Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ABC transposing halftone  (Read 3054 times)

deltasalmon

ABC transposing halftone
« on: May 11, 2016, 04:20:16 PM »

Hi. I've been trying to practice playing in other keys and since each key has a different layout on a semitone box using sheet music has helped me. I had a question about transposing. I use the Sessionite ABC transposer and it works great and makes it very easy to transpose tunes I know. Click "tune up" and it transposes up a whole tone and click "tune down" and it transposes down a whole tone. My question comes to getting all 12 keys which requires tuning a semitone.

If I have a tune in D and want to transpose to Eb is it as simple as using the ABC transpose to tune up to E and then editing the K:E and changing it to K:Eb? All the notes should flatten (or all the sharps will become natural) just by changing the key signature, correct?
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: ABC transposing halftone
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 04:40:46 PM »

That appears to work. I checked it by transposing a tune in D to E and then editing the K: field as suggested and it gave the same result as using EasyABC edit ti transpose 1 semitone.

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 04:45:09 PM »

It might not, always.  If you have a G sharp accidental in the D tune (as in Da Slockit Light or St Anne's Reel), taking it up to E will make that note into an A sharp accidental.  When you change the key signature to E flat in the header, the sharp on the A won't change.  You'll have to make it into an A natural manually.
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 06:08:02 PM »

If you use ABC Explorer on your PC, you can transpose in halftones up or down.

The feature is a bit hidden away - open abc file for editing in ABCExploer.
In the lower right notation pane, you'll find a whitish button above the keyboard towards the right hand end.
This is 'Tune Tools' and Transpose is one of the available tabs. I usually also select the 'no checking' option to avoid occasional ABC syntax warnings.
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

deltasalmon

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 06:27:53 PM »

It might not, always.  If you have a G sharp accidental in the D tune (as in Da Slockit Light or St Anne's Reel), taking it up to E will make that note into an A sharp accidental.  When you change the key signature to E flat in the header, the sharp on the A won't change.  You'll have to make it into an A natural manually.

Thanks for pointing this out. As long as there are no accidentals outside of the key signature this will still work then?

If that's the case then I can do it that way and just make sure to pay attention when I see a "^" or "_" in the ABC.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

deltasalmon

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 06:29:49 PM »

I wasn't aware that EasyABC (ABC Explorer might also) uses abc2abc to transpose. I have abc2abc on my computer so I guess I just have to RTFM and learn how to use it. Thanks
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

jorden

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 07:47:50 PM »

Alternatively, http://mandolintab.net/abcconverter.php might be of help?

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 08:07:20 PM »

I wasn't aware that EasyABC (ABC Explorer might also) uses abc2abc to transpose. I have abc2abc on my computer so I guess I just have to RTFM and learn how to use it. Thanks

Code: [Select]
abc2abc infile.abc -t 1
will output abc one semitone higher.

abc2abc infile.abc -t -1
will output abc one semitone lower.

abc2abc infile.abc -t 1 > outfile.abc
will output new abc to outfile.abc.

N.B.  infile.abc and outfile.abc can of course be whatever file names you require.

to learn more about abc2abc

abc2abc -h
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 08:27:08 PM »

In practice I find it usually has to be

abc2abc infile.abc -e -t -1 >outfile.abc

The -e tells it to ignore errors, and abc2abc is terribly picky and thinks all sorts of perfectly legitimate notation is wrong.

But it will transpose up or down any number of semitones (where did this "only a whole tone at a time" rubbish come from?), and it will convert all accidentals and chords properly, with entertaining results if you put something in quotes that wasn't meant to be a chord.  All you have to do is work out how many semitones there are from G to E flat, or whatever.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 09:08:05 PM »

So how do you tell it to transpose one piece to F sharp and another to G flat?

Software that can't tell the difference will make a pig's breakfast of a lot of Schubert.
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 09:41:42 PM »

Yes, it's still broken for that. It only transposes to F sharp (I just tried) and there's no way of transposing to C sharp or C flat either: it will just sneak round the other way and make then D flat and B.

So machine transpose to G followed by manual intervention to change key sig to G flat, and watch out for accidentals, I suppose.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal