Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginners Melodeon Hire  (Read 1626 times)

John Welford

Beginners Melodeon Hire
« on: July 29, 2016, 12:21:11 AM »

Having made some disastrous musical purchases in the past - not necessarily bad instruments, just unsuitable for me - I'd like to be able to try a diatonic before committing to a purchase.

I'm afraid that attendance at a beginners weekend course would not be long enough for me so I wonder whether anyone could advise me whether hire of a two row melodeon for a decent period is available anywhere?

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
Re: Beginners Melodeon Hire
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 09:53:48 AM »

You might contact one of the fettlers here - depending on where you live. I did hire one or two myself - I paid £25 a month - though that will change depending on value of instruments and possibly other factors, like length of hire period.
Loffet used to do a hire, and there were offers on the French ebay site for hire. But if you are hiring to try before buying a specific instrument, I've recently contacted a couple of people with sales here to discuss exactly that.
You might need to travel, and references from fellow members might be a good thing. With the fluctuation in box prices at themusicroom in Cleckheaton, it might also be worth giving them a call.
Good luck - I'd advise doing the usual research in what sort of music you want to play - as this could lead you to buy a D/G for English (and wider UK) G/C for French (and wider) or B/C for Irish (you get the drift). I should point out that a switch between the first two is no issue apart from labelling notes, but the B/C system is a different beast.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 09:57:52 AM »

Where are you based?

John Welford

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 12:47:35 AM »

Thank you for the advice about my choices and possibilities.

I live in Scarborough and play folk music, preferably Scottish/Celtic, with an FR1XB into a V3 Desktop expander.
For example this is the sound that can be achieved with the V3 (in the hands of Roy Hendrie):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsP-ocI2vSw

The Roland CBA weighs about 6Kg and is comfortable. The outfit makes a good Scottish noise but it is not an acoustic noise.

I bought a Gaelic IVS recently which sounded just as I liked.
I was winning with the treble keyboard but the instrument proved, even at only 8.5Kg, to have a bass machine that was too weighty for comfort.
It has now moved on to a better home.

I think that ultimately I would like to find a melodeon with a Scottish Musette that was light in weight and not 'squeaky' but first need to discover whether diatonics are for me with something, probably two row, and returnable!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 10:49:22 AM by TW »

John Welford

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 04:12:12 PM »

With sage advice from several members this question has been resolved with the purchase of a beginner box.
The advice was to see whether the melodeon was an instrument I could cope with before worrying too much about details  .. now to see if it 'takes'?
Thanks very much for the help.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 04:15:44 PM by TW »

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 05:47:46 PM »

Hope you stick around this forum. I've found it to be the reason behind my continuing development.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal