Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your ideal gig bag?  (Read 7050 times)

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
Re: What's your ideal gig bag?
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2016, 04:57:18 PM »

Hi
The ones we have are the Fuselli Pro range with no logo

Will have plenty at Whitby

Pete
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2016, 05:12:17 PM »

I have taken hard cases as cabin baggage many times (when commuting weekly to Vienna) with no problems.

Me too, mainly between UK and Czech Republic - never been asked to check a hard case into the hold.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2016, 05:16:48 PM »

I wish people wouldn't stuff other things in the bag with their instrument.   I've seen too many damaged grills from hard items laid on top.  Your instrument needs protection so please don't put bottles, flasks, microphones, whistles or anything else with hard surfaces in beside or on top of your melodeon.  If you must then at least wrap the extra items in something well padded.

I agree entirely -when I referred to squeezing weekend stuff in I was thinking mainly of clothing; toiletries etc always go in the front pocket. Socks, underwear & T-shirts go in with the box. Fine going out - not so much fun for the airport authorities if they ask you to open it up on the way back........  ;D

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2016, 05:24:02 PM »

I wish people wouldn't stuff other things in the bag with their instrument.   I've seen too many damaged grills from hard items laid on top.  Your instrument needs protection so please don't put bottles, flasks, microphones, whistles or anything else with hard surfaces in beside or on top of your melodeon.  If you must then at least wrap the extra items in something well padded.

You're absolutely right Theo,
At a Bourne River Morris gig for a rotary club in Bournemouth there was a lot of food left over including whole cooked chickens.
Just don't do it! The box smelled of chickens for several years until Tubby Reynolds threw in the river Sid.
 >:E
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 05:25:51 PM by Nick Collis Bird »
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2016, 07:08:43 PM »

Further thoughts re flying...I hit on the idea of fitting my hard case into an ideally sized travel pack - with handy removable shoulder straps. Managed to fit all gear for a week away into pack(in compression bags) with pastourelle 2 in case as well, just within Ryanair hand luggage limits on size and weight. Reckon it's the best compromise for ease of carry and protection - I much prefer this to putting soft gigbag into overhead locker - particularly as hand luggage can end up being put in hold if there is insufficient space...
But it all depends on size and weight of box/case...
Old Bones Dance Band

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2016, 07:36:02 PM »

At a Bourne River Morris gig for a rotary club in Bournemouth there was a lot of food left over including whole cooked chickens.
Just don't do it! The box smelled of chickens for several years until Tubby Reynolds threw in the river Sid.
 >:E
I normally carry at least one large plastic bag in the gig bag. The primary purpose is a rain cover for the box. Other purposes might be available.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2016, 08:22:42 PM »

Pete 's bags are very nice. Not only substantial  zips but straps across the top too so no chance of zip failure. Check out reviews,  one is mine !
Q
Satisfied owner .
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2016, 11:02:27 PM »

Pete 's bags are very nice. Not only substantial  zips but straps across the top too so no chance of zip failure. Check out reviews,  one is mine !
Q
Satisfied owner .

Another vote from me for Pete's bags. They are very good indeed; the best I've ever come across, in fact.
http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,18802.msg229300.html#msg229300

Choose your sizes here:
http://www.acorninstruments.co.uk/listing.cfm?accessories
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2016, 11:45:47 PM »

I have a Tatonka back pack for travelling incognito. Obtained at a very favourable price as it has a non-essential buckle missing, but they're not that expensive on Amazon etc.

It is actually a baby nappy changing out-and-about kit. The main compartment zips go about half way down, so the box drops in and doesn't fall out, it has a changing mat which is very handy when you want to sit down somewhere when you're wearing whites, also useful as a pad between the box and your back.

There is an an insulated pouch, about right for two 500ml cans, numerous pockets, and two external bottle pouches so bottles are accessible but away from the box.
The base is slightly padded. I keep a couple of bar towels there as well, so I can wipe the box down as needed in damp weather. I can get a fleece or other clothing above and around the melodeon, it isn't too bulky overall, and it doesn't announce that there is a musical instrument inside.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Guy

• Not quite enough melodeons....
    • Cats Claw
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2016, 11:03:30 PM »

I wish people wouldn't stuff other things in the bag with their instrument.

I wish I'd heard this advice some time ago! I was playing at a festival in Spain, and part of the deal was free wine with the meals. As it was the main concert later, I thought I'd keep a clear head and save my bottle so stuffed it into the nearest handy receptacle....the melodeon (well padded, expensive) shoulder gig bag. As I was on my way, gig bag happily over my shoulder, I felt something trickling down the back of my leg...as it was bright red, my first thought was that I'd cut myself, then realised the awful truth...the top had come off the bottle. I discarded it in a nearby bin, and luckily was very near the hotel,so squelched across the foyer leaving a trail of red footprints on the light carpet and stood in the lift with other guests, reeking of alcohol. I emptied the case over the bath, dried the instrument as best I could with the hotel towels, threw my clothes into the bath as well, changed hastily and then rushed to the gig just in time to get on stage, with no idea whether the box would play or not. I didn't dare tell the rest of the band....
Fortunately all was ok, and it went very well, but my stress levels sufferered a lot! The melodeon dried out fine, but there were tell tale red wine stains left on the grille cloth...and the other hotel guests were firmly convinced that I was an unreconstructed alcoholic. As the room stank of stale wine for the next few days, I expect the staff did too....
I've never put anything in a gig bag or case since....

Cheers,
Guy
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 11:08:58 PM by Guy »
Guy, in South Wales

Cats Claw, http://www.cats-claw.co.uk

robotmay

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2016, 07:19:21 AM »

I've yet to find a gig bag I actually like. There seems to be some general consensus among bag designers that you should look a bit of a tit whilst wearing it, and that on no account should you be able to fit more than one A4 music book in the pocket. God forbid you have a spiral bound book.

I have my own design for what I'm deeming a "festival" bag, which I haven't gotten around to actually making yet. The idea being that it would have space for carrying a few other bits, as well as being more water-resistant and a bit tougher. Hopefully I'll get some time to make the sodding thing sometime soon, as well as an octagonal wooden case for my maccann concertina ::)

Sage Herb

• Steve Harrison
  • Slaithwaite, UK
    • The Black Box Band
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2016, 07:20:39 AM »

Q
Satisfied owner .

Another vote from me for Pete's bags. They are very good indeed; the best I've ever come across, in fact.
http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,18802.msg229300.html#msg229300

Choose your sizes here:
http://www.acorninstruments.co.uk/listing.cfm?accessories
Absolutely - I recently bought two and they are excellent.
Steve
Hohner Erikas & Club 2s
Hohner gob-harps:
Vega Senator 5-string banjo; Alex Burns plectrum guitar

Black Box Band - www.theblackboxband.co.uk
Annie Dearman & Steve Harrison - www.dearmanharrison.co.uk
Phoenix - www.phoenixdanceband.co.uk
http://soundcloud.com/sage-herb

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2016, 09:01:53 AM »

One thought about an anonymous black gig bag - it is anonymous!
Whilst it might be difficult to distinguish yours amongst a van full of others following a bag drop after a Morris processional, their anonymity to my mind is their advantage.

On a Morris tour around a town or in a crowded pub they blend in and don't stand out in the bag dump. Without that well known logo across the red bags ( and yes I have a small one ) they become another ruckie bag in a pile of others.
To a thief the dont shout ' I'm an expensive instrument, take me'!

I have a friendship bracelet woven in Morris team colours made by my daughter attached to both my bags on their top handles. They are 2-3" of bright colour to help me identify my bag against the others.
Whilst a personalised bag of my chosen fabric would be nice, it might attract unwanted attention from others.
Just a thought!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2016, 09:23:11 AM »

... as well as an octagonal wooden case for my maccann concertina ::)

Beware of making a case which stores the instrument with its axis in a vertical orientation. This causes the downward facing valves to droop under gravity and can eventually end up with a permanent set which causes leakage and other problems. Hexagonal cases such as were supplied with Lachenal concertinas were notorious for this reason, even though they look nice. Wheatstone concertinas were (AFAIK) always supplied with an orthorhombic case in which the concertina laid with its axis horizontal, thus obviating the droopy valve risk. Modern concertina cases are nearly always like that too. If you really must have an octagonal case, make sure you design it so that it can be laid down horizontally.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

NickF

• Regular debater
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2016, 11:26:06 AM »

Yet another recommendation for the bags Pete supplies. Very sturdy & well made!
Serenellini 233, Streb, D/G Pokerwork, D/G Liliput, Bb/Eb Liliput, Bb/Eb Comedy Wardrobe (Hohner Model X), Bb/Eb Accidental Erika

If you can smile when things are going wrong, you must have someone else in mind to blame

robotmay

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2016, 12:23:57 PM »

... as well as an octagonal wooden case for my maccann concertina ::)

Beware of making a case which stores the instrument with its axis in a vertical orientation. This causes the downward facing valves to droop under gravity and can eventually end up with a permanent set which causes leakage and other problems. Hexagonal cases such as were supplied with Lachenal concertinas were notorious for this reason, even though they look nice. Wheatstone concertinas were (AFAIK) always supplied with an orthorhombic case in which the concertina laid with its axis horizontal, thus obviating the droopy valve risk. Modern concertina cases are nearly always like that too. If you really must have an octagonal case, make sure you design it so that it can be laid down horizontally.

Aye, that's the plan! The old cube-ish case for mine is a bit knackered. Planning to build one that opens in half along the long edge, with a shoulder strap and handle attached to both parts of the case, so it can't open accidentally. Honestly most concertina cases are really poorly designed; they nearly all rely on the lock not opening :-\

It's a bit of a big concertina, but having it horizontal on a shoulder strap should be comfortable enough. Probably!

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2016, 12:48:43 PM »

One thought about an anonymous black gig bag - it is anonymous!
Whilst it might be difficult to distinguish yours amongst a van full of others following a bag drop after a Morris processional, their anonymity to my mind is their advantage.

I quickly learned at Gennetines that the instrument shelter (a manned saferoom you can store your instruments in, fantastic idea) was *full* of black melodeon cases, that looked just like mine. Next year I'd put a brightly coloured insulation tape strip down each end of the case - then I could simply ask for the black box with the yellow strip.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2016, 12:50:55 PM »

Yet another recommendation for the bags Pete supplies. Very sturdy & well made!

Yes, ditto. His Mory rucksack bag is versatile, strong, and fits my Mory perfectly. And it goes in an overhead flight bin on a plane. For gigs where there's a lot of other people's stuff (and people) on stage though, if possible I prefer to use a hard case.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2016, 01:29:06 PM »

I think without doubt a hard case gives better protection, but they pull my arms out lumping a hard case around a festival all day.
Something on your back is for me much more portable.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2016, 01:43:58 PM »

I've been known to carry around a second melodeon in another hard case that I hardly use simply to balance the weight when carrying it - carrying a Mory in a hard case unbalanced is a recipe for severe shoulder issues! A rucksack bag is a much better solution! :-)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal