Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Playandteach tune book  (Read 52616 times)

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
Re: Playandteach tune book
« Reply #260 on: October 08, 2018, 10:05:51 PM »

Here's a recording of Pavane. It is just done directly to camera, no editing, (and I didn't spot that you couldn't see my right hand until too late - so it's pretty boring to watch). It does however show how the tune goes.
Pavane
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

playandteach

« Reply #261 on: October 10, 2018, 04:31:02 PM »

Here's the tune I wrote for my father-in-law, Ian.
Sadly he died yesterday, so I thought I'd get a version up in his memory. He was a great enthusiast for music.
Ian

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #262 on: October 10, 2018, 05:45:17 PM »

Here's the tune I wrote for my father-in-law, Ian.
Sadly he died yesterday, so I thought I'd get a version up in his memory. He was a great enthusiast for music.
Ian

I'm sorry for your loss. My condolescence goes out to you and your family. Writing and recording this tune must have been quite an experience for you...

I have experienced the same situation about four months ago when my partner's father died and have also written a tune in his remembrance. He passed way too early at 62 years age because of rapidly spreading lymph gland cancer. Maybe one day I will find the power to play through it in one go and even record it. It is still hard to think about him and playing that tune definitely evokes fond memories.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #263 on: October 10, 2018, 06:02:39 PM »

What a lovely thing to do in your time of sadness. And a nice tune to remember him by, God bless you!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #264 on: October 10, 2018, 08:21:33 PM »

A lovely tune understandably played with feeling. Sorry to hear your news, Pete.

playandteach

« Reply #265 on: October 28, 2018, 10:09:03 PM »

Happy Birthday, Rid. One of my best mates. Currently a cellist in Covent Garden, but for nearly 20 years we played and toured together in the Philharmonia. Over the years, we've forgotten exactly which kids which of us (and our wives) are God parents for, because they're all equally important to all of us.
So he's made it to 60.
I've recently taken to writing 3 section tunes, trying for contrast between sections, and leaving out all the complex chords - really trying to capture something with the essence of pieces like Marianne, - based on melodies formed from triads. It's really getting away from trying to make the box more than it is, as it were.
I'm out of licence for Sibelius this week, so this is just on Muse score which I don't know very well.
Hence, each section (with both endings) should be played twice before moving on - effectively 4 x A, 4 x B, 4 x C.
Just to keep things tidy, here's a link to a recording.
Happy 60th Birthday, Rid
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 09:40:05 PM by playandteach »

playandteach

« Reply #266 on: November 11, 2018, 12:46:08 AM »

Here's a couple more (Up the Octave is already on the TOTM page).

Squeaky Pete

• Squeaky Pete
  • Re-hohn a Hohner
« Reply #267 on: November 11, 2018, 09:43:50 AM »

Happy Birthday, Rid. One of my best mates. Currently a cellist in Covent Garden, but for nearly 20 years we played and toured together in the Philharmonia. Over the years, we've forgotten exactly which kids which of us (and our wives) are God parents for, because they're all equally important to all of us.
So he's made it to 60.
I've recently taken to writing 3 section tunes, trying for contrast between sections, and leaving out all the complex chords - really trying to capture something with the essence of pieces like Marianne, - based on melodies formed from triads. It's really getting away from trying to make the box more than it is, as it were.
I'm out of licence for Sibelius this week, so this is just on Muse score which I don't know very well.
Hence, each section (with both endings) should be played twice before moving on - effectively 4 x A, 4 x B, 4 x C.
Just to keep things tidy, here's a link to a recording.
Happy 60th Birthday, Rid
That is a lovely tune. 2 row music at its best.
Poker work DG.
Pariselle 2.6 DG, Ex-Club IIIBS CF,
Matching Liliputs in CF and DG,
Lots of sickly Hohners needing TLC,
Bassoon, Various Bagpipes........

playandteach

« Reply #268 on: November 11, 2018, 09:59:03 AM »

Thanks for the supportive comments.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #269 on: November 13, 2018, 06:46:47 PM »

Here's a couple more (Up the Octave is already on the TOTM page).
Here's one I wrote after thinking about Gena and her exploration of possible layouts.

I'm very happy to have inspired you! I must admit, I have no idea how to play a 5/4 tune though, so, I'm really looking forward to hearing a recording. Or at least a midi, as I can't audiate from a score. At the very least I appreciate that it uses almost all of the bass chords, and the forever juicy B major.

I actually got inspired recently, by an unusual scale some friends were talking about it, and realised that said scale with useful chords was available on my melodeon (4th mode of Melodic Minor, aka, "Melodic Major" aka "Mixolydian b6"). I ended up also writing a tune on the 9th of November (which happens to be my birthday) so it was a nice coincidence to see your post. It's been quite a nice theme this month and seems to be giving quite a few people a creative nudge people!

playandteach

« Reply #270 on: November 13, 2018, 10:02:02 PM »

I can play it in the lower octave fine. I can play it in the upper octave fine. But doing one after the other is a pig for me.
I'll try after a couple of beers.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #271 on: November 13, 2018, 10:07:13 PM »

I can play it in the lower octave fine. I can play it in the upper octave fine. But doing one after the other is a pig for me.
Well, then clearly isn't the answer to play it in both octaves at the same time?

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #272 on: November 13, 2018, 10:10:51 PM »

Well, then clearly isn't the answer to play it in both octaves at the same time?
And thus was born the LMM.
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

playandteach

« Reply #273 on: November 13, 2018, 10:14:49 PM »

I think the answer is more beers.

playandteach

« Reply #274 on: November 13, 2018, 10:33:00 PM »

Seriously though, I can just about play the single melody line in octaves, apart from cruddy finger choices - my hand seems to know when to go for wider finger-spaced octaves or narrow. But the two part harmony writing of course doesn't work simultaneously in both registers as I haven't got enough fingers. Well, not where I need them.

playandteach

« Reply #275 on: November 21, 2018, 11:05:18 PM »

Here's Carousel. Cold fingers didn't help. Summer seems a long time ago. Just as well Eshed has finished walking the wall.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #276 on: November 25, 2018, 12:13:44 PM »

Quoting from ThotM:
Here's a rough version of Up the Octave - really haven't got much time at the moment, so please excuse the one hit recording.
Thanks for the recording! I've principally learnt the tune & worked out my fingering, but, I'm struggling with the 5/4 quite a bit, often falling into a waltz in the harmonised sections. I'm also feeling the tune a fair bit slower. Might yet make it by the end of the month...

Anyway, rather than just an update of that front, wanted to note in bar 32, an E note is played under a high D note, which obviously can't be done by us regular layout folk without access to some degree of reversals. This only affects this octave transition and not the former, and seems to work fine as the high D over an F#, as well as over a D bass, for this one beat, going back as written for the remainder of the bar.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 12:15:17 PM by Gena Crisman »

playandteach

« Reply #277 on: November 25, 2018, 12:26:12 PM »

Perfectly ok slower - I tend to play faster than I did when I first conceived the tunes anyway.
You're right of course about combining D and E - maybe a plus for the reversals. I do it all the time.

playandteach

« Reply #278 on: November 25, 2018, 11:19:28 PM »

You won't find me singing any time soon. But here's a song, with words!
I Did, or didn't I. I think you'll need a 3 voice to play the tune low enough on DG, but no harm in just playing the chords to accompany yourself. I should point out that my wife is genuinely lovely and doesn't snore.
I might put up a GC version of the tune only (no singing) sometime.

SPOILER ALERT: In case the story's not clear, the song implies at the start that the old bloke is just losing his marbles, but it turns out that he's done those things on purpose to do away with his wife.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 08:30:55 PM by playandteach »

playandteach

« Reply #279 on: February 19, 2019, 09:04:52 PM »

Here's a new tune, written for DG.
A section is 6 bar phrases, B section 7 bar phrase, C section 8 bar phrases, hence the title. 6, 7. 8.

I'll try to get a recording uploaded in the next couple of days.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal