through loads of bike bits over the years and still goes! (although it is now a pub bike)

I had it in Whitby this year and road down from the Rugby club campsite every morning into town.

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2016, 10:56:59 PM »

cheers
Q
Early on Smiffs switched to black Ericas as being more comfortable to play; the side used to have two "working" boxes and replaced one each year, so they lasted two years before being sold off cheaply (and knackered) to people who wanted a cheap box to learn on -- and we did use to go down to CSH and try all the ones they'd got and pick the best, they were very variable. Sounds extravagant but they were less than a couple of hundred quid, which means the team spent a few quid a week to provide instruments so that musicians didn't have to wreck their own. Yes we had some *very* hard box players in those days...

After the booking where we had both boxes with us and one blew a reed on the first dance and the other blew a reed on the second dance, we did get a Studio which was the mainstay of the side for quite a few years (with very few broken reeds, but not with as good a sound for morris in my opinion) until we discovered Oakwoods -- which the side didn't buy, but people who could afford them did, and the team box idea fell out of use.

These were the best box around for morris (and many other things) until they got rare, expensive and irreplaceable, and now almost all the box players in the team have Baffetti Bincis which I think (others may disagree...) sound better than Hohners for morris, and are certainly louder, easier to play and more robust and reliable. I think we could put up a set of eight if everyone brought theirs along, though this would probably mean ear defenders would be needed...
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2016, 07:56:24 AM »

Scobarandbar: Welcome! Yes I still have a Bontrager too though sadly doesn't get used as I have a more modern bike, which seems to be a direct copy. Steel of course!

IanD: Hiya, than you for confirming my memory's still ok-ish!

I wonder if Smiffs experience is reflected across the board - in some people's opinions better products have come along, generally people's buying power has increased therefore affecting the Pokerwork's  niche in the market which has now diminished.

I would think the overall view would be that if demand for a product outstripped supply, no manufacturer would kill off their main money making product.
But if sales drop to a point where it isn't profitable....... no manufactures can continue making products that don't sell in sufficient quantities to be profitable.
Perhaps that's the case here?
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2016, 12:53:36 PM »

Hohner showed zero interest when I pointed out the melnet '4th button' vote to them in a letter and continued to pump in market unsuitable boxes … when there are 1000's of 2nd hands out there which can be converted as a cheaper option.

There seem to be  ever increasing numbers of fettlers ready to take up this new market opportunity this 'might' even end up in reverse exports back into EU (Dave Jolly is already there). But in the end we'd need some real sales figures to judge.

I was certainly disappointed. When I worked in marketing in the 70's they taught us that the secret was to research what the market wanted, and then supply that profitably, and in volume.  Yes, as I said earlier the common pathway seems to be 2nd hander to see if you like it, then an upmarket box.  Some maybe Hohner are just in the wrong place?

Are they even tuning into this discussion?
  _       _    _      _ 

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2016, 12:58:22 PM »

Hohner showed zero interest when I pointed out the melnet '4th button' vote to them in a letter and continued to pump in market unsuitable boxes … when there are 1000's of 2nd hands out there which can be converted as a cheaper option.

3rd button start boxes are not 'unsuitable boxes', they have met the market need since the 60's quite happily. 4th button start players are in the minority.

Also the market for D/G boxes is mostly restricted to the British market which is tiny amongst all the others.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal