Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Could my bellows just be too short?  (Read 4434 times)

Lyra

Re: Could my bellows just be too short?
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2016, 04:09:37 AM »

Keeping the bellows as tight as possible while playing M&P style could be an interesting conundrum.

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2016, 10:20:48 AM »

Throwaway lines like "always aim to keep the bellows as tight as possible" are too specific and not very helpful when you don't know the style of the player you're giving advice to - even the tune they're trying to learn has an impact on whether that is true or not.  I would add that, as a player who uses the full extent of the bellows, I can assure you that there are reasons to use the whole extent sometimes, especially if you play using chords on both hands and it's not just for show!

Air control is a tricky beast at the best of times and the only real advice that works is to make sure your bellows are in the right position for the next passage of notes.  This depends on so many factors (chosen fingering, number of buttons pressed, required volume, the tune being played, etc.) that it would be a surprise indeed if any two players had the same approach.  It has always been a hit and miss affair which you can only really resolve by repeated practice - at least to start with.  I often liken air-management on the melodeon to someone playing snooker ... while it may be possible to pot a ball or two, you can only really win a game by thinking about the position the white ends up in for the next shot.  Similarly you can only really play a tune well if you work out where your bellows need to be for the next note.  The very best players of both can do this almost instinctively in any situation, but that only comes after hours and hours of practice.

This may not be pertinent to the original post though ... we haven't established whether there is an air leak somewhere, or whether the bellows are incredibly stiff - both of which could cause the symptoms described as well as struggling with technique.
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2016, 12:47:02 AM »

"it is really easy for the buttons to change places with each other when I play" - I hadn't realised that this was the box playing silly people (as my sister the priest puts it).  >:E I'd always assumes it was my fault! I shall use this explanation in future!  :||:  ;D  :|glug :|glug

Chris B.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2016, 01:32:46 AM »

"it is really easy for the buttons to change places with each other when I play" - I hadn't realised that this was the box playing silly people (as my sister the priest puts it).  >:E I'd always assumes it was my fault! I shall use this explanation in future!  :||:  ;D  :|glug :|glug

Chris B.

??
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal