Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for July 2016/August 2016: Play a Tune You've Just Learned  (Read 18431 times)

Grape Ape

Here's one I learned not much earlier! La Discrete by Stephane Delicq - who I have become a complete fan of, at least partly thanks to Arty's enthusiasm and Playandteach kindly providing the dots.

https://youtu.be/PV6DGYQ9FJM

I've been playing this about three weeks and this is the first time I've got all the way through without a major hitch so I'm feeling chuffed!

Really enjoyed that!  I have been working on Nadeija, Valse a Michel, and Vivre.  The first is there, the second well under way, and the third- let's just say I'll get it EVENTUALLY.  I just can't get me enough Stephane Delicq. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 11:25:37 PM by Grape Ape »

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.

How about these for melodeon faces?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

The Happy Wanderer

• Respected Sage
  • Squeezing out Polkas on my Club Accordion.

I'm also grateful for your gift, Happy. I love the enthusiasm you put into your playing, and the obvious joy it gives you, thank you.

Hear hear! I could not agree more!  It always gives me a smile to see you play.  I relate because it's how the box makes me feel as well- though one would never see it in my face the way it shines through on yours.  My melodeon face is more akin to a man with digestive issues sitting on the- well you get the picture.

Happy,
I wish your tetris recording hadn't come out so distorted.  While it does give it a sort of heavy metal feel, I guess I think it subtracts from what is otherwise an excellent performance.

Thanks! :)

It is quite distorted. I would assume the distortion stems from my crappy webcam microphone.  :P
Mundinger Diaton III Grand Luxe C/F Club

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page

I've learned a new tune! I heard this on Owen's wonderful album the other day, and thought, yes, I've got to learn that. And here it is, Le Ruisseau Francais, a tune written by Andre Brunet of De Temps Antan and La Bottine Souriante.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klui6s7dhY8

Played on a Castagnari Mory in D/G.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.

Lovely tune. Lovely playing. Could you tell me your recording equipment?
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page

Lovely tune. Lovely playing. Could you tell me your recording equipment?

Thank you :-) I'm recording onto a Zoom H2 recorder (bought off ebay second hand), which is plugged directly into the USB port of my PC - it then acts as a very good quality usb microphone, rather than the standalone way you normally use a Zoom H2. It's then recorded using Mixcraft 7 which warms the sound up with a few simple effects - I've used other mixing programs for more complex jobs, but for quick 'mix this in 5 mins' jobs Mixcraft is a good compromise between functionality, sound quality, range of effects and usability.

Cheers,

Clive

playandteach

Thanks - I don't get how plugging it in to the usb makes any difference? Also, what do you use for video?

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama

Thanks - I don't get how plugging it in to the usb makes any difference? Also, what do you use for video?

The Zoom will either act as a stand alone recorder, recording to its SD card in the format of your choice (WAV or MP3) then you plug SD card into your PC and import the file. Alternatively you can plug the Zoom into your PC and use it as a USB mic recording directly to your PC via your choice of audio program (Clive uses, MixMatch I use Audacity).

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page

For video, I use a generic (not very good) USB camera - I set it recording in the windows 10 camera application, and start mixcraft running at the same time (set to record off the H2) - so the camera records video and tinny, microphone sound, and mixcraft records a high quality sound channel. I then load the video up in Windows Live Movie Maker, and at the same time export a suitably mixed audio channel from Mixcraft. Load that as an audio file into your Windows Live Movie Maker project... and synchronise them(!) - not as hard as it sounds if you've already clipped the video and audio files to the start and end of the music (throwing all the aborted attempts that you never get to hear on the cutting room floor). Once you've synced them by adjusting the start point of the music clip, you should find that if you listen to it, it sounds like one soundtrack without a delay effect on it. Then just mute the camera soundtrack, leaving the high quality feed as the one you hear. It sounds rather more complex than it actually is - it only takes me a few minutes once I've got a decent recording.

Yes, as Lester says, when you plug the H2 into a PC (and select 'audio interface' on the incredibly small screen), it's no longer a standalone recorder - it's a very high quality microphone that appears as a separate recording source that Mixcraft can record straight off - no need to record files on the Zoom, or to transfer them. It's all done on the PC.

Cheers,

Clive

playandteach

Thanks, that's pretty much what I do with my Yeti mic and audacity, but with clearly better results. I'll try to find time to experiment with mic settings on the Yeti, and look into Mixmatch: I don't find Audacity as nice to edit as Cubase - but I don't have Cubase on my laptop. Is there any quality difference in plugging in the usb of the N2 or is it just convenience? (Sorry for thread drift - no more questions, I promise).

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page

Thanks, that's pretty much what I do with my Yeti mic and audacity, but with clearly better results. I'll try to find time to experiment with mic settings on the Yeti, and look into Mixmatch: I don't find Audacity as nice to edit as Cubase - but I don't have Cubase on my laptop. Is there any quality difference in plugging in the usb of the N2 or is it just convenience? (Sorry for thread drift - no more questions, I promise).

No, there's no difference in sound quality - it's purely a convenience thing :-)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music

For anyone looking for mixing software, Ardour 5, shortly to be released, will include a Windows version.
To avert thread drift, see more at http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,18428.msg232309.html#new
and http://ardour.org/
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

playandteach

Finally took a chance on recording No More Fridays on melodeon. (Also posted this link on the Playandteach tunebook thread).
This time I used a Yeti mic directly into Audacity, with an omnidirectional setting on the mic.

folkbluesnbeyond

• Respected Sage
    • Folkbluesnbeyond

https://youtu.be/oeuC6qI1U4U

Just made it to the tape before month's end. Slow Barn Dance, first heard by me on 17th July 2016. I chose to keep the harmonisation to simple I IV drone, nominally in A but modal without G# so playable on the D/G. Sourced from BBC Radio 2 virtual session which includes the notation.

All the best from sunny Suffolk.

Bill

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips

My dear departed Uncle Horst's old one-row box (in G) arrived today from Hamburg so I've recorded one of Sally Sloane's 'unknown' tunes on it, that I've just picked up from one of John Meredith's 1950's recordings.

https://soundcloud.com/dogbox/bobs-polka

I've never heard anyone else play the tune but its one of my current favourites. To my ears Sally played the tune with a particular emphasis for a dance figure she had in mind. The A part would suit a heel-and-toe polka but the B part sounds different to anything I've heard from recordings of old Australian traditional players.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 03:01:02 AM by smiley »

busbox

• Regular debater

Nice one, Smiley
Definitely German(ic). It is good to hear the tradition surviving in Australia despite our terrible treatment of German people during the war. Please record more with this earthy instrument. You can almost see ghostly dancers.
Cheerio
Tony

arty

Valse a Joseph by Serge Desaunay.....I have been learning this piece for several weeks now and just got it to a point where I can make a recording of it, (meaning I can get from the beginning to the end without making a complete cock-up!).

I have learnt so much from this tune and will continue to do so - my timing is still all over the place, I have to get it smoother, more fluid and more musical but on the whole, I am pleased with it so far. As a piece of music, I love it, I love all it's twists and turns. It has taught me one thing in particular - it is one thing learning a tune so that one gets all the right notes in the right order but it is entirely another thing to be able to play it. Now I have got to learn to play it.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vSTnUaKAnw
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert

Very nice indeed!
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

arty

Thank you Pete! It's hard though....why do we do it???

If you are interested....this is how it should sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK80Gmly7H8
played by the composer himself :-)
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page

... new month, but this month the theme continues for another month so please keep posting here folks :-)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal