Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Krystell  (Read 4642 times)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
Krystell
« on: July 06, 2016, 10:10:02 AM »

While in the Morvan area of France last week, I met a young diatonic accordionist called Pierre Marceau, who plays with the band La P'tite Moisson. Pierre played a tune I really liked called Krystell, but I didn't have a recording device with me and can't remember how the tune goes. I have tried searching for it on the internet, without success, so does anybody know where I might locate the sheet music or a recording of this tune? I think it was a waltz or possibly a mazurka, but I'm not sure about that.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Roger Howard

Re: Krystell
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 10:43:35 AM »

Was it this tune by Christian Maes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OGgfEkF-uY

A solo version here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OutdrrHH6Rs

Hope that helps.  (:)

Roger

G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 12:59:39 PM »

Thanks, Roger. That's the one. No wonder I couldn't find it on the internet - it helps to have the right spelling!

It doesn't surprise me that this waltz was written by Christian Maës, because Pierre had told me that Christian had been his tutor.

Now I just need to find the time to transcribe it!
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 05:05:32 PM »

Sweet tune. Let me know if you want to split the transcribing, as it looks like a good tune for G/C.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 05:24:07 PM »

Sweet tune. Let me know if you want to split the transcribing, as it looks like a good tune for G/C.

I'd say it should be perfect for a G/C box since it is in Am. If you would like to do the transcription, you would be doing me a favour for which I would be most grateful. Since I am busy preparing workshops for Sidmouth and Whitby and transcribing tunes for my book on Yorkshire Dales dance tunes, I ought not to let myself get sidetracked into transcribing a tune for my own pleasure, but I probably will unless the need to do so is removed!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 05:25:58 PM by Bob Ellis »

playandteach

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 05:56:08 PM »

Let me relieve you. I'll work from the solo version to start with - but it will have to wait until next week. If I forget, drop me a pm to put it further up the list.

playandteach

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 05:58:29 PM »

I should say that I'll probably do it in 9/8 unless you have a preference for 3/4 and elect to swing the quavers? (after all that time signature posting, we'd better agree on a convention!).

playandteach

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 06:54:07 PM »

Just been having a quick look at the ensemble version (which I'll now work from) basic tune and chords are easy to notate  beauty comes in the descending bassline in part A, and cycle of fifths in part B. Simple well used conventions, but so nicely handled. My Sibelius software licence is proving troublesome to update, but I can upload the basic tune very soon. Ensemble parts and variations are charming, so I'll try to get round to those later.
Grateful for the heads up for this tune.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 08:55:54 PM »

I would never have thought of notating it in 9/8 time, which probably indicates that your knowledge of music theory is superior to mine. Since it is a waltz, I would have written it out in 3/4 time without considering the alternatives. I will be interested to see and hear how your 9/8 version works out.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 02:00:49 PM »

It don't think it sounds like a waltz.  A mazurka more like.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

playandteach

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 02:08:18 PM »

I quickly enough did the basic tune, but (before laptop crash) was having trouble hearing the harmony and guitar parts. I'll upload the basic bits soon.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 03:33:03 PM »

Here is Christian Maes himself playing it on Chris Gardner's melodeon during a workshop at Melodeons at Witney 2012. I was there and remember the occasion well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miOCDhGUh-U

Edit:
I've just remembered this recording of Christian Maes playing it on a demo he made for Saltarelle. The instrument is a Saltarelle Le Romané
https://player.vimeo.com/video/172076285
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 03:41:21 PM by Steve_freereeder »
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 03:49:56 PM »

It don't think it sounds like a waltz.  A mazurka more like.

Chap himself announces it as a waltz in Steve's link below...mind, I've never really been able to tell the difference philistine that I am.. :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 03:56:11 PM »

I should say that I'll probably do it in 9/8 unless you have a preference for 3/4 and elect to swing the quavers? (after all that time signature posting, we'd better agree on a convention!).

Generally, the convention when notating traditional music is to write waltzes, mazurkas, etc., in simple time i.e. 3/4 and when playing, (as you say) 'swing' the dotted quaver-semiquaver pairs. The same holds for 'dotted hornpipes' which are mostly notated in 2/4 or 4/4 and dotted quaver-semiquaver pairs are played swing style. No-one used to playing traditional music would ever play the dotted rhythms in a strict 'classical' 3 semiquaver -1 semiquaver rhythm. The more relaxed swing style is understood from the outset.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

playandteach

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 05:43:32 PM »

Main reason for that choice was that the guitar is playing straight quavers at the end of the A section, and all instruments play straight quavers for the B section.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 01:15:54 PM »

Nothing seems to have happened with regard to transcribing this tune, so I asked Pierre Marceau to play it again for me when I saw him last month and have finally got round to transcribing it from his recording. This version in A minor is how he played it and how I prefer it, but some people won't have the low notes to play it like this, so I have also transposed it up an octave and have produced another version in E minor. If anyone is interested in the upper octave A minor version or in the E minor version, let me know and I'll post them here.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:18:41 PM by Bob Ellis »

Chris Brimley

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 03:04:55 PM »

The more relaxed swing style is understood from the outset.

I've heard this convention, but I must admit that this seems to me to support the idea that scoring it in 9/8 would be simpler, and closer to the original smoother sound.  In MuseScore, tap the space bar to play, and you'll see what I mean.  (I only say this because I had a very similar experience trying to score King of the Fairies in 4/4, and eventually realising it's in 12/8!)

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 03:28:26 PM »

If anyone is interested in the upper octave A minor version or in the E minor version, let me know and I'll post them here.

Please could you post Em version. Thanks Bob.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
Re: Kristell
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 06:34:44 PM »

Will do so on Sunday - I'm just going out to a Martin Carthy/John Kirkpatrick concert and will also be away from home all day tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 11:03:29 PM by Bob Ellis »

Chris Brimley

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 07:02:38 PM »

Appreciating what's been said about the swings and timings, I suppose it could be written out (simple melody only) something like this (in Am)?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal