Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Poll

In response to feedback from last years Whitby Folk Week Melnet gathering, what would you like to have this year ?

Option 1: A Melnet meet / open session in the Elsinore on Thursday 1-5, not led, pop in and out as you fancy, other instruments also welcome (as per the last 3 years)
- 5 (33.3%)
Option 2: Option 1, plus a separate Melnet meet on another day, led by someone for 60-90 minutes, no other instruments
- 1 (6.7%)
Option 3: A Melnet meet somewhere led by someone for 60-90 minutes, no other instruments , no open session
- 0 (0%)
Option 4: A Melnet meet in the Elsinore on Thursday 1-2, led by someone, followed by an open session until 5
- 5 (33.3%)
Don't have a Melnet meet
- 4 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whitby Folk Week meet 2016  (Read 17099 times)

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
Re: Whitby Folk Week meet
« Reply #120 on: August 16, 2016, 06:38:10 PM »

I see you've got the one about the incontinent Greek ( 8th down)
There's a Radio 4 programme called Crossing Continents, and I can't hear the phrase correctly - always sounds like Cross Incontinence to me.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2016, 11:45:17 PM »

No, it's for us older folks, who are furious about certain problems that we have. "Cross Incontinents" is more correct and will no doubt be evidenced in the Elsinore and Middle Earth next week (just to bring things back on track) . >:E  :|glug

Chris B.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

george garside

« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2016, 09:33:08 AM »

totally irrelevant but it reminds of   an incident many years ago where a sign on the Dover road from London stating 'Dover for the Continent'' to which somebody had added  ''  Folkstone for the Incontinent''!

george ;D
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2016, 10:01:06 PM »

Thank you George ....
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Mike Gott

• Respected Sage
  • Melodeon and hairy arm
« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2016, 12:35:59 PM »

Here's a short list of tunes that we could play ....
.....Keel Roe in G.....

Is this something that we can get from the chip shop?
"Traditional music was for entertainment, it wasn't for a further education class" (Bob Davenport)

Rivington Morris, Bolton, Lancashire.

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2016, 08:02:31 PM »

Battered - just like you'll be tomorrow .... >:E
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #126 on: August 27, 2016, 03:58:44 PM »

Just back from Whitby. Thought Melnet meet went really well, nice balance of chat and tunes. Met an old friend who I did not know was a member (what name do you post under Trevor?) Thanks to Pikey for sorting it out.

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #127 on: August 27, 2016, 05:05:29 PM »

Just back from Whitby. Thought Melnet meet went really well, nice balance of chat and tunes. Met an old friend who I did not know was a member (what name do you post under Trevor?) Thanks to Pikey for sorting it out.
I would echo that. It seemed people made more of an effort to chat and introduce themselves, which is not easy for everyone but helps enormously. It encouraged me to talk to people more at other sessions. Thanks to all players at the sessions I went to for loads of great tunes and playing. Especially Westmorland which I am def putting on my long list of tunes to learn!
 (:)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 05:07:00 PM by Mike Carney »

Ken Watson

• Good talker
« Reply #128 on: August 27, 2016, 06:18:41 PM »

Thanks to all players at the sessions I went to for loads of great tunes and playing. Especially Westmorland which I am def putting on my long list of tunes to learn!
 (:)
Hi Mike,
If that is The Westmorland Waltz, which I played at my session at Middle Earth, it's on The Boat Band CD "Trip to the Lakes" and the dots are in "Hardcore English" published by EFDSS.
It was originally a jig (in the Walsh manuscript 1718) and The Boat Band turned it into a waltz.

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #129 on: August 27, 2016, 06:39:54 PM »

Cheers for that, Ken.
M
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal