Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BCC# simple tunes with chords in RH  (Read 2636 times)

HallelujahAl

BCC# simple tunes with chords in RH
« on: June 20, 2009, 01:28:28 PM »

Hi, am wanting to start playing chords in the RH on my BCC# - can anyone suggest some starter tunes to get me going on this?
AL

Waltham

• Regular debater
Re: BCC# simple tunes with chords in RH
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 02:10:55 PM »

God Save the Queen.  Play it in F, G and A, each has its own challenges/rewards.  Don't go too fast.

george garside

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 11:23:07 AM »

Hi, am wanting to start playing chords in the RH on my BCC# - can anyone suggest some starter tunes to get me going on this?
AL

try The road & the miles tae Dundee in G.  Its nice & slow so gives you plentyof time to experiment wiht different combinations of notes. By using notes of all 3 rows it is feasable to play every note  with at least one other. It is aalso a very useful exercise to help imprint the location of  some of the different combinations that the 'alternative' notes give. eg  bd  middle row  pull, ac middle & inside row pull,  gb middle & outside row push,  af# middle & inside row pull  retc etc

I think that there is a lot to be said for playing aires & waltzes to try out various combinations as  it sounds much better to play a slow tune at something like its proper speed than trying to  a fast one greatly slowed down so it doesnt sound like itself!

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

HallelujahAl

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 11:31:16 AM »

try The road & the miles tae Dundee in G.  Its nice & slow so gives you plentyof time to experiment wiht different combinations of notes. By using notes of all 3 rows it is feasable to play every note  with at least one other. It is aalso a very useful exercise to help imprint the location of  some of the different combinations that the 'alternative' notes give. eg  bd  middle row  pull, ac middle & inside row pull,  gb middle & outside row push,  af# middle & inside row pull  retc etc

I think that there is a lot to be said for playing aires & waltzes to try out various combinations as  it sounds much better to play a slow tune at something like its proper speed than trying to  a fast one greatly slowed down so it doesnt sound like itself!

george

Thanks for this advice George - will follow it. And you're definitely right about the need to imprint the alternatives on my mind. I'm starting now to find, that in E major I'm staying mainly on the B row - whilst if I'm playing in Ab major I'm spending most of the time on the C# row. Which is fine - except that my arms and bellows aren't long enough for some tunes.
AL

george garside

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 12:22:50 PM »

E on the inside rows is just the same as F on the inside rows & Aflat is the same on the insiderow as G on middle row.  you have a couple of alternatives on the outside row  when playing in A flat. However it is so that you can just slip over to the inside rows for the flat keys that I recommend learning to play  it as a 2 row BC to begin with rather than starting by looking for runs in same direction using 3 rows.  #The alternatives then become a sort of bonus to help control bellow opening  instead of /as well as using the air bar.(aiming for as little as possible as often as possible)

A frequent cause of air (or length of arm) problems is being too heavy on  the bass whose reeds are huge & greedy. Aim to tap the bass as if red hot as the norm. Only play long sustained bass chords either becausse you really want to  or where they sound right AND help to move the bellwos in the direction you need them to go - in effect they can be a sort of extra air button.   Much of this depends on the tune being played (or even the bit of the tune)  but in an emergency ( which should occur less as experience is gained)  where the bellows are going  relentlesly outwards (or occasionally inwards)  just stop playing the bass for a bar or two & the bellows movement will dramatically decrease, hopefully giving time to sort things ;ut.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

TonyRussellDavis

• Tony Russell Davis (Black Sheep Tone/BLT)
  • Regular debater
  • Mandos'n'guitars'n'boxes'n'pipes'n'stuff.
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 08:30:39 AM »

Another waltz that has some nice chords is "Lassie wi' the Yellow Coatie". If you like I'll try to tab the first line out? I love that line! T.
Call if you're ever in North Yorkshire.

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
  • B/C/C# Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze
    • Graeme's homepage
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 12:32:16 PM »

Ye banks & braes of Bonnie doon played in G.  I'll show you in September
Black Shand Morino
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal