Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Milleret Announces Instructional Video Series for the Fall  (Read 3152 times)

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
Milleret Announces Instructional Video Series for the Fall
« on: June 02, 2016, 05:45:51 PM »

Chris mentioned this elsewhere, but Milleret has announced it himself.

http://accordeonaire.blogspot.com/2016/06/stephane-milleret-announces-instruction.html
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: Milleret Announces Instructional Video Series for the Fall
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 09:42:26 PM »

Have just got them, in "alpha". The first is his hesitation waltz, the little wizard. The tune was written for a friend's son.

Nice gentle pace, but with some rather off centre rhythm in the B part. And (typical M-P!) what I term a "fizzing", maj7#4 chord in  there. That's actually not too bizarre … he explains that's just a minor 9 on a different bass, totally diatonic and works on any 2 row.  But you could clean your teeth with it.  ;) stef also demos some rather cool right end chording, very simply, essentially 3 fingers laid across the rows.

[ed] it's on his G/C/accs - so easier to follow on a G/C box, though the fingering would "transpose"
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 10:33:19 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Stef Milleret 10x monthly Instructional Video Series for September
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 06:00:51 PM »

As it happens ;) Stef is one of the impro leads here in St Pierre (lovely place incidentally). The packages will be in Euros of course, and it seems the £ is a bit happier then last month!  He says it will be €12 per video but he wants to offer a deep discount for people who commit. Just €70 for a year subscription of 102 ten videos - so 30% 42% off (:)

Little Wizard is also offered as a "taster" at €5 - close to a no-brainer in my opinion as I got several technical tips and a new tune out of that one! Sadly Mustradem can't pass that into the annual sub trop compliqué for their web administrator, it seems.

I've seen 5, of them now in beta form and will probably "play" two of the tunes in the longer run, maybe another if it turns up in a session ::) but I got ideas and technical stuff from all five. Think of this as a technical class on 3 row with extended bass.

To be clear: Stéf lives in G/C land. To learn most easily I'd recommend having at least a 2 row of that genre. Other tricks, like his ornaments, rhythm ideas and bass runs would transfer easily to say a D/G Mori with extended bass, once you'd got the hand of the basic tune.

NB these lessons are en français and use do,ré,mi (English sub titles in A,Bb,C# format by yours truly)  And I am still finding uses for  that chord!

[edited Saturday]
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 09:05:48 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 07:58:56 PM »

Are these, then effectively mainly useful for more than 8 basses?
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Corinto

• Regular debater
  • Spain/Brasil/Belgium
Re: Stef Milleret 10x monthly Instructional Video Series for September
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 09:53:02 PM »

The packages will be in Euros of course, and it seems the £ is a bit happier then last month! He says it will be €12 per video but he wants to offer a deep discount for people who commit. Just €70 for a year subscription of 12 videos - so 30% off.

12 videos at €12 each = 144 euros, so 70 euros is more than 50+ % off. Yes?

Or is it a yearly subscription of 10 videos? 41+ % off. Yes?
Carpe diem, C.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 09:01:49 AM »

Are these, then effectively mainly useful for more than 8 basses?

Horses for courses. The tunes play on 2 rows, helper rows make them easier. We all have a nicely designed 8 bass core - if you want to implement the bass run ideas you'll want a 12 or more (which is what such extras are about).

The rhythm ideas can be applied on any accordion, and are what Stéphane is most known for in metropolitan France. Ditto things like 'cuts' and 'mordants' are explained at a speed one can understand in one of the later lessons … etcetera, etcetera. I guess he's based it on experience with his own students here in Rhône-Alps

Apologies for my mis-edit - a year is 10 videos. Not sure how he managed to tell me "douze" rather than "dix" but we were both a bit tired. And I did the % in my head too (twice!). Yes, €50 off 120 calculates as 41.66% in the cool light of day

Will update nearer the end of month, but I am advised that things are on target. The lessons will publish 1st mondays, starting September next, 10 per year, with "holidays" in July and August.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 09:10:35 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
  _       _    _      _ 

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 09:13:42 AM »

Now integrated into the wider Mustradem site. The URL hints that other instruments are planned.

http://www.mustradem.com/videos-pedagogiques/diato

You can see the course as 10 new tunes - which they are - but each also explores an area of technique that will be more generally useful in your kitbag. eg I learned a new approach to triplets from the dame aux clebs bourrée.

The course will be much easier to follow on a GC, as used by the teacher! Helper buttons and bass extend are nice, but not 'necessary'
  _       _    _      _ 

Bobtheboat

• 'On the cut' near Lichfield, UK
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 02:16:23 PM »

Do you know if there are any plans for English subtitles for those without French Chris? Bob
'Rowbotham Erika Extraordinaire' (12 bass + stop G/C/acc), Hohner Liliput Bb-Eb. Castagnari Rik G/C/acc

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 08:56:13 PM »

Absolutely. I spent April and May writing them for the first 5 episodes - traded for my song accompaniment lessons at Stef's house in May.  I also did subtitles for an 'intro' video. So I am a bit disappointed that it isn't on the sites and that the whole page is in French. But I was just a cog in this project and Stef himself probably didn't do more than advise on the web page itself. They have webmasters down there.

I, and a couple of other facilitators were offered a free sub in an email as I got back from Whitby. Will take it up and check the subs out, but they are stated as present on the page. Basically I got the video and a French transcription sent over,  and sent back same in English with ABC notation. Minims and crochets are blancs and crochets = noirs over there. Confusingly a quaver is a croche = 'hook'  :o quite a lot had to be decontextualised or looked up  in my A level dictionaire. In one case it all turned on a wink that lasted just one frame! That's to say GCSE french doesn't really cover folk music vocabulary - but it is also fully demo'd, at slow speed, on a GC box

Next 5 videos should arrive in a month or so. But I learned a lot of music and 2 tunes that I like (others will like others). So can honestly recommend it. Stef is easily one of the best teachers in Grenoble. And he gave me the maj7#4 chord - which is total diatonic, works on 2 rows, and buzzes with minor poignancy. Its simply eg Em9 on a C bass, but I'd never thought of it in those terms
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 08:58:47 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 07:50:56 PM »

Actually, website is Bi-lingual. A very small drop-down menu in top RH corner of home page allows switch of language. But no indication that lessons have English sub-titles.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 11:16:11 AM »

Well spotted - I was on the French version 'where' (!) it points out - albeit ineffectually - La première saison, de septembre 2016 à juin 2017 comprend 10 épisodes d'une vingtaine de minutes, proposés avec un sous-titrage en anglais.  The 'teaser' first one also mentions that in its 'data sheet' - not that one would look there!

This ain't going too well (I blame Boris ;)) - for any interested I'll paste in the first 4-5 minutes subtitles used in the teaser "p'tit sourcier" below and rattle Stef's cage about the website deficiencies. 

Hello.  Welcome to these online instructional videos.   
This September, to start off, we’ll try a [hesitation] waltz.
The A melody has 2 bars on the pull … and 2 bars on the push
Look out for the pauses in part B!
Part B plays straight through,  but its bars 1, 3, 5, 7 are the same.
Play a C twice on the first beat,  then it’s a quaver rest. 
A note OFF the beat, another rest, and another off beat note
Bar 4,  a quaver rest …
Then back to the beginning.
In bars 1, 3, 5 and 7, on ‘C C ‘ (the initial doubled C) I finger it : RING  then MIDDLE. 
It links them better than using one finger twice. Second time through, the ring finger is used twice, second time off the beat
 … From the beginning  [plays]
Over on left,  we’ll start off with a classic waltz ‘dum cha chaaa’ :  long bass,  short chord,  long chord.
On bar 8, as it’s the the end of the A phrase, we’ll do something a bit different.  Bass over 2 whole beats ; chord for one
The same in part B
On the G7 chord, before going back to A music, and to mark the phrase’s end, a 3 note long bass (for example)
Here in part B, sometimes, instead of  ‘dum cha chaaa’  I’ll play a long bass ending on the 2nd beat ;  a chord on beat 3
Long bass, lift off, and beat 3
That bass ends exactly on beat 2.  Our 2nd  beat is in effect marked by the bass ending.  You shouldn’t change that.  It ends on beat 2
[one two three]
You can do the same sort of thing, but playing bass+chord on the initial beat
Take off on 2nd beat –  then play chord on its own
For Dmin7 I  use a crossed chord. That’s D bass with chords of D+F. Play the three together, and come off. 
Then a straight D chord. Then Fmaj7 = bass F against chords F+A.  All three together and pull off. 
Finally an A chord, alone.
… he goes on to explore rhythm stuctures (his speciality) etc etc

No use without the video, I guess?  ::) The "little wizard" is Jean-Marc Rohard's son, Maxime incidentally :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 10:06:08 PM »

I have just started studying these no doubt fabulous videos and I'm finding it really hard work, verging on impossible. Firstly, he is playing on a 3 row box without saying what key his box is. He appears to be using two outer rows which are I assume C and G and I also assume 4th button start. I then have problem that on my DG box, if I play by ear, all fingering will be different. So, I thought, if I play the same fingering as video it will simply be the same tune in different key. BUT, he plays TOO fast even in initial demo for me to get the tune correct without a lot of trial and error. I think some form of written fingering tab is needed, or he needs to play really really slowly on initial demo. I suspect video only going to be useful for players with same box layout and key. I shall battle on.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 10:00:31 AM »

I have a GC and that's what he's playing. The main rows are "outer" and the "normal" bass buttons are the outer upper 2x4 block on the left.

DG is hard work, though that's what I take to the improvisation week. I've been at French 'tunes' courses in the past with a D/G and … yes it's possible, but there's a dissonance between what your fingers do and the different note that comes out. So basically you need to learn the tune on your head before addressing fingering and rhythm tips

I've stressed "GC" several times, see 7 Sept above.  Looking at their english "boutique" page it doesn't actually say that, and perhaps it should? But GC is the mainstream box over there. Germans or dutch might be on a CF. Sorry, countries differ.

I "believe" Stef's GC box to be standard on the main rows. Both he and Norbert play CF own system for concerts, and … we all have different helper rows.  [ed] I have passed back your comments wrt tablature, and speed

Videos 6,7,8 and 9 arrived over the weekend
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 10:18:37 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Walleye

• Good talker
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 09:49:44 PM »

Sounds like you've completed 5 videos so far--you're the subtittler I assume, and you have 4 more. Do you know why they are only released monthly? If one subscribes, and I have, why can't they all be released at the same time? If one pays for all ten, and ten will be ready shortly, why just release one monthly?

Just wondering.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 11:48:26 AM »

Dunno - that is his 'business paln' and I think he fits the video constructions between concert and festival seasons to some extent. Also … one project a month isn't all that unusual. Look at 'tune of the month' here? Basically "that's how he does it".   

Yes, I got the first 5 in late May, did the ST's in June, and they launched 3 Spetember. I think there's a fair bit of editing to do on each one, and the filming also seems to have 2 cameras. I know he has festivals or courses most weeks through the summer.

For the record his box layout is

o  o  o  o o  o
        o  o  o  o o  o
        o  o  o  o  o  o
   ==============
   ==============
  o  o  o  o  o  o  o  o  o  o
o  o  o  o  o  o  o  o  o  o  o
  o  o  o  o  o  o  o  o  o  o

So top outer left and the outer 2 right rows should be same as any G/C. I haven't asked about 4th start but AFAIR there are acc's at the top end of the right rows too, so 13 helper buttons, very few of which get used in the tunes. Basically just the G# and the reverse G - and he offers workarounds for these if you are set up differently. 

The tunes play French style - in the middle of the rows. On one video he suggests you move a part of it into the lower octave if you have MM voicing but doesn't explain in detail the fingering change.

Basically these videos are aimed at competent/ improver players who can work that sort of thing for themselves. It's more about nuance, left/right rhythm timing, ornaments, riffs (even those he offers 'ideas' and his own line, non proscriptively), sharp v soft button presses, accenting notes with bellows flicks etc

Stef is aware of this conversation - and that following on a DG can be hard work unless you are good 'by ear' … yup! He's already added the following to the course Englsh page  (:)

The lessons are played on a G/C melodeon and are more easily followed on an instrument with these rows available. Helper rows, or extra base buttons will be advantageous, but are not completely necessary.
  _       _    _      _ 

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 11:29:50 AM »

Found this PDF in an old email - it is the 'dots' for lesson 2 (next week) and as you see - fairly complete.  Milleret doesn't do tablature I'm afraid. In France it seems to be very much a 'Trad Magazine' thing. I doubt he's ever heard of ABC

So this is what come with each video …  :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal