Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Angle of case  (Read 6318 times)

george garside

Re: Angle of case
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2016, 01:33:26 PM »

any advance on five types of 'strapper'!

george ;D
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2016, 01:39:32 PM »

Hmmm. I use two straps plus back strap. But the box is held on the right hand strap and the backstrap. The left strap is loose on my shoulder. No idea how that works.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2016, 02:00:57 PM »

Would my humble linen wrist strap qualify?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

george garside

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2016, 04:08:03 PM »

that looks like a very good idea and much better than just using the thumbstrap

george

Chris Brimley

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2016, 04:17:25 PM »

any advance on five types of 'strapper'!

george ;D

Yep!  http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,1032.msg9216.html#msg9216

I really can't imagine playing without this, it would just be too wobbly for me to play accurately.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 04:20:05 PM by Chris Brimley »

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2016, 04:30:49 PM »

that looks like a very good idea and much better than just using the thumbstrap

george

Not that I'm one to disagree with George on the subject of straps but the wrist strap looks to me to be far more constricting in access to all 10 keys than the use of a thumb strap is??

911377brian

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2016, 04:38:30 PM »

Hope this isn't polluting the OP's original thread, but where do you stand on the thumb strap endless debate, Lester?

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2016, 04:53:54 PM »

Beating Lester to it. Unscrew it very carefully and put in in a drawer then replace it when selling on.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

911377brian

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2016, 05:10:49 PM »

That's my feeling AT THE MOMENT but during the three years or so since I began playing I've never stopped fiddling around with the disposition of straps in their constant and varied combinations. One day I've got the box on one knee, next day it's snuggled in my lap. Some days the thumb strap is great, next it's just a pain...

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2016, 05:49:47 PM »

Hope this isn't polluting the OP's original thread, but where do you stand on the thumb strap endless debate, Lester?

Mostly when sat down I play one rows on thumb strap only https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAfUpzQ-dIg
and two rows with single strap over the upper arm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj5US62tYlg
and single strap over the shoulder for both when stood up.

But that's just how I do it and in no way the 'best/only way'

KLR

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2016, 11:37:16 PM »

Beating Lester to it. Unscrew it very carefully and put in in a drawer then replace it when selling on.

If you can - the Corona IIIR in my pic has the thumbstrap riveted in place.  You could lever them out I suppose.  A friend came over with his new (old) C#/D Hohner and unceremoniously sliced the thumbstrap off - I put on a show of being visibly upset.  Never use the things either myself but how hard is to just tuck them out of the way?

Two straps becomes sorta mandatory when the box is too heavy.  I try and play even the Corona with one and it's a bit of a haul.  One is OK with dinkier MM 2 row 8 bass boxes though.  I'm just not used to one strap though, I always feel like I'm playing in an earthquake.  I came up with the straps-across-the-chest to find a way to totally do away with slop in the system; that, and I get pinched nerves when there's a lot of weight on my shoulders.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2016, 08:04:43 AM »

If you can - the Corona IIIR in my pic has the thumbstrap riveted in place.  You could lever them out I suppose.  A friend came over with his new (old) C#/D Hohner and unceremoniously sliced the thumbstrap off - I put on a show of being visibly upset.  Never use the things either myself but how hard is to just tuck them out of the way?

When customers ask me to remove Hohner thumb straps I take the keyboard off the box, drill out the rivets, remove the strap and cover the resulting holes with THESE super glued in place.

george garside

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2016, 09:31:26 AM »

good idea! I usually fill unwanted screw holes with very small black dome headed  slotted screws

George.

boxer

• Respected Sage
  • B/C Pokerwork - ultimate ceili box
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2016, 01:12:37 PM »

I use a variation of two shoulder straps mounted in the conventional way, plus back strap

The shoulder straps sit conventionally over each shoulder when I'm playing standing up.  The back strap hitches up on a hook arrangement.  I've found that's the best way to have the straps when I'm standing for perhaps a couple of hours at a time using a Pokerwork.

When I'm sitting down, I'm usually playing a heavier box - mostly a Nuage.  In this position the right hand strap sits as it would normally, but the left side strap, instead of going over my left shoulder, passes underneath my left arm.  Again, the whole lot's hitched up with a back strap.  The left hand strap has to be a bit shorter than it would be for over-the-shoulder, standing up style.

I started using this method when I got the Nuage - the box is quite a bit heavier than my others, and with the left hand strap on my shoulder it was hard work getting the attack on the bellows that I need. With the l/h strap off my shoulder, it still restrains the rightward movement of the keyboard when I push the bellows together, and still saves some of the attrition on my right thumb (which rests on the edge of the keyboard), but the movement of my left arm is not hindered by the weight of the box.  As I'm sitting down and the weight of the box is on my left thigh, supporting it isn't an issue.

Both methods involve a back strap, and it can take a bit of time to get strapped in.  Ladies of my acquaintance have remarked that getting into the harness looks a bit like putting on a brassiere.  Others have remarked that the array of studded and riveted harness work looks like bondage kit. 

How would I know? I'm prepared to take their word for it.  It works for me (musically at least).   
Nuage, Tommy, Cairdin, 
Double Ray DLX 21x12, Black Dot,
Pre-Erica, Pokerwork
plus various stringed things

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2016, 04:59:33 PM »

Another option as used by Chris Ridley of Trigg MM is two shoulder straps but two sets of brackets so the right hand strap is connected to the treble casework as per normal but the left hand strap connects to another set of brackets on the bass end  :o

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2016, 06:33:40 PM »

Another option as used by Chris Ridley of Trigg MM is two shoulder straps but two sets of brackets so the right hand strap is connected to the treble casework as per normal but the left hand strap connects to another set of brackets on the bass end  :o

Now that sounds weird -surely the point of straps is that they're attached to the bits that aren't supposed to move much....?

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2016, 06:41:37 PM »

Now that sounds weird -surely the point of straps is that they're attached to the bits that aren't supposed to move much....?

Graham

Here he is in action

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2016, 07:07:50 PM »

Graham

Here he is in action

Well, it clearly works for him,which is what counts! I note, though, that he plays with a lot more bellows open than I do - whether that has a bearing on the strap arrangement or not I couldn't say. I'll be sticking to my single strap......

Thanks for the link
Graham
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 10:10:30 AM by GPS »
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

boxer

• Respected Sage
  • B/C Pokerwork - ultimate ceili box
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2016, 09:43:08 AM »

I could see the logic of having separate brackets at the extreme left and right of the treble side.
Nuage, Tommy, Cairdin, 
Double Ray DLX 21x12, Black Dot,
Pre-Erica, Pokerwork
plus various stringed things

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2016, 11:37:49 AM »

That must play havok with the shoulders, the straps rubbing backwards and forwards relentlessly .
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal