Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: John MacDonald "new horizons" Rannoch Recordings CD105  (Read 1054 times)

Dally

• C#D Serenellini 'cloud', C#D Hohner, Max D
John MacDonald "new horizons" Rannoch Recordings CD105
« on: July 22, 2016, 09:26:56 PM »

The button box playing on this CD is excellent.  The tunes are Scottish and Irish, and the style is Scottish, along the lines of Fergie MacDonald (it looks like Fergie may have produced it).  It was "recorded, edited and processed" by Addie Harper in Wick.  John has a lot of lift in his playing and he plays very fast.  I will eventually listen to it more closely with "slow downer" software so I can hear everything he is doing in the tunes. 

From the photo it looks like he plays a two and half row.  It sounds like CBC# to me.

Does anyone here know of a way to remove back up from a CD?  The backup, especially the piano, is so far forward in the mix it is often difficult to hear the accordion.  The piano player is very good, but he has that jazzy style that it seems every graduate of the Scottish Academy must employ.  I knew he had been through the Academy the minute I heard him.  Playing on the back of the beat, which is what jazz pianists do, it often feels as if he's dragging.  I would really like to hear Seonaidh Domhnallach (as he is known in the West Highlands where he lives) without all the frosting. 

I can recommend this CD for Seonaidh's playing alone.  But when is trad music in Scotland going to shed jazzy production values?  Does it really sell more CDs?  Granted, I'm an old purest snob, often grumpy.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 09:38:22 PM by Dally »
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
Re: John MacDonald "new horizons" Rannoch Recordings CD105
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 12:35:48 PM »

Check your e-mail John  ;)
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

Dally

• C#D Serenellini 'cloud', C#D Hohner, Max D
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 07:54:12 PM »

Thanks Graham. 
I have listened to this CD on several different machines since I posted the review above.  If you listen to it on a decent stereo system and turn the bass way down you can hear the accordion over the piano a little better.  A Bluetooth speaker is not the best medium for listening to this CD. 
My favorite track is "Road Hog Reels", the first composed by Seonaidh, the second composed by Phil Cunningham, and the third is traditional.  The banjo, fiddle, whistle and guitar back up is very good. 
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 12:02:14 AM »

This is Fergie's lad isn't it? aka John "Fergie MacDonald".  :||: :||:
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 12:08:45 AM »

No, just John MacDonald, a cracking player in his own right   :P

...and bright enough to be seen, even in his dad's shadow.
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 12:27:16 AM »

...and bright enough to be seen, even in his dad's shadow.
That's a brilliant line. I might just steal it from time to time. I remember for years being introduced as Pete's son (I share a name with my dad). The first time in mature company that someone introduced my dad as Pete's dad I felt I had passed a rite of passage.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal