Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maugein Factory visit  (Read 1951 times)

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
Maugein Factory visit
« on: July 26, 2016, 02:48:13 PM »

On a recent trip to France (playing for a visiting morris team) I visited the Maugein factory in Tulle, deep in the heart of Correze. There was a bit of a language gap with some of the technical terms but the key points to emerge for me were: most instruments are made to individual order and customers have a huge range of choices of finish etc. Production is split 50/50% between chromatic and diatonic instruments. Reeds are nailed, not waxed. Having spent two weeks nursing my boxes in 36c + heat I can see the point! For more detail have a look on their website. And yes I did buy one – le p’titou, a Lilly sized box with a very different sound. Soundcloud samples to follow! I had only ever seen one of their instruments in Britain and was very impressed by the quality.

melodeon

Re: Maugein Factory visit
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 04:13:42 PM »

I envy your visit.  I have always been impressed with Maugein.

Anxious to hear clips or fotos of the visit.

Grumpy

• Grumpy
  • Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 05:05:26 PM »

I visited this factory several years back. At that time production had slowed down but P/As were being produced. As has been said it was a surprise that all reeds were nailed with tacks apparently produced for the purpose with large heads, No sealant was used between reed block and reed. All the workers present were happy and taking extreme care over the product. If judging from the welcome and attention we were shown it was obvious they were all proud of a quality product.
Chris D, Surrey, UK
Getting old but still learning. Pokerwork G/D, Saltarelle L'Elfique G/D, Castagnari Lilly G/D and Hohner Liliput Declubed G/D + English concertinas, mandolins, recorders, tin whistles and other items unknown to household managment

rileycat

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 05:38:46 PM »

I'm a recent acquirer of a Maugein 2 voice G/C (2nd hand). Very nice indeed with great response and action plus a lovely resonant bass. I might wet it slightly for personal taste, but I'm extremely pleased with it in every respect.  It feels very well put together and has that immediate feeling that I can play anything I want straight out of the box without any need to become familiar with it - the 'it sort of plays itself' feeling that endears any instrument to me.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 05:53:56 PM »

Met them twice at Ch.d'Ars and nice people. Agree, good product too with some (AFAiR) good innovations

[ed] Wot! No translator ??
  _       _    _      _ 

David J

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 02:06:08 PM »

I visited in 2013, when it was still under the old management http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,2990.msg142324.html#msg142324
A great quality product, but they seemed to have their heads in the sand - hence no surprise to see them in adminstration the following year. I wanted a 3-voice 2.5 row at the time and their offering was very heavy and ponderous, whereas the 2 voice equivalent was the exact opposite (I'm now rather regretting I didn't pursue this  :-\ )

I hope the new owners succeed and expand their market. However, it still looks a bit haphazard. Their website doesn't actually show all the diatonic models available (!) including a new Luigi entry level model http://www.laboiteabretelles.fr/mau/262-luigi.html . Not much info about each model either, including which tunings, keyboard layouts, woods, finishes are offered. The reality is they can do pretty much anything you want - but you have to ask in French first!
Luukinen Elene III, Baffetti Binci, and an increasing number of Hohners

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 03:58:16 PM »

Everything there except price, as far as I can see.

Sir John

http://www.laboiteabretelles.fr/accordeons/14-luthinier-3.html
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

David J

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 06:58:45 PM »

Castagnari-level prices: as I recall in 2014 the 2.5 row 2-voice was €2700 and the 3-voice €3400. And no factory discount offered!
Luukinen Elene III, Baffetti Binci, and an increasing number of Hohners

robotmay

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 12:52:43 AM »

I've played a few Maugeins in France (and own an old one), and I'd say their speciality is more in chromatics than diatonics, as they do have a tendency to make rather large boxes. I do believe they are open to custom one-off orders, however, unlike most other large makers; a friend of mine over there had them build him a custom chromatic box with his altered keyboard system.

If you're after the big French musette sound then they're certainly worth considering ;D

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 02:15:44 PM »

As promised a sample played on the new box. Had a look inside, reeds arranged very much along the lines of a Lilly.
https://soundcloud.com/tuftyabc/maugein-samplemp3
I got the impression that diatonics have been a growing part of their production, now 50% of the total. I was able to play a few and found them all to be responsive, with fast actions. With an annual production of (I was told) under 500 there is room for some very individual orders, some of the paint effects on chromatic boxes were very vivid! All diatonics are in solid, varnished, local timber.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 02:24:09 PM »

Very pleasant sound indeed. Thanks for that.

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal