Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner reeds.  (Read 2115 times)

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
Hohner reeds.
« on: June 22, 2016, 09:12:42 PM »

Whilst sorting out a set of Hohner D/G reeds today, I came across one that was stamped both "H" and "T", never seen this before, has anyone else ??,  and does anyone actually know what the letters signify ? !!.
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
Re: Hohner reeds.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 09:22:57 PM »

Apparently it's high voltage.  >:E
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 09:32:24 PM »

The general view is that H is for Hohner and T is for Trosingen where the Hohner factory is/was located.  But i think this is just a reasonable guess.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 09:35:19 PM »

Apparently it's high voltage.  >:E

Well I'm Shocked !!
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

melodeon

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 11:21:41 PM »

Not HV  but HT

High Tension

pgroff

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 02:04:29 AM »

I've read some confident statements that the "T" reeds were not produced until after World War 2, but I have reason to question that.

More than once I've seen "T" stamped zinc-plate reeds in accordions that seem to predate the war.

Most recently in a Globe Special D melodeon.  Now, it's possible those reeds were transplanted into that box but I have also noticed photos of another Globe Special with T-stamped zinc plate reeds. Both these boxes had the triad reeds mounted on a single plate which is unusual for Hohner melodeons.

I've also seen the "T" zinc plate reeds in a (seemingly early style of) Hohner pokerwork box, with stepped keyboard, pearl buttons, and wooden fretworked grille. This is a Bb/Eb box and the reeds seemed all-original.

Any thoughts on the possibility of some "T" stamped zinc reeds being produced in the 1930s or even earlier?

PG

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 07:42:30 AM »

I have a single row Vienna style box with zinc plates, with the Gold Medal 1928 markings. The Basses are marked T and the trebles are all marked with a square. No reason to believe that they are not original.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 08:24:11 AM »

I agree Paul that there is not a clear history of the T and H markings.  I've seen both marks used on zinc and on aluminium plates and various combinations of zinc, Al, T and H used in the same box. And of course there are other differences in Hihner reeds that I know you are aware of such as the shape of the reed tongue and the style of rivet clenching.  I've also seen differences in the way the edges of the reed plate are finished - some very square, some slightly rounded.  I assume this latter feature is a result of the process used to cut the reed plate.  None of these fearltures seems to have a clear relation with the T and H markings! 
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 09:25:17 AM »

Since my mystery reed plate (Aluminium by the way ) has both "H" and "T" stamps this would imply that both stamps were used concurrently, so it cant relate to date, The "H" stamp is slightly Fainter than the "T", and offset to the Right of the other letter, and slightly crooked as though it was stamped on using a hand punch.
I just wondered if anyone had ever seen anything like this before. I assume its a Mistake but it would be interesting to know if there was any significance to it.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 09:51:37 AM »

My Club II which was Bb/Eb, has both types of reeds, with one treble block being T and the other being H.
It is dated about 1935

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal