Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Poll

In response to feedback from last years Whitby Folk Week Melnet gathering, what would you like to have this year ?

Option 1: A Melnet meet / open session in the Elsinore on Thursday 1-5, not led, pop in and out as you fancy, other instruments also welcome (as per the last 3 years)
- 5 (33.3%)
Option 2: Option 1, plus a separate Melnet meet on another day, led by someone for 60-90 minutes, no other instruments
- 1 (6.7%)
Option 3: A Melnet meet somewhere led by someone for 60-90 minutes, no other instruments , no open session
- 0 (0%)
Option 4: A Melnet meet in the Elsinore on Thursday 1-2, led by someone, followed by an open session until 5
- 5 (33.3%)
Don't have a Melnet meet
- 4 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Whitby Folk Week meet 2016  (Read 17128 times)

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Re: Whitby Folk Week meet
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2016, 12:51:08 PM »

Thank you both. But would the 1-row fit in with some of the tunes, without clashing with the D/G's somehow? (Hoping for my highly unskilled playing not getting in the way, that is.)
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2016, 01:00:16 PM »

2) A separate social meet somewhere else, on another day, to put names to faces and talk about melodeons. That could work nicely if we have it upstairs in the Middle Earth straight after one of Steve's beginners sessions - how about on the Wednesday at 11:30?

Does that sound like a good approach?
Yes, it's a possibility. However, unless the Middle Earth upstairs space is actually 'booked' as part of the festival by the festival organisers, it tends to get used by non-festival, local, hard-line guitarists and singers who belligerently do their own thing loudly (think 'Wild Rover' with lots of loud stamping/cheering and you'll get the idea) and with little regard for whatever else is going on in the festival space below. :(

My recommendation would be to (a) approach the festival organisers to book the room and (b) approach the Middle Earth landlord with the same end. Otherwise you might be competing with guitars (and possibly banjos  :o).
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2016, 01:02:32 PM »

Thank you both. But would the 1-row fit in with some of the tunes, without clashing with the D/G's somehow? (Hoping for my highly unskilled playing not getting in the way, that is.)

I'm sure there would be opportunity for you to join in with your one-rows. There will be tunes in both D and G. (but not at the same time  ;))
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2016, 01:18:14 PM »

"I like both kinds of music"
 ;)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2016, 01:22:31 PM »

"I like both kinds of music"
 ;)

'Appen...  ;)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2016, 01:52:14 PM »

Believe it or not, I didn't intend to describe the Celebrated Mr P as "fey". I meant to put "key"; admittedly "fey" sounds much more mind-boggling ...   :||:
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2016, 02:12:49 PM »

We seem to be getting a concensus , so my suggestion is:

1) Thursday afternoon in the Elsinore,  tentatively 1pm to 2pm , once the programme is published we will confirm. Advertised on here and social media as  "a melodeon friendly session organised by melodeon.net". With a leader to keep order (I'm happy to volunteer), some gaps between tunes for being sociable and putting names to faces, with tunes that folks can join in with at a reasonable pace - in D/G .  Publish a list of tunes beforehand so people have a chance of joining in.

Followed from 2pm until whenever, an open session for those who want to stay, any instrument,  and for folks to drop in if they've been somewhere else 1-2.

2) A separate social meet somewhere else, on another day, to put names to faces and talk about melodeons. That could work nicely if we have it upstairs in the Middle Earth straight after one of Steve's beginners sessions - how about on the Wednesday at 11:30?

Thursday sounds good to me. If we also meet on Wednesday in the Middle Earth after Steve's workshop, some people might like to stay for my Steady Pace session that starts there at 13.00.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2016, 02:26:02 PM »

Thanks, Steve, that's the sort of thing I was hoping to hear. I was encouraged to keep on trying to befriend these instruments further by seeing a duo known as "Dogwatch" at South Shields Folk Club last night, the lady of the pair played two melodeons very nicely. I was really quite envious!

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2016, 11:10:14 AM »

Time for silly questions again, sorry.

If it was convenient for me to borrow Number-One-Son's car for the day, would I be able to attend this proposed melodeon.net get together without paying for a Whitby Folk Meet ticket? And, would an ancient (firewood) 1-row in D (or G, even) with an unaccomplished player, be able to enjoy trying to join in with the playing of your fancy D/G instruments? (That is, would the tunes be playable on a 1-row, and, would a 1-row not spoil the overall effect for the rest of you, no matter how well or badly it was played?)

This is a very tentative enquiry, at the moment, so no need for any of you to worry unduly.

There's no such thing as a silly question !  (:)
This is a fringe event , so you don't need a Whitby ticket. Entry is free :-)
One rows very welcome , in d or g of both , and you will be able to join in !
Hope you can make it .
Cheers
Pikey
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2016, 11:12:20 AM »

We seem to be getting a concensus , so my suggestion is:

1) Thursday afternoon in the Elsinore,  tentatively 1pm to 2pm , once the programme is published we will confirm. Advertised on here and social media as  "a melodeon friendly session organised by melodeon.net". With a leader to keep order (I'm happy to volunteer), some gaps between tunes for being sociable and putting names to faces, with tunes that folks can join in with at a reasonable pace - in D/G .  Publish a list of tunes beforehand so people have a chance of joining in.

Followed from 2pm until whenever, an open session for those who want to stay, any instrument,  and for folks to drop in if they've been somewhere else 1-2.

Thursday sounds good to me. If we also meet on Wednesday in the Middle Earth after Steve's workshop, some people might like to stay for my Steady Pace session that starts there at 13.00.

I sense a plan brewing .....
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2016, 03:19:02 PM »

Is the E flat/B flat/F session planned for yet?
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2016, 07:38:44 AM »

You are welcome to organise one, Jack, and I'll try to get there. We had a very successful afternoon in 2014, but last year only one other melodeon turned up.
  _       _    _      _ 

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2016, 01:16:48 PM »

Ok, it looks like we nearly  have a plan !

On a day not Thursday:  Melnet meet and greet - put faces to names , and chat about things over a beer / tea / coffee . in a pub . Play a few well known and steady tunes if thats what people want to do, or just chat. Chaired by me and Steve and hopefully Bob.
Ideally straight after Steve Dumpletons beginners melodeon, or Bob Ellis's Tunes at a steady pace hopefully in the same pub.
Tbc once the full programme is out (should be soon)

Thursday 25th August, 1pm to 2:20 session organised by Melnet in the Elsinore. Led by me (and Bob?), steady tunes at an easy pace (list of possible tunes published before ), with gaps to chat and eat crab sandwiches .
2:30 onwards - continue the session for any who want to stay, and anybody who wants to drop in, but without a leader (ie a free flowing session ).

I will confirm all details on here a week before , and also in the folk week newsletter , and on the Folk week and Melnet Facebook pages .

I'll also pull a list of possible tunes from previous similar threads, and publish it on here in the next couple of weeks .

See you there !
Cheers
Pikey
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 05:36:25 PM by pikey »

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2016, 09:52:58 AM »

I hadn't thought of trying to organize a flat key session myself but no problem if I get a festival programme in advance to select a suitable time and place. Maybe that pub at the bottom of the Flowergate again, and pitch it through the Wailer to attract all kinds of flat key instruments, so brass, sax and clarinet players get to hear about it as well?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 09:56:27 AM by Jack Campin »
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2016, 02:19:17 PM »

Good idea Jack

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2016, 09:04:21 AM »

I asked for mine to go on the festival newsletter, but don't think it was ever on their radar. It is a matter of getting a landlord to OK some space. Melnet is a good place to publicise, but flat sessions on particular benefit from some brass, clarinets even.

You can count me in, not got any agenda at all so far.
  _       _    _      _ 

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2016, 09:07:28 AM »

I asked for mine to go on the festival newsletter, but don't think it was ever on their radar. It is a matter of getting a landlord to OK some space. Melnet is a good place to publicise, but flat sessions on particular benefit from some brass, clarinets even.

You can count me in, not got any agenda at all so far.

If it gets off the ground and if it doesn't clash with anything else to which I'm committed, I'll bring my clarinet and come along.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Mike Gott

• Respected Sage
  • Melodeon and hairy arm
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2016, 05:40:05 PM »

...would an ancient (firewood) 1-row in D (or G, even) with an unaccomplished player, be able to enjoy trying to join in with the playing of your fancy D/G instruments? (That is, would the tunes be playable on a 1-row, and, would a 1-row not spoil the overall effect for the rest of you, no matter how well or badly it was played?)...

I've never had a problem with doing just that! Ignore the Castelfidaro bespoke furniture in the avatar picture, if I do make it there, it will be with G and D Hohner 114 1-rows. It's just the quick instrument changes in the tunes that have verses in one key and choruses in the other that I still need to perfect.....

Get there if you can, you'd be very welcome.

Mike
"Traditional music was for entertainment, it wasn't for a further education class" (Bob Davenport)

Rivington Morris, Bolton, Lancashire.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2016, 05:44:27 PM »

It's just the quick instrument changes in the tunes that have verses in one key and choruses in the other that I still need to perfect.....

Like this - seemless

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2016, 05:50:08 PM »

Thanks also to pikey and Mike for further encouragement, I'm now beginning to get a bit excited! However, knowing my luck, Number-One-Son will probably be working the wrong shift that week!!!! I'll find out, for sure, when you lot have actually fixed the time and date.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal