Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Air Melodeon...?  (Read 4249 times)

HallelujahAl

Air Melodeon...?
« on: June 25, 2009, 08:52:25 PM »

Hi - am off to Scotland at the weekend for a week long conference and en-route am dropping off my box at Theo's for some tlc. This means that for the whole of the next week I shall be boxless. So...apart from air melodeon, how can I continue to practise for a whole week without a melodeon?
Any and all suggestions gratefully received.
AL

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Air Melodeon...?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 10:34:25 PM »

Hi - am off to Scotland at the weekend for a week long conference and en-route am dropping off my box at Theo's for some tlc. This means that for the whole of the next week I shall be boxless. So...apart from air melodeon, how can I continue to practise for a whole week without a melodeon?
AL

From your previous ramblings  ::) I seem to think you have an Erica and a B/C/C# are they both being fettled?

Waltham

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 10:53:12 PM »

Buy more.  See my posts in "Buy and Sell" for more details.

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 11:20:03 PM »

AL
For situations like this, wouldn't it be a good idea if melodeon repairers had a "courtesy car box" that one could rent or borrow while one's own is in dry dock?

PS Where's your conference taking place?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 11:23:16 PM by Bill Young »

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 07:33:55 AM »

For situations like this, wouldn't it be a good idea if melodeon repairers had a "courtesy car box" that one could rent or borrow while one's own is in dry dock

Fabulous idea
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 07:38:54 AM by Lester »

HallelujahAl

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 08:22:43 AM »

From your previous ramblings   I seem to think you have an Erica and a B/C/C# are they both being fettled?

Yes, Erica is broke at the moment - little D/G out on loan, Heligonka in bits in the workshop and its the BCC# that's going to Theo. It's the BCC# I'm going to miss most anyway as I'm trying my level best to concentrate on that at the moment - all in preparation for Graeme's workshop in September. And for the record the aforementioned Mrs H is adamant that I am not taking my PA!
AL
For situations like this, wouldn't it be a good idea if melodeon repairers had a "courtesy car box" that one could rent or borrow while one's own is in dry dock?

PS Where's your conference taking place?

Hi Bill, what a wonderful idea, a melodeon Library!
Conference is at Aberfoyle - though the seraphic Mrs H and kids are taking a cottage alongside Loch Tay at the same time - so I shall be at Loch Tay hopeful of getting a few days break this weekend till Monday and then Thurs, Fri and at Aberfoyle in between. The frustrating thing is that I know that I'm going to be bored witless and have loads of free time whilst at the conference (don't ask! I'm being sent under duress) - and it'd be a great opportunity to get some serious practice in.

Doing Melodeon Cold Turkey for 8 days is really going to hurt - not sure I'll be able to cope :'(
AL
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 08:43:34 AM by HallelujahAl »

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
  • B/C/C# Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze
    • Graeme's homepage
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 09:10:47 AM »

My Gaelic is sitting doing nothing...
Black Shand Morino

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 09:53:15 AM »

Doing Melodeon Cold Turkey for 8 days is really going to hurt - not sure I'll be able to cope

It happened to me this year when I was in Italy for a fortnight. Travelling on Ryan Air meant that I couldn't take a box with me as well as other stuff. I didn't realise how obsessed I had become until then   . :-[ :-[ :-[
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 09:54:51 AM »

I'm planning on sneaking my concertina into the car for next months camping trip....as I don't think I'd get away with the melodeon....and its better than nothing.

george garside

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 10:03:23 AM »

surely the most portable sook & blaw box is the mouthie - I always take one when flying to foreighn parts with hand luggage ony on ryan air.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 10:09:33 AM »

most portable sook & blaw box is the mouthie

Jings, a moothie  :o :o.

Obvious really  :-[ :-[
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 10:10:43 AM »

When I am away from mine (this will happen less when I get my gig bag from Theo!) I go over playing my tunes in my head. It is not a bad form of practise, but not so much fun  :|||:
I don't get 'jigs'

HallelujahAl

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 10:38:46 AM »

surely the most portable sook & blaw box is the mouthie - I always take one when flying to foreighn parts with hand luggage ony on ryan air.

george

Thanks yet again George - problem solved. I do have a Harmonica in C somewhere - will go and dig it out.
 ;D

My Gaelic is sitting doing nothing...
Looking forward to seeing it in September Graeme - hoping that you don't sell it before I manage to pull the shekels together and get my hands on it!
Blessings!
AL

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 11:05:40 AM »

Conference is at Aberfoyle - though the seraphic Mrs H and kids are taking a cottage alongside Loch Tay at the same time - so I shall be at Loch Tay hopeful of getting a few days break this weekend till Monday and then Thurs, Fri and at Aberfoyle in between. The frustrating thing is that I know that I'm going to be bored witless and have loads of free time whilst at the conference (don't ask! I'm being sent under duress) - and it'd be a great opportunity to get some serious practice in.

Doing Melodeon Cold Turkey for 8 days is really going to hurt - not sure I'll be able to cope :'(
AL

Shame - Loch Tay is too far away to conveniently lend you my Trichord. A mouth-organ does seem to offer some kind of fall-back.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 08:19:17 PM »

Shame - Loch Tay is too far away to conveniently lend you my Trichord. A mouth-organ does seem to offer some kind of fall-back.
Thanks for the kind thought anyway Bill. See you in September at least! Never know, may even have a finished Heligonka with me by then ::)
AL

Andy Simpson

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 08:27:49 PM »

george

I ceased doing so after I came dangerously close to a man with rubber gloves telling me to assume the position after it caused some concern at the X-ray machine at Oslo airport.  :-\

I'm currently boxless at the moment and find that a rest from an instrument often does you good and can get you out of a rut you've fallen into. Without an instrument in your hands to allow muscle memory and old habits to take over I also find it a good opportunity to actually think about my playing.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 04:27:31 PM »

Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

joe

• Regular debater
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 12:42:35 PM »

I remember having a piano keyboard cut-out in a book I was using when I was learning piano (a long time ago...) maybe use the melodeon chord charts in a similar manner? You could even print them out to scale!

HallelujahAl

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 01:46:18 PM »

Thanks for your kind offer Bill, but as you may know, I picked up a wee Hohner Echo III BCC# with 80 bass along the way!
AL
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal