Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dusty End  (Read 1756 times)

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
Dusty End
« on: May 26, 2016, 06:56:04 PM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=px70FCYwAeo

Thought I'd write a tune to force me to use the higher end of the keyboard. I might get round to a recording later.
EDIT - Dusty End OK just recorded it and uploaded to youtube.

There is an obvious edit half way through, but thought that it was ok, as it is not a video of a performance, rather so that you can hear the tune.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:45:04 PM by playandteach »
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Peter Savage

• Respected Sage
Re: Dusty End
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 06:29:19 PM »

Very nice. A question from me as a non-G/C player.  I always thought that most tunes on G/C were played at the chin end of the keyboard and therefore the dusty end was the knee end.  Am I missing something?

Grape Ape

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 06:37:41 PM »

Never understood the whole dusty end thing.  I have had boxes in everything but DG and have always played both octaves and often between the two.  It would never occur to me that half the buttons could be there just to look pretty....

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 06:53:57 PM »

everything but DG

That's the clue. The D/G system is the highest pitched of all common key pairings (there are a few E/A boxes a tone higher still) and the high octave is really squeaky, especially if you don't have a low octave reed bank.

So D/G players don't use that octave so much, but instead they would like the lower notes that you can get on a G/C, and that's why there's a certain amount of pressure to get D/G boxes made 4th button start so there are more (relatively) low notes, and if necessary to sacrifice the highest notes for that purpose.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

playandteach

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 07:04:32 PM »

Very nice. A question from me as a non-G/C player.  I always thought that most tunes on G/C were played at the chin end of the keyboard and therefore the dusty end was the knee end.  Am I missing something?
I agree. This uses the knee end buttons in the top octave.

arty

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 08:18:35 PM »

As a G/C player myself, I don't have a dusty end, so I don't understand why you refer to your higher notes as such.
That's the beauty of G/C over a D/G, which does have a dusty end - I can play the whole instrument, and I frequently do, without getting my ears pierced.
Nice tune though P&T !
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Grape Ape

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 08:20:30 PM »

I think you have that reversed, Baz.  Usually the "chin end" or lower octave is thought of as the dusty end on a GC, whereas the "knee end" or higher octave is considered the "dusty end" on a DG.  I can't speak to the DG, and Anahata already has, but on a GC I think tunes sound good on either end or on either octave, as with AD, especially BbEb, and even CF, though there the upper octave does get a bit squeeky for my taste. 

Irregardless, I really like the tune.  Very delicious, er I mean Delicqious!

playandteach

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 09:43:09 PM »

Irregardless, I really like the tune.  Very delicious, er I mean Delicqious!
Now that's really made my evening.

Grape Ape

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 09:51:17 PM »

;D

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 05:59:51 PM »

I play both GC and DG and agree that you play the whole keyboard on a GC, whereas this is less so on a DG unless you invest in a three voice instrument with a bank of low reeds. This opens up the whole range and for me makes DG much more flexible. 90% of my DG playing uses these low reeds with the result that I no longer suffer from a dusty end!

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 09:58:39 AM »

Concur totally with Tufty. Getting LMM voiced kit truly opened up both ends for me, though you actually only need LM. I very rarely use all three on my VdAa and Gaillard only offers 2 voice anyway!

Just keep going, playing known tunes in upper octave, until your fingers can do it "without thought". It works, but takes practice.

looking back up the thread - lovely tune in its own right. Thanks
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 10:00:36 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal