Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there one piece of music that has taught you more than any other?  (Read 5357 times)

stevejay

Re: Is there one piece of music that has taught you more than any other?
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 07:02:03 PM »

Delilah of course !
Lots of cross row playing , and in waltz time, with a non standard chord sequence !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQIK3Te9Coo

You do mean the above?

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2016, 07:24:01 PM »

Yes, but without the black wig and microbephone.  :||:
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2016, 02:30:06 PM »

I seem to go through a succession of tunes that  ticked this box. Probably the first was Lester's setting of Princes Royal. Others include L'Inconnue De Limoise for switching between rows to get different harmonies and Ollie King's Polperro Bay which was the first tune of any complexity I can remember working out by ear and got my playing across the rows. Anahata's video on more interesting ways to play Bear Dance was another milestone.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2016, 09:45:35 AM »

Probably "Madame Bonaparte".

I've played it for years, it was the first piece I ever learned to play by ear.  I've experimented with it, both right and left hands, used different speeds, every thing from slow air to breakneck, different rhythms. Just about every way you can butcher a tune I've butchered it over the years.  It's one of my "go to " tunes if I'm trying out a new box.

Each time I play it anew I can learn something new from it.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2016, 10:17:57 AM »

I've written some tunes on the melodeon recently - and naturally choose things that come to hand. Then I wrote a couple for the melodeon, but sitting at the piano. These, understandably, were less immediate to come under hand. But I did them at the piano for just that reason. I'm working on one of them now that needs a precise choice of fingering otherwise I run out of fingers. I'm enjoying working on it, though. It's the No More Fridays tune on the Playandteach tune book thread.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2016, 12:39:50 PM »

Probably "Madame Bonaparte".

I've played it for years, it was the first piece I ever learned to play by ear.  I've experimented with it, both right and left hands, used different speeds, every thing from slow air to breakneck, different rhythms. Just about every way you can butcher a tune I've butchered it over the years.  It's one of my "go to " tunes if I'm trying out a new box.

Each time I play it anew I can learn something new from it.

Have you come across the northumbrian piper's variation sets? Billy Pigg's set is difficult beyond belief in places but the common one is approchable if you play it at a steady pace, it's also a lot of fun!

X:1
T:Madame Bonaparte
M:4/4
L:1/8
Q:1/4=150
R:Hornpipe
K:G
d>c|:B2 B>A B>dB>G|c2 c>B c>ec>A|G>Bd>f g>fg>e|d2-d>e d>cB>A|
B2 B>A B>dB>G|c>Bc>d e>fg>e|d>BG>B c>AF>A|1 G2 G>F G2 d>c:|2 G2 G>F G2 B>A|
|:G>Bd>f g>fg>e|d2-d>e d>cB>A|G>Bd>f g>fg>e|d2-d>e d>cB>A|
(3Bcd G>d B>dG>d|c>e A>e c>e A>e|B>dG>d B>dG>G|F>A D>A F>A (3d^c=c|
B>dG>d B>dG>B|c>Bc>d e>fg>e|d>BG>B c>AF>A|1 G2 G>F G2 B>A:|2 G2 G>F G2 (3d^c=c|
|:B2 B>A (3Bcd B>G|c2c>B (3cde c>A|(3GDG (3BGB (3dBd (3gfe|d2-d>e d>cB>A|
B2 B>A (3Bcd B>G|c>Bc>d e>f (3gfe|(3dBG (3DGB c>AF>A|1 G2 G>F G2 (3d^c=c:|2 G2 G>F G2 B>A|
|:G>B (3def g>a (3gfe|d2-d>e d>cB>A|(3GDG (3BGB (3dBd (3gfe|d2-d>e d>cB>A|
(3GBd (3gdB (3GBd (3gdB|(3Gce (3gec (3Gce (3gec|(3GBd (3gdB (3GBd (3gdB|(3Adf (3afd (3Adf (3afd|
(3GBd (3gdB (3GBd (3gdB|(3cGc (3ece (3gfg (3age|(3GBd (3GBd (3DFA (3DFA|1 (3GBd (3GBd g2 B>A:|2 (3GBd (3GBd g2 d>c|
Q:1/4=130
B2 B>A B>dB>G|c2 c>B c>ec>A|G>Bd>f g>fg>e|d2-d>e d>cB>A|
B2 B>A B>dB>G|c>Bc>d e>fg>e|d>BG>B c>AF>A|G2 (3gfa Hg2|

MP3

PDF
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal