Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner models to be discontinued???  (Read 20153 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: Hohner models to be discontinued???
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2016, 01:16:44 PM »

3rd button start boxes are not 'unsuitable boxes', they have met the market need since the 60's quite happily. 4th button start players are in the minority. 

Beg to differ in that, Lester, not that we are ever likely to agree on anything ;). A 'market' is a set of people seeking (or potentially seeking) to buy your product.
Assuming melnet to be reasonably representative of Britain's corps melodeonistae, its 80.6% in favour 4 years ago was ... pretty convincing?

Britain's "special" 3 button start was a straight copy over from the G/C layouts in Europe, and as such made half our keyboard pretty unusable. Guess it was OK for the 1950s, but then, we all went happily around in Ford Anglias in those days? I think the great number of posts here looking for either a 4th start purchase, or advice on conversion tells its own tale, and I've yet to see one on how to change things back again

However our little island is capable of far more momentous decisions on far smaller majorities, and there does seem to be a "back to the 1950's" mood about. But I don't share it (:)

Also the market for D/G boxes is mostly restricted to the British market which is tiny amongst all the others.

Very true - though I saw some in Sweden at their Squeeze In. And that is the essence of our problem. There are 2 ways of solving it, though.
  _       _    _      _ 

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2016, 01:25:20 PM »

Assuming melnet to be reasonably representative of Britain's corps melodeonistae, its 80.6% in favour 4 years ago was ... pretty convincing?

Even if mel.net were to be representative which I'm not sure you could prove the 54 votes for a 4th button start is only 80% of the respondents (67). If you measure it as 54 out of the electorate (mel.net membership) it comes out at 54/2582 ~2%.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2016, 01:27:25 PM »

Er, given the events of this summer we should perhaps keep away from any "% of electorate" question >:E  but point taken
  _       _    _      _ 

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2016, 01:49:09 PM »

Erm..... to divert you two for a second......

Is the Pokerwork production ending  worldwide, or is it just Europe/DG production?

The niche market of DG has been mentioned many times, we forget we are only a small island with a relatively few box players compared to the vast GC playing Europe. Another possible nail in the Pokerwork's coffin
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2016, 02:13:28 PM »

Those questions answered earlier in the this topic
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

triskel

« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2016, 02:48:56 PM »

KHS also manufactures dog food..  FYI

As far as I can see KHS are 100% a musical instrument company Jeff, with some very good brands.

Are you maybe thinking of the Kalamazoo Humane Society, the Kauai Humane Society, the Kentucky Humane Society or somesuch, who provide dog food?  :o

melodeon

« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2016, 03:03:24 PM »

At one time, they also exported bananas.. fact.

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2016, 03:21:33 PM »

I got the impression that KHS musical is a division of a larger organisation.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

triskel

« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2016, 05:16:13 PM »

At one time, they also exported bananas.. fact.
I got the impression that KHS musical is a division of a larger organisation.

Yes, according to their timeline, KHS Enterprise established KHS Trading Co., Ltd., in 1966, to export bananas and import musical instruments, PE gear and equipment for schools.

Then in 1969 they became allied with Yamaha when Taiwan Yamaha Musical Instruments was co-founded by both KHS and Yamaha for piano production.

KHS Enterprise was then divided into three entities:

wKHS Musical Instruments Co., Ltd. produces and exports wind instruments and percussions.

wKHS Investing Co., Ltd. manufactures and sells motorcycles.

wKHS Trading Co., Ltd. is the agency importing musical instruments from YAMAHA.

And if you follow the KHS link that I posted previously, you will learn more about the background of the firm, going back to 1930.

But there's no hint that they ever made anything like dog food, whilst they already had a number of prominent musical instrument brands long before acquiring Hohner: Brands and Products

Jan Ivarson

• My wife says I do not need another Hohner
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2016, 07:38:20 PM »

Very true - though I saw some in Sweden at their Squeeze In. And that is the essence of our problem. There are 2 ways of solving it, though.

Who could have been at the Swedish Squeeze In with D/G box? A lady from Trollhättan? Not the other 4 Swedish D/G players in Stockholm - we are not that many D/G players in Sweden. I am one of the Stockholm D/G players but never managed to participate in the Squeeze In. I bought my first D/G pokerwork from Hobgoblin at Durham Folk Festival 1981 for £ 110. It was later replaced by a new from Music Room in 2002. 

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2016, 08:06:35 PM »

Anyone know anything about the Hohner Cap Horn 3 row, 12 bass? (didn't want to start a whole new thread but feel free to move).
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2016, 08:13:52 PM »

Anyone know anything about the Hohner Cap Horn 3 row, 12 bass? (didn't want to start a whole new thread but feel free to move).

http://www.hohner.fr/fileadmin/hohner_group/company_hohner_france/00_website/Catalogue_French/Catalogue_Accordeons_2012_Web.pdf

Hasse

• Respected Sage
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2016, 10:12:45 PM »

Who could have been at the Swedish Squeeze In with D/G box? A lady from Trollhättan? Not the other 4 Swedish D/G players in Stockholm - we are not that many D/G players in Sweden. I am one of the Stockholm D/G players but never managed to participate in the Squeeze In. I bought my first D/G pokerwork from Hobgoblin at Durham Folk Festival 1981 for £ 110. It was later replaced by a new from Music Room in 2002.

I was there! :||: Been living in Sweden with my D/G boxes for 22 years now. Its true that there aren’t many D/G players in Sweden mostly G/C and A/D, though I get the feeling that more and more pick up the D/G box these days as a nice fiddle friendly alternative to the G/C and A/D.

Also the market for D/G boxes is mostly restricted to the British market which is tiny amongst all the others.

In Denmark the D/G box is also the big favorite, but the danish market for D/G boxes are of course even smaller compared to the UK, so…
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 10:54:52 PM by Hasse »
Sweden, Skåne

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2016, 01:40:51 AM »

http://www.hohner.fr/fileadmin/hohner_group/company_hohner_france/00_website/Catalogue_French/Catalogue_Accordeons_2012_Web.pdf

Interesting that in the description of the pokerwork (2915), it states "Existe aussi en 2915 LUXE"
Any one have any idea just what that refers to? Presumably some sort of modification from the standard model.

(Maybe this should be a new thread???)
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

melodeon

« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2016, 02:43:37 AM »

Many years ago I recall as if it were yesterday the KHS was taking over Hohner.  On their resume was DOG FOOD.. I recall this as if it was this morning. Do I have proof, after these many years no.. except for the shock value of dog food along with banana exportation forever  imprinted in my brain.   D O G   F O O D !      HOHNER DOG FOOD !

If you search further, bananas show up, not dog food. Would you really want dog food on your resume ?  Bananas yes, dog food no.

After that announcement I never bought another non German made Hohner. 

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2016, 08:18:35 AM »

If HOHNER DOG FOOD has also been discontinued, then what are you griping at? I just cannot see what the complaint is. As much as I cannot stand dogs of any description, surely they have a right to food, and I'm quite sure that (unlike the warnings that nuts might be used in the same factory as the dog food is manufactured) the dog food would never come into contact with the melodeons!

I think we need Graham Chapman to come on stage and stop this, as being "Too silly!"
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2016, 08:55:50 AM »

[[ADMIN]]

Locked. We seem to have exhausted this topic!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal