Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Poll

In response to feedback from last years Whitby Folk Week Melnet gathering, what would you like to have this year ?

Option 1: A Melnet meet / open session in the Elsinore on Thursday 1-5, not led, pop in and out as you fancy, other instruments also welcome (as per the last 3 years)
- 5 (33.3%)
Option 2: Option 1, plus a separate Melnet meet on another day, led by someone for 60-90 minutes, no other instruments
- 1 (6.7%)
Option 3: A Melnet meet somewhere led by someone for 60-90 minutes, no other instruments , no open session
- 0 (0%)
Option 4: A Melnet meet in the Elsinore on Thursday 1-2, led by someone, followed by an open session until 5
- 5 (33.3%)
Don't have a Melnet meet
- 4 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Whitby Folk Week meet 2016  (Read 17098 times)

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
Whitby Folk Week meet 2016
« on: June 30, 2016, 03:04:06 PM »

We had feedback from last years Whitby Folk week, including :
A) it seemed cliquey
B) there were other instruments
C) the session wasn't led
D) there were too many melodeons   ::)

So, in the spirit of democracy, what would you like to happen this year?

I prefer option 4, as it's the best of both worlds .

Cheers

Pikey
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 10:23:33 PM by Theo »
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Re: Whitby Folk Week meet
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 03:17:25 PM »

It would just be nice if folks introduced themselves in turn. Before we actually started, and as they arrived. Or summat like that. Be nice to put faces to all these famous names  >:E
Some of you folks have known each other for years, but it's different for us newbies.
Apart from that, I second Option 4.

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 03:39:13 PM »

Ta, it was all my fault last year, I reverted to head down session mode !
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 05:27:25 PM »

Could you just explain a little more how option 4 would work. Eg what would take place between 1 and 2 and what does open mean.. And would it be led.
M

benammiswift

• Regular debater
  • Squeezing for Derbyshire
    • benammiswift.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 07:30:54 PM »

I enjoyed the meetup last year, it was good fun. Who cares if there were other instruments there, you can't say so someone waking in " oh no you can't play with us this is melodeons only".

Another idea, Plenty of us have CF melodeons in a cupboard that don't get used so we could have a CF session or in part a CF session

Benammi
Castagnari Handry 18

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 09:14:40 PM »

Good idea. We had a Bb/Eb session last year, although due to stewarding commitments, I missed it. Wouldn't mind having a rerun of that as well.
C/F though is a great idea. MInd you I would have to buy a bigger motorhome, to carry my, D/G, C/F x 2, and Bb/Eb.

Sir John

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

george garside

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 10:07:06 PM »

non of my business as I won't be at Whitby but for what its worth I think option 4  is the one to go for, particularly if you can con an experienced session leader into running the first hour before the free for all sets in!

whatever you choose I hope it goes well

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 10:22:53 PM »

Sorry to hear you won't be there George.

Sir John

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 11:40:33 PM »

A warning for C/F please, so i can bring my "F" box, and maybe a fiddle for "C" tunes.  :|glug
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 07:26:32 AM »

Only 2 melodeons turned up at the flat keys session, Golden Lion last year. There were some fiddlers, sadly no brass (lots in 2014!). I think we played very little in Bb or Eb, though we had some fun in Cm and Gm.  It was quite lot of work to set up, so  I've got other plans this year.
  _       _    _      _ 

benammiswift

• Regular debater
  • Squeezing for Derbyshire
    • benammiswift.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 02:42:46 PM »

I have a very nice cf and knownotger do aswell so just thought it may be possible.

Benammi
Castagnari Handry 18

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 04:55:08 PM »

Bring it, and I'm sure something will happen. I will bring, either my Liliput C/F, or my Club IV C/F. I will also bring a couple of D/G's, one is for sale, and the other is for playing. Will bring Bb/Eb, as I like it to sing with. I shall be bringing a guitar too. Not going to be any spare space in my van ;)

Sir John.

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 10:57:41 AM »

A few thoughts. I came to the meet last year but had to leave after just over an hour. As someone who has chosen not to have a cellular internet the late change to the start time nobbled me, as only as I was leaving did people really start piling in. My recent experience of larger gatherings leads me to think that a roomful of melodeons playing non stop is not really that great an experience, even for us melodeonists - I enjoy the contributions of other instruments. I could cope for a while, especially if there was time for a bit of chat in between tunes. But I think it would help if it was led at least to start with, to kick a few arses and keep a bit of order. So I think option 4.
 :||:

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 11:44:19 AM »

It would just be nice if folks introduced themselves in turn. Before we actually started, and as they arrived. Or summat like that. Be nice to put faces to all these famous names  >:E
Some of you folks have known each other for years, but it's different for us newbies.
Apart from that, I second Option 4.

Sir John

I agree; I've only been to one melnet Whitby session, and sadly I won't be in the country this August either, but on that one occasion a few people introduced themselves and welcomed me in when I arrived, and from then on it was either make yourself known, guess who people were from snippets of conversation, or accept you were with a bunch of strangers. If I were going to Whitby I'd go for option 4, but as I'm not I won't.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2016, 01:19:39 PM »

Hope I said hello, Graham ::) It was very nice to meet you at last. But I know what you mean.

Both melnet 'meetings' I've got to ... had little conversation apart from old friends and basically became flat out tune sessions. As there was no leader - it felt that the more shy in the room didn't do too well, albeit I accept some don't want to lead a tune. Those gypsy dancers were a nice diversion last year.

Don't know about the rest of folk here here, but I don't find 25 melodeons in unison .. all that beautiful a sound (?) Although bizarrely, eg massed ukuleles seem to work! Last weekend (ECM) I had some fabulous music with 3 fiddles, a good recorder player, rhythm guitar and 1 other box. But were melodeons ever intended to be played 'en masse'? 

So I'm well up for conversation and it's always a pleasure when a stranger at a festival introduces 'hi, aren't you on melodeon.net'  (:) I'll be mainly at the Station, Black Horse and Ship :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2016, 01:56:19 PM »

Yes, Chris, you did, thank you; it was much appreciated.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2016, 02:27:59 PM »

I think you'll find that the gypsy dancers, were the year before last ;)

Sir John

Ken Watson

• Good talker
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2016, 03:10:49 PM »

Those gypsy dancers were a nice diversion last year.
"Those gypsy dancers" were Tommy Orchard and family from Dartmoor, and that was 2014 not last year.

Mike Gott

• Respected Sage
  • Melodeon and hairy arm
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2016, 11:55:01 AM »

Unlikely to make it this year but was there last year, how about just running it as a "session organised by melodeon.net" with a leader, some gaps between tunes for being sociable and putting names to faces, and leave it at that? I'd keep it mainly to D/G of you do, though, not that should exclude a quick blast of something else if sufficient (say) C/F players turn up. I don't particularly enjoy sitting somewhere bored stiff listening to the only person who has turned up with one in F#/D# treating us to a ten minute long self indulgence though. Maybe a hook by the door for egos is a good idea (at all sessions).

Mike
"Traditional music was for entertainment, it wasn't for a further education class" (Bob Davenport)

Rivington Morris, Bolton, Lancashire.

mr hohner

• Regular debater
  • K.BLAND Melodeons
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2016, 12:48:48 PM »

Unlikely to make it this year but was there last year, how about just running it as a "session organised by melodeon.net" with a leader, some gaps between tunes for being sociable and putting names to faces, and leave it at that? I'd keep it mainly to D/G of you do, though, not that should exclude a quick blast of something else if sufficient (say) C/F players turn up. I don't particularly enjoy sitting somewhere bored stiff listening to the only person who has turned up with one in F#/D# treating us to a ten minute long self indulgence though. Maybe a hook by the door for egos is a good idea (at all sessions).

Mike

F#/D#? Now that would be interesting...
Castagnari Studio D/G, Serenelli D/G, Hohner Pokerwork D/G, Castagnari Lilly D/G , Sandpiper Dublin II G/C, Serenelli Silyvia G/Acc
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal