Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your ideal gig bag?  (Read 7049 times)

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
Re: What's your ideal gig bag?
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2016, 12:22:41 AM »

I bought a cheapish one from Hobgoblin, which fairly quickly split at the top seams. Hobgoblin replaced it with no questions, but the replacement split in exactly the same places. I replaced this with a Music Room one (thank you Ron) which has since gone every where with me. Packed carefully, I find that I can even get a melodeon in it. The two straps at the top will quite happily keep a coat under them and one can also be used as a pot holder. I have recently had to debeer it and go back to using the Hobgoblin one - not a pleasant experience at all.

Chris B.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2016, 01:29:44 PM »

Not to get off the subject, but Steve F, does this mean storing a box on it's feet or on it's side? Which side?
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

jonm

• Regular debater
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2016, 03:55:50 PM »

.... and I presume you mean storing concertinas on an edge rather than an end?
Castagnari Mory and Giordy D/G, Hohner Erica, four-stop in G, two-stop in G

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2016, 04:07:03 PM »

I always store my English concertina on its flat sides, thumb straps parallel with the ground.
I.e. In the playing position but on the ground
I have always adopted the habit of either playing it or leaving the concertina in its box in the position described.
My first decent concertina was a Lachenal Edeophone, the 12 sided model. I was told they had a habit of rolling if put on their flats, and as the flat sides are uneven they would roll then topple over onto their buttons and thereby knock out the ebony fretwork.

My melodeon is always standing on its feet, as recommended by Loffet and several others here.
The general concensus here is that in any other position the flaps can develope a set as Steve Freereeder describes.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2016, 10:01:24 PM »

.... and I presume you mean storing concertinas on an edge rather than an end?
Yes - that's what I mean by storing the concertina with the axis horizontal. (good)
Storing it on an end means the axis is vertical. (bad)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2016, 10:12:40 PM »

Not to get off the subject, but Steve F, does this mean storing a box on it's feet or on it's side? Which side?

Melodeons are best stored on their feet (if they have them; not all do, especially one-rows). In other words with the bass end plate downwards and the keyboard upwards, and the axis of the bellows vertical. In this position the reed valves are also normally vertical* and thus the droop risk is minimised.

*Some melodeons (including, e.g. Castagnari Lily; some one-rows) have flat-mounted reed blocks which would theoretically be more likely to develop valve droop when stored in an upright position but I've never noticed this being a significant problem in these instruments. Perhaps concertina valves are more fickle and susceptible to gravy?   
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2016, 11:58:43 PM »

Perhaps concertina valves are more fickle and susceptible to gravy?
Only when played with Bisto...

But concertina valves are typically very thin leather, melodeon/accordion much thicker leather from those I've seen, or plastic of course.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2016, 12:36:12 AM »

Perhaps concertina valves are more fickle and susceptible to gravy?
Only when played with Bisto...

But concertina valves are typically very thin leather, melodeon/accordion much thicker leather from those I've seen, or plastic of course.

Oh bu**er, that should have said gravity! Whoops  :|bl
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2016, 12:44:46 AM »

Oh bu**er, that should have said gravity! Whoops  :|bl

You also seem to have difficulty spelling 'butter', Steve!   >:E
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2016, 08:52:02 AM »

;D
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2016, 07:37:12 PM »

Beware of making a case which stores the instrument with its axis in a vertical orientation. This causes the downward facing valves to droop under gravity and can eventually end up with a permanent set which causes leakage and other problems. Hexagonal cases such as were supplied with Lachenal concertinas were notorious for this reason, even though they look nice.

Surely an octagonal box can be laid horizontally?  Then the remaining issue is to ensure the rotational orientaion is correct - mark one side "TOP"?  The best cure for these problems is to play the thing regularly so that the valves are sucked back into place before they take on a set...

I have a 30 button Stagi in a homemade octagonal case.  I'm sure it's worth more than the 'tina.

Rob.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2016, 09:37:48 PM »

Beware of making a case which stores the instrument with its axis in a vertical orientation. This causes the downward facing valves to droop under gravity and can eventually end up with a permanent set which causes leakage and other problems. Hexagonal cases such as were supplied with Lachenal concertinas were notorious for this reason, even though they look nice.

Surely an octagonal box can be laid horizontally?  Then the remaining issue is to ensure the rotational orientaion is correct - mark one side "TOP"?  The best cure for these problems is to play the thing regularly so that the valves are sucked back into place before they take on a set...

Yes - that's the standard advice for an octagonal box: lay it on its side. The rotational thing doesn't seem to be an issue, especially with Lachenal concertinas which have the reed pans arranged radially.

Regular playing is always good for any instrument.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal